aberdeen-music

arctic monkies win Mercury!

lepeep

I too liked the Isobel Campbell LP, the Lou Rhodes lp is dull...I hope she goes back to working "with" Lamb...

the arctic monkies do have some great songs, and some brilliant lyrics, but I fear they are going to be "poo pooed", as they are popular, and as we all know, liking something that's popular, is uncoooooool maaaaaan....(some people need to get off their high horses, and LISTEN and not be so glib! you might just miss out on some good music!).

Saying that, I can only take a few of the AM tunes in one go, not a whole LP.

I do like the MMA, it always gets a good debate about music going, and that's got to be a good thing. (even if bands who "should" be on it, are not, at least the fans talk about it, and spread the word!)...

the list would be never ending, if EVERYONE had their fave band on it!

I don't think the artic monkeys album is that good. It last a couple of weeks in my cd player and hasn't really been touched since. The album has also been booted off my MP3 player now.

Exactly the same with me, couldn't really get into it although I saw them at Reading (albeit the TV) and thought they were extremely rocking.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the specifications to be included in the Mercury Prize? Is it just any album released in that particular year by anyone of any genre from anywhere?

M People won it at some point didn't they? I think that kind of pisses on the prestige a little bit......

Franz Ferdinand won it two years ago so it isn't unheard of for the favourites to win.

I wasn't too bothered that the Artic Monkeys won, I was just happy Hot Chip didn't win (most disapppointing album of the year)

It would have been cool if Thom Yorke had won but, seeing as radiohead failed to win with Ok computer or any other of their nominated albums, it was hardly suprising he didn't.

So' date=' is this where the backlash begins, or is it the start of the backlash against the backlash?

It was a pretty poor list this year, to be honest. Isobel Campbell and Scritti Pollitti were just about of the required calibre, but...The Guillemots? Thom bleedin' Yorke? Who is going to look back in ten years time and say that they were the musical highpoints of our era (apart from diehard Radiohead fans that is)?[/quote']

To be fair not that many people are gonna look back and even remember the Isobel Campbell or Scritti Pollitti albums either.

Franz Ferdinand won it two years ago so it isn't unheard of for the favourites to win.

Franz Ferdinand were very popular at the time obviously' date=' but weren't Coldplay also nominated and therefore the bookie's favourite? I am fairly sure the Arctic Monkeys are the first favourites to win it.

M People won it at some point didn't they? I think that kind of pisses on the prestige a little bit......

Didn't M People win it over Different Class by Pulp?