aberdeen-music

Seagull Attack!

Guest DustyDeviada
As all of us who attended University are well aware' date=' the pass mark is umm 40%, maybe 50% at a push? These days do they even bother with exams, or is it just *DUN DUN DUN* continuous assesment?

[/quote']

Yup, and don't get me started on RGU either.

Now that universities are businesses there is huge pressure on lecturers to pass students to make sure that the uni gets the cash the next year.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Common sense is an excuse for ignorance" - Isaac Newton.

Dear boy. I'm not about to get in a pissing contest with you regarding qualifications. You are just one of a very large number of students that graduate every single year' date=' an insigificant statistic. What do you want a fucking medal?

As all of us who attended University are well aware, the pass mark is umm 40%, maybe 50% at a push? These days do they even bother with exams, or is it just *DUN DUN DUN* continuous assesment?

My course also covered a broad spectrum of subjects, but I would not be so delusional as pretend to be an expert on any of them.

As for Charles Darwin - you are not even fit to lace his boots.

If you want to call someone names, then try growing a spine and doing it to their face, that way it comes across as much more credible. It's not like we are geographically separated by several thousand miles.

PS - this washed up old drunk features in this months issue of Neurology magazine :) Funny old world...[/quote']

:laughing:

keep going

I don't claim to be an expert though' date=' check through my posts and find a reference to me claiming to be an expert.... All i said was that i am a qualified biochemist, which gives me some knowledge of what i'm talking about, not that i'm the leading authority on the subject. What qualifies you to be more suitable than me on taking my propositions to task.[/quote']

OK, so to summarise:

You are NOT an expert. AGREED.

You have done some biology and perhaps a genetics module at University. ACCEPTED.

You have made a big assumption regarding other peoples qualifications. DOH.

A proposition is not a fact.

It is not necessary to have higher qualifications than someone else in order to challenge their theory. If that was normal scientific protocol then Einstein's paper on Special Relativity would have gone straight into the waste basket. So yes I am perfectly entitled to argue with you, whatever my qualifications may (or may not) be.

And i'd be more than happy to call you anything to your face' date=' someone like you doesn't scare me at all. Its more fun this way though because you can't do anything about it, and haven't done any of the times i've been in the moorings. Nothing against you like, i just hate your pretentious 'holier than thou' attitude: 'Oh i'm in my late 30's/ early 40's, i know better than ANYONE else.'[/quote']

OK so spot the big contradiction here. I don't scare you at all... but it's more fun this way because I can't do anything about it??? WTF??? IMO it's much more fun arguing here in front of dozens of other people, and with the benefit of a full transcript.

Firstly - I only discovered what you looked like when you collected your Fudge award. Although with hindsight I vaguely recall someone matching your description staring at me, one Friday evening, like I was some sort of serial killer. Do not recall seeing you since.

Secondly - Sticks and stones and all that... I don't mind you calling me names. It's amusing to see someone of your age resorting to that.

Thirdly - so speaking out against the killing and torturing of a small defenseless animal makes me "pretentious" and imbues me with a "holier than thou attitude". Gee that's a first for me! And this... coming... from... you.

I don't purport to know everything' date=' as i don't. I present an opinion on things which i have established from the things i do know, its my perogative as to whether i have an opinion on things or not. Whether my opinion is 'sound' or not doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.[/quote']

Is it just me or was that last paragraph totally incoherent, yet somehow still pretentious as fuck? But anyway, errr, yes.

As for the 'survival of the fittest' debate. Yes i have seen studies that relate to what you were saying but i've never seen any concrete or well presented evidence to suggest whether they have any true scientific basis or not. Whereas the other side of the arguement does. I'm quite happy to be proved wrong when such evidence does actually mount up to something feasible though.

OK I shall refrain from using Google, so you have a huge advantage to make up for your lack of qualifications.

'Survival of the Fittest' originated as popular (non-scientific) theory. It was misconceived (poorly) from Darwinism. There was no scientific basis to it. Later on some scientists formalised the theory, and produced some evidence to support it. This was then presented as gospel. Just like the one about eggs being bad for you.

So we have:

Exhibit A) The species based misconception, which is that the strongest, fastest, smartest species survive better. This is plainly nonsense since comparing species is like playing scissors-paper-stone. And it doesn't explain the sea slug, or the koala bear LMAO! Why have they never produce a species based Top Tumps for all the anal fuckwits?

Exhibit B) The fitness based misconception, which is that a healthier specimen will live longer. This might be true if two specimens were isolated in a box and fed through a tube, but in the real world all sorts of randomness interferes with this. Hence JFK Jnr is dead yet Robbie Coltraine still walks the earth.

Exhibit C) The scientific theory, which is that nature favours the 'better' genes. That somehow the healthier, stronger, faster, smarter, traits are more likely to be passed on that those which would be a disadvantage. For a long time this theory persisted like 'the emperors new clothes', nobody dared stand up and say "What about genetically inheritable diseases"? or "why is each generation not demonstrably stronger/faster/healtheir" than their ancestors?" And to top it all we have natural disasters. Clearly tens of millions of years of evolution did not provide the dinosaurs with whatever was necessary to survival.

It appears that genetic mutations are caused by some random environmental factor, UV light being a favourite candidate.

It is demonstrably true that mutations are passed on, probably regardless of whether they offer any advantage. See Huntingdons disease for example. In fact certain disadvantageous mutations me be more LIKELY to be passed on, such as the breast cancer gene. And plenty of these mutations appear well after reproduction.

It is also demonstrably true that certain mutations may offer a temporary advantage than enables a particular strain of the species to flourish... however this is usually eliminated over time, and we get back to scissors paper stone. Meanwhile other strains which did not evolve as much continue to exist. Back to the sea slug. In fact I'd hazard a guess that sea slugs will be around for longer than certain other *COUGH* fitter species.

LOL pensioner 'killed' by a seagull. A seagull may appear ferocious, but they have very little strength in their beak. It's not really designed as a weapon. Gulls also weigh much less than you'd expect. I know, because i recently picked one up. The lightweight thing is true for all birds. The worst a seagull can do is dive bomb you and shit on you. The chances are that one dive bombed some poor old codger and they collapsed with a stroke. How man old people are killed by neds every year? Seagulls hardly constitute a threat.

But back on topic. It is WRONG to torture, inflict suffering, or needlessly kill other creatures. No excuses. Fuck all to do with survival of the fittest. End of story.

LOL pensioner 'killed' by a seagull. A seagull may appear ferocious' date=' [b']but they have very little strength in their beak. It's not really designed as a weapon. Gulls also weigh much less than you'd expect. I know, because i recently picked one up. The lightweight thing is true for all birds. The worst a seagull can do is dive bomb you and shit on you. The chances are that one dive bombed some poor old codger and they collapsed with a stroke. How man old people are killed by neds every year? Seagulls hardly constitute a threat.

now id argue this.

a) the beak IS sharp (speaking from experience) i mean its designed to tear through fish and that? you see the damage they can do to your rubbish. picture that being your flesh. it would pierce no probs.

b) they may not physically weigh much, but when the dive bomb and hit you they hurt like fuck. id have thought you'd have known more than anymore that in days gone, out at sea seaguls would be used as torture. tie a fish to the victims head and watch the blood fly . . . or at least the skulls.

now id argue this.

a) the beak IS sharp (speaking from experience) i mean its designed to tear through fish and that? you see the damage they can do to your rubbish. picture that being your flesh. it would pierce no probs.

What experience are you speaking from? This is a gull not a fucking Osprey. A seagulls beak is rounded like a ducks bill only more slender. Try googling for a picture. I had my fingers on a seagulls beak a couple of days ago and it's certainly not sharp. Seagulls like most birds tend to gulp their food down in small pieces. Sand eels' date=' fish guts etc are soft, as are chips, rowies, donner kebabs, and Big Macs. You don't exactly need a stanley knife to burst a rubbish bag you can do it with your pinky. The seagulls beak is not able to deliver much of a bite. A duck would give you a much worse nip. And a Macaw parrot can bite through a nail... now that's powerfull!

b) they may not physically weigh much, but when the dive bomb and hit you they hurt like fuck. id have thought you'd have known more than anymore that in days gone, out at sea seaguls would be used as torture. tie a fish to the victims head and watch the blood fly . . . or at least the skulls.

Actually no. In my experience the birds almost never hits you. At worst you get a blast of air, or a little slap from it's wings. It certainly does not hurt like fuck or the 1Kg of bird would kill itself in the process. If I, a 90Kg human, punched you then yes that might hurt like fuck. If someone fired a seagull at you out of a large catapult then it might be unpleasant but it certainly would not hurt like fuck. There is only so much evergy a little bird can impart. If something made of hollow bones and feathers weighing 1Kg is capable of dive bombing you so that it hurts like fuck either you went to a really soft school or you are in urgent need of medical attention. Get some sense of perspective...

Next you'll be telling us that the acid in their shit can burn through flesh.

I recently paced for about 25 metres walkign behind a baby seagull (it was grey and still very fluffy round the neck' date=' hence me knowing it was young).

Not a single solitary shit on me or squawking dive-bomb from the mother.[/quote']

Try Baker Street off Rosemount at about 9 - 10am, some crazy gulls there! o_O

I hate seagulls as much as the next person, and certainly consider them a pest.

However, when I was getting a lift home from work the other night, the driver of the car swerved across the road to hit a seagull. Hearing the noise it made and looking out the back window and seeing it lying on the road with it's neck totally snapped was the most disgusting and disturbing thing I've seen in a long time.

It's easy for people to talk about wanting to kill them, but when you actually witness it, it IS fucking cruel and I'm still disturbed thinking about it now.

I hate seagulls as much as the next person' date=' and certainly consider them a pest.

However, when I was getting a lift home from work the other night, the driver of the car swerved across the road to hit a seagull. Hearing the noise it made and looking out the back window and seeing it lying on the road with it's neck totally snapped was the most disgusting and disturbing thing I've seen in a long time.

It's easy for people to talk about wanting to kill them, but when you actually witness it, it IS fucking cruel and I'm still disturbed thinking about it now.[/quote']

that is horrible. seriously. i hate them but wouldnt kill them like that. much more humane ways would be better (probs the eggs thing)

and flash. . yeah i have been hit by one, full blown on the back of the head. and yeah it did need medical attention. It hit so hard that the doc thought id been hit with a golf club full force. i was told i was lucky the bird didnt knock me out, instead just left me really dazed.

i love flash's rants...but in this casse i agree with them all, nd i find it shocking the amount of ppl on here who are laughing about it!!!

p.s. if it matters, i've been dive bombed more than a few times, i find just giving it a wee slap gets rid of them :D

p.p.s. incase it matters, yes, i am a vegetarian :up:

I hate seagulls as much as the next person' date=' and certainly consider them a pest.

It's easy for people to talk about wanting to kill them, but when you actually witness it, it IS fucking cruel and I'm still disturbed thinking about it now.[/quote']

Shit fae them tbh.

I hope it didn't suffer much!

Is this thread STILL going?!?!?!

Have you not all got your seagull fetishes out in the open yet?

Or will Flash and Alkaline be having a full on boxing match soon?

Screw Boxing, i want a Cage match :p

But seriously, i think it was resurrected.

I'm not fussed with Flash, i don't mind argueing with him as he actually brings up interesting points (i've read that info against the 'survival of the fittest' theory and its interesting, not that i agree with it though). Contrary to the occasional 'name-calling' which is purely for comedic value rather than at a personal level, i don't know the guy so i can't judge him really, i don't have a problem with him :) And i actually agree with the last part of his last post.

:up:

MKII - No I am not a vegetarian, but I am careful about the source of the meat that I buy. That's a whole other debate though. For instance I love the taste of rabbit, and could with a clear concience go out and shoot a rabbit with an air rifle, then eat it. What I could NOT do is go out and shoot a rabbit then NOT eat it. By the same token, if I got eaten by a shark then it would be a case of "tough shit" LOL.

Alkaline - yup it can impossible to get the correct feel for someone relying soley on their writting. Over the course of the past 2 years I've had the pleasure of meeting and talking with half a dozen people that I've had *COUGH* misunderstandings with on this forum. In every case, going back and re-reading those flames afterwards has been a revelation, and a learning experience :)

So if I see you in the bar again then I'll come over and say hello to you. Word of warning though, i am shit at faces, so there is an equal danger than I will ignore you and accost some random a week later. If anyone sees me staring at them for several minutes, then that's just me trying to figure out whether or not you are Alkaline. And if it looks like an evil stare then that's cos I'm shortsighted and have to screw up my eyes rather than wear glasses.

Woody - that doctor tale is pathertic. You sure it wasn't an albatros weilding a golf club? Try having a friend throw a teddy bear at you as hard as he/she can, and see if it is possible to replicate this injury. The last time I experienced something like that was when a passing bus hit me with it's wing mirror. The bus weighted about 10 tonnes and was travelling at 5mph. The wing mirror was solid. Momentum = mass x velocity. To inflict similar damage a seagull would have to be travelling at Mach 35. Go figure.

Woody - that doctor tale is pathertic. You sure it wasn't an albatros weilding a golf club? Try having a friend throw a teddy bear at you as hard as he/she can' date=' and see if it is possible to replicate this injury. The last time I experienced something like that was when a passing bus hit me with it's wing mirror. The bus weighted about 10 tonnes and was travelling at 5mph. The wing mirror was solid. Momentum = mass x velocity. To inflict similar damage a seagull would have to be travelling at Mach 35. Go figure.

[/quote']

yeah doctors and hospitals. . what do they know huh? o_O