aberdeen-music

Greatest albums since December 1993

kirkt

Next months Mojo magazine will publish the 100 greatest albums made since the magazine began in December 1993. What would your top 5 be?

Mine would be:

1.Fig 4.0: Action Image Exchange (even though i know it'll never make any top 100 lists)

2.At the Drive In: Relationship of Command

3. Smashing Pumpkins: Machina

4. Mansun: Six

5. Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie

Guest bluesxman

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

The Strokes - Is This It

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

If I thought about it too much I'd never pick any so on first thought that's it. Difficult to choose only 5....

Both Kings Of Leon albums

Good call. I always take ages to think of these kind of lists then have to edit them about 10 times, but straight off the bat I'd say.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

Kings of Leon - A-ha Shake Heartbreak

Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous/The Execution of all things (I'm split between those two)

Sounds cliche'd but Green Day - Dookie pretty much changed my life forever so that would be #1 It is an amazing album tho

Was listening to The Bends by radiohead quite a lot recently, forgot how good that was...I'd say thats there strongest album, I like OKComp and KidA too (the others were wallpaper for me) but The Bends pretty much defined that whole sound which bands like Muse and Rival Schools went on to rip off...

The Shape of punk to come by Refused is one of the most amazing records I've ever heard...totally gutted I never knew of this band when they were around cos I could have seen them had any of us knew who they were...Its scary how accurate that title was..every band rips off elements of that album (even the last Blink album!)

As much as half of it sounds like an American "The Bends" in hindsight, Rival School's united by fate is just one of those amazing albums start to finish, which along with the refused album totally changed my attitude towards music for the better, I was getting too much into music being some sort of fucked up anger release until these bands proved you could do that, but still make it melodic and tuneful and with a good groove at the same time, as well as being highly experimental in regions punk has never gone.

Theres loads more great albums but I'm struggling to think of any that really mean anything other than just sounding nice....music is more to me than that. Last year I'd have probably said American Idiot but media hype has killed that album for me, it hasn't stuck with me for a year, let alone over 10 like Dookie. Fifth one will probably have to be Face To Face - Ignorance is bliss for pretty much the same reasons as Refused and Rival Schools, its nowhere near on par with those albums.....but comes damn close.

1. Marillion - Brave

2. David Devant and his Spirit Wife - Work, Lovelife, Miscellaneous

3. Transatlantic -SMPTe

4. Barenaked Ladies - Maroon

5. The Wishing Tree - Carnival of Souls

These would probably be the albums I've listened to the most that came since 1993, probably not the greatest by any stretch but have meant something to me :)

Cheers

Stuart

The Soft Bulletin-Flaming Lips

Deserters Songs-Mercury Rev

Being There-Wilco

Electro Shock Blues-Eels

The Smell Of Our Own-Hidden Cameras

I've been listening to those top two recently and can't help but think they are both overrated and both bands' following albums were better. Anyway:

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

Adore - Smashing Pumpkins

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins

Monday At the Hug and Pint - Arab Strap

De-loused In the Comatorium - The Mars Volta