aberdeen-music

Trying out a totally different genre?

Hog

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck genres.

Anyone talking here of "trying out another genre" is narrow minded and posting messages listing their likes is just paying lipservice.

There's only two types of music - good and bad.

If you don't like it after listening to it' date=' then fair enough. If you don't like it becuase it's "nu-country" or "slo-core" and you only listen to Norwegian death Metal (Above The Arctic Circle Scene only) then you're just narrow minded.

Sorry, but if you're the sort of person that sees listening to a music outside your narrow spectrum as being "open minded" then you've got a lot to learn.[/quote']

fuck me...de ja vu....

I've tried to get into classical' date=' but I can only take it in small amounts (I did go to see tourandot at duthie park in the summer, which was great)...

I think the only music I can't listen to, is your generic pop pap...but that's not really music, is it!

I can quite happily listen to Jazz, Rap, metal, indie, electronica, ambient, folk and all their "sub genres"....

as I've always said, there are only two genres of music : good music and bad music.

I just wish I had such a broad taste as mr Peel! but, I am pretty happy with my spectrum.[/quote']

Fuck genres.

Anyone talking here of "trying out another genre" is narrow minded and posting messages listing their likes is just paying lipservice.

There's only two types of music - good and bad.

If you don't like it after listening to it' date=' then fair enough. If you don't like it becuase it's "nu-country" or "slo-core" and you only listen to Norwegian death Metal (Above The Arctic Circle Scene only) then you're just narrow minded.

Sorry, but if you're the sort of person that sees listening to a music outside your narrow spectrum as being "open minded" then you've got a lot to learn.[/quote']

I agree entirely, but I prefer to think about music I like and music I don't like, rather than good and bad music. I appreciate the fact that although I might hate something, someone else might like it, therefore it can't ne bad!!!

It's also interesting that these threads seem to generate some really obscure bands, which is almost like a contest to see who can claim to like to the most sonically challenged.

Why not try listening to something mainstream?

I've tried to get into classical' date=' but I can only take it in small amounts (I did go to see tourandot at duthie park in the summer, which was great)...

[/quote']

Everyone should try to understand classical at some point, not from a technical standpoint but more to develop a deeper appreciation of the potential beauty of instrumental music and to learn how to listen to music in a less literal, naive sense than a diet of pop perhaps produces... Of course, most people have been exposed to classical and this way of listening to music wether they are aware of it or not, in movie soundtracks for years. It's not a huge leap from subliminally enjoying a piece of classical music as an augmentation of a plot development/visual scene in a film, to being able to appreciate such music in it's own right, within your own emotional context.

I think being able to listen to music in this way breaks down a lot of the barriers that prevent people from being a bit more adventurous in what they will have a go at listening to.

In my case sort of yeah! As long as it's not the kind played at broadway shows ;P

Classical music is kinda specific to a time(well, history books tell us when it appeared as a recognisable style of writing etc), if my college memory serves me well it's the late 18th century or so.

What was it re-branded to after that period?

I cant remember, romanticism or such like. :p

I remember getting stuff thrown at us in college "ok, this is classical, this is impressionism" and so on.

Classical was mozart, Baroque bach. Romanticism involved more "pure" (read, boring) structures, wheras neo-classicism appreciates that information can't be divorced from context, hence some drawing on folk music and that. Just words added later which do nothing at all except provide academics with tenure something to argue about.

Neoclassical - Check out Dmitri Shostakovich. He's been floating my boat for a while. Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Prokofiev, Bartok

Edit: agree with whomever put forth that one of the joys about music is broadening your horizons. I'd say anyone who thinks of music defined by genre should listen to more decent music.

Everyone should try to understand classical at some point' date=' not from a technical standpoint but more to develop a deeper appreciation of the potential beauty of instrumental music and to learn how to listen to music in a less literal, naive sense than a diet of pop perhaps produces... Of course, most people have been exposed to classical and this way of listening to music wether they are aware of it or not, in movie soundtracks for years. It's not a huge leap from subliminally enjoying a piece of classical music as an augmentation of a plot development/visual scene in a film, to being able to appreciate such music in it's own right, within your own emotional context.

I think being able to listen to music in this way breaks down a lot of the barriers that prevent people from being a bit more adventurous in what they will have a go at listening to.[/quote']

Very well said, here here :)

Classical was mozart' date=' Baroque bach. Romanticism involved more "pure" (read, boring) structures...[/quote']

Not sure about that. Classical was developed from Baroque, and created more structures, like Sonata Form. Haydn, Mozart and later on Beethoven were the main 'stars' of the style. The Romantic period grew out of the increasing use of free expression and emotion - Beethoven was the man who really straddled the two periods. That's over-simplifying obviously, but to over-over-simplify -

Baroque (Bach, Handel) 1600 - 1750 twiddly interweaving melodies

Classical (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven) 1750 - 1800 chords harmony & structure

Romantic (Chopin, Liszt, Mendelssohn) 1800 - 1900 expressive emotion

Not sure about that. Classical was developed from Baroque' date=' and created more structures, like Sonata Form. Haydn, Mozart and later on Beethoven were the main 'stars' of the style. The Romantic period grew out of the increasing use of free expression and emotion - Beethoven was the man who really straddled the two periods. That's over-simplifying obviously, but to over-over-simplify -

Romantic (Chopin, Liszt, Mendelssohn) 1800 - 1900 expressive emotion[/quote']

So did the "new romantics" of the 80's think they were the contemporary incarnation of the original romantic movement?

So did the "new romantics" of the 80's think they were the contemporary incarnation of the original romantic movement?

Pretty much. The original romantic movement was about more than the music' date=' it was the whole concept of expression through art, literature and fashion too. As I see it, the New Romantics saw the new electronic music as a similar evolution from the downcast feel of punk into something emotional, ethereal and cultured, so tied it in with the original romantic sense of fashion.

NB The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they're talking about.

From 'classical' music (can't be arsed figuring out who was when, reminds me of music theory tests anyway :p) Martinu and Dvorak are ace (I like Fucik because he's Czech too, he wrote Entrance of the Gladiators and his name looks like a rude word, but that's about it), Rachmaninov and Grieg... Prokofiev I like but I only know the hits.

Just in case anyone has been inspired to delve backwards into musical history and wanted suggestions...

All in all I'm pretty narrow minded about music, because I think I know what I like, and as a result I discover bands by accident long after people recommend them. If someone gives me a song or album and tells me I'll love it I'm kind of intent on proving them wrong so I'll listen half heartedly and then say it was okay. But I copy them and might chance upon them later... like how I just 'discovered' Opeth last week after having some CDs lying about for ages.

Pretty much. The original romantic movement was about more than the music' date=' it was the whole concept of expression through art, literature and fashion too. As I see it, the New Romantics saw the new electronic music as a similar evolution from the downcast feel of punk into something emotional, ethereal and cultured, so tied it in with the original romantic sense of fashion.

NB The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they're talking about.

I learned something today, from reading both this post and your previous one.

Thank You!

Not sure about that. Classical was developed from Baroque' date=' and created more structures, like Sonata Form. Haydn, Mozart and later on Beethoven were the main 'stars' of the style. The Romantic period grew out of the increasing use of free expression and emotion - Beethoven was the man who really straddled the two periods. That's over-simplifying obviously, but to over-over-simplify -

Romantic (Chopin, Liszt, Mendelssohn) 1800 - 1900 expressive emotion[/quote']

Lets split hairs...

Sonata, fugue etc came to be during the Baroque era. :p

I only know this because I looked up my music history book. :dunce:

you still wanting to jam that murder rosa/circle takes idea??

im still interested

Totally man.

I need to sort out a few bits and bobs, but i'll get back to you real quick. One of my good friends is a pretty kick ass bassist/guitarist, and he'll be in Aberdeen from this year ~ so i could see if he's interested.