aberdeen-music

The Aberdeen audiences

black_matter

Actually I was saying that it does happen that people can get into small gigs from big ones because it happened to me' date=' and you were saying it didnt happen. You cant pigeon hole every person that goes the AECC all 8,000 arent the same,some will be interested in the gigs, most wont, but even if 0.5% of the people who go might be interested then thats 40 people who might give it a chance, and that's no bad thing.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

go back and read the initial post again. top line

have a nice day

go back and read the initial post again. top line

have a nice day

You said you didnt want my life story, then you said it was a generalisation, but thats the point surely if it can happen, even to a small number of people it's a good thing to keep an influx of people into the Aberdeen gigging scene - I was never suggesting for a second that a large number of people go to see smaller bands after getting the bug from bigger bands - otherwise everyy band would be playing the AECC - but there are people who realise they enjoy going to see live music from going to bigger gigs which you seem willing to admit to, so why try and start some kind of slagging match anyway ? Do you just feel the need to have ago for the fun of it ?

Cheers

Stuart

I agree with Maxi' date=' most of the people that go to these gigs are inconsiderate idiots.[/quote']

Of course they are, no-one's disputing that.

But it's equally moronic to dismiss advertising to them on the grounds that most of them are idiots - after all, what about the minority of non idiots? Plenty of people here went to the Franz gig - so who's to say there isn't a sizable minority of people worth advertising to?

To be honest, if someone went up to the AECC with a team of people to flyer and handed out 10,000 professional quality flyers for a show, they'd probably get quite a shock. 200 might be a lot of money, but I dare say you'd get at least 100 in door money back from doing it. Say 3 door, that's still 34 people that you've got through the door. And if your offering doesn't attract 34 people from 8000, then surely there's something very, very wrong.

I agree with Maxi' date=' most of the people that go to these gigs are inconsiderate idiots.[/quote']

The crowd and the venue are absolute fucking shite. I went to the Ian Brown and Oasis gigs recently and there was the highest concentration of neds I'd seen in my life. It pisses you off and spoils the bands.

I've no problem with the AECC getting bands - whether it's Radiohead, Oasis, Franz, Westlife, James Blunt or whoever the fuck - I just won't be there in most cases.

Guest bluesxman
To be fair the last "mainstream" gig I went to was at the AECC and I can confidently say that flyering a small gig to that crowd would have been a waste of time (ignoring the audience members that already go to small gigs)... for the record it was Franz Ferdinand and most of the audience members behaved like morons' date=' shoving each other around like they were in a fucking prison riot and spilling 3 pints over each other.

They played some decent music between the bands - mostly stuff i'd personally never heard before - and the reaction was "fits this? I've never heard this before... fucking shite".

I agree with Maxi, most of the people that go to these gigs are inconsiderate idiots.[/quote']

I concur. The Ian Brown gig was even worse, witnessed a full on fist fight in front of one of the bars, every second person looked like they had spent the last 2 weeks ingesting every substance known to man that may cause some kind of high. Plus probably a few they just took a chance on working. The attendance of an audience largely consisting of the worst kind of bottom feeding pondlife plus the shit sound means that it will now take something very special to tempt me back there for a gig.

I really cannot see that kind of audience being attracted to an Arkade Projects gig where firstly, they have never heard of the band, and secondly, probably never heard of the bands used to describe that bands sound as being akin to. I like to think I've got reasonable musical knowledge and I haven't heard of many of the references...that's not to say of course that some AECC gig attendees would not try out something they received on a flyer, but as a general rule I would see it as a waste of time and money.

Guest bluesxman
To be honest' date=' if someone went up to the AECC with a team of people to flyer and handed out 10,000 professional quality flyers for a show, they'd probably get quite a shock. 200 might be a lot of money, but I dare say you'd get at least 100 in door money back from doing it. Say 3 door, that's still 34 people that you've got through the door. And if your offering doesn't attract 34 people from 8000, then surely there's something very, very wrong.[/quote']

Acute business logic there....what a load of drivel, based on presumption and self-opinion rather than any factual basis.

Acute business logic there....what a load of drivel' date=' based on presumption and self-opinion rather than any factual basis.[/quote']

What's there to presume?

There's enough empircal evidence in Aberdeen to show that spending money on promotion will pay off - but hey, if you don't believe me, why not call up Liquid or the Triptych organisers and ask them if spending heavily on advertising has helped them. Neither of them seem to do too badly, after all...

Denouncing 8000 live music goers as not being worth the effort is pretty amusing actually :)

What's there to presume?

There's enough empircal evidence in Aberdeen to show that spending money on promotion will pay off - but hey' date=' if you don't believe me, why not call up Liquid or the Triptych organisers and ask them if spending heavily on advertising has helped them. Neither of them seem to do too badly, after all...

Denouncing 8000 live music goers as not being worth the effort is pretty amusing actually :)[/quote']

Wheeeeesht!

I walked pst the entrance to the Glasgow ABC last week and near fell over at the amount of up and coming gigs, in that one venue, I wanted to go to over the next few months. I didn't then fall out with Aberdeen though as it this has always been and will always be the case, a geographical fact. Its nice to get out of town as well and by this I don't mean going to the AECC...

The attendance of an audience largely consisting of the worst kind of bottom feeding pondlife plus the shit sound means that it will now take something very special to tempt me back there for a gig.

The sound systems used at gigs in the AECC are always touring systems brought in and staffed by the bands personnel, so don't judge the AECC on something they have no control over and which changes for every gig.

What's there to presume?

There's enough empircal evidence in Aberdeen to show that spending money on promotion will pay off - but hey' date=' if you don't believe me, why not call up Liquid or the Triptych organisers and ask them if spending heavily on advertising has helped them. Neither of them seem to do too badly, after all...

Denouncing 8000 live music goers as not being worth the effort is pretty amusing actually :)[/quote']Cloud, fuck off unitl you've actually done something.

AECC is miles out of town. go there with 8,000 flyers, even cheap quality ones, will cost you around 20. As well as it being at night, a bunch of neds and generally not very fucking fun.

Say on the off chance like jester says, you get 40 people(which I think is doubtful in any case, cos as the genral consensus is, people that go to the AECC are in the group "ive not heard of this....obviously shite"). Woopty ping, you could have saved the money and got more people from flyering in town to people that would actually want to go to a gig like that and will attend future ones. And with the money you save, put it towards making the show even better oir towards the next show.

handed out 10' date='000 professional quality flyers for a show, they'd probably get quite a shock. £200 might be a lot of money, but I dare say you'd get at least £100 in door money back from doing it.[/quote']

Unless you get in excess of £200 more or the door then you have lost money and the exercise has been pointless... unless of course you plan on registering as a charity setup to get more punters through doors. Plus whoever devotes their time to handing out 10,000 flyers probably deserves to get paid...

Based on your £3 door charge and 34 people example, you'd be as well flagging down 34 street bums and crack whores, and offering to pay them £1 each to attend your gig. This nonsense would achieve the same result as your 10,000 flyers with a net saving of £66!!! Furthermore it would bring in a not dissimilar class of audience, and you wouldn't need a team of unpaid martyrs going out and accosting 10,000 people ROFLMMFAO!

Alternatively you could take your £100 down to a few wino shelters, and bring back a hundred willing punters!!! Plus a few hangers on!

then surely there's something very' date=' very wrong.[/quote']

Indeed.

2001-9284.jpg

Guest bluesxman
What's there to presume?

Denouncing 8000 live music goers as not being worth the effort is pretty amusing actually :)[/quote']

In your original case you assume that a certain number of people are going to be at the AECC who use this forum. You then assume that just because they use this forum they are automatically going to be interested in the gig being flyered. They may well be, but they may well have other things on to prevent them attending. Or maybe they have other gigs to attend that takes precedence over the gig being flyered as far as cash flow goes.

Basically all you will guarantee from your strategy is that a very large proportion of your 10,000 flyers will be carpeting the AECC floor and surrounding area. Whereas when attending gigs at The Tunnels, for example, and there are flyers on the tables to read between bands, you are likely to be there because you have a leaning towards less than mainstream music and so are more likely to test the water with unfamiliar acts as displayed on the flyers.

Guest bluesxman
The sound systems used at gigs in the AECC are always touring systems brought in and staffed by the bands personnel' date=' so don't judge the AECC on something they have no control over and which changes for every gig.[/quote']

I'm not judging the AECC itself for anything, the last two gigs I've been to there cost me over 20 quid a ticket and the sound was crap, I'm not feeling inclined to spend the money and take my chances on getting a decent sound anymore. Add in the assortment of lowlifes who populate the bigger gigs and it makes for a much less enjoyable evening than spending the equivalent money on my next 4/5 visits to The Tunnels.

book?

Your book will be a pale and insignificant version of mine' date=' soon to be finished in hardback and on the shelves in July.

Jim[/quote']

So you are writing a book?

Neither am I .

Seriously though I am doing 2,one is fiction the other is about 30 years of punk rock,what's yours about?.

None of this is my point though, my point is that it sometimes takes a big band to come here to get people to get out to a gig, and sometimes if thats their first gig they realise they love the live music vibe etc and then will possibly look at going to more local smaller gigs, and so things like the AECC hosting gigs is good for the local scene, it's not about flyering them etc, it's about the buzz that can only come from live music infecting people and getting them to go and see more, I would imagine a large amount of people here's first gig wasnt a small local one but a bigger act, and now they do go see smaller ones because they love live music.

Cheers

Stuart

Crowds in Aberdeen will always vary from night to night. I personally won't spend £20 to go see a band (with a very few exceptions), but I think the whole idea of this site is to promote locally produced talent and to encourage it. Also to support smaller bands that make the trek up here. We are all guilty of just sitting back, or standing at the bar to watch bands when we could go down the front and show some support ( like maxi's dancing at take a worm for a walk week which was brilliant (the band not the dancing :p)) but regardless it pumps bands up when they can see people enjoying themselves.

So lets get up off our seats and show these bands that we care about live music. And not lose our local scene to apathy.

for what it's worth.

Dave who is Jamie

None of this is my point though' date=' my point is that it sometimes takes a big band to come here to get people to get out to a gig, and sometimes if thats their first gig they realise they love the live music vibe etc and then will possibly look at going to more local smaller gigs, and so things like the AECC hosting gigs is good for the local scene, it's not about flyering them etc, it's about the buzz that can only come from live music infecting people and getting them to go and see more, I would imagine a large amount of people here's first gig wasnt a small local one but a bigger act, and now they do go see smaller ones because they love live music.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Mmm, makes sense, thinking back to my first few gigs. I'm pretty sure I wasn't even aware of smaller gigs until I was in a band myself.

Which is one of the reasons for the Granite City Guide's existence.

Couldn't resist the plug.

I would imagine a large amount of people here's first gig wasnt a small local one but a bigger act' date=' and now they do go see smaller ones because they love live music.[/quote']first gig I ever attended in Aberdeen was a local line-up in kef (then Lava). Im still to see a "big" band in Aberdeen other than Turbonegro and The Misfits.

The first gig I ever went to was an all local line-up in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Correct

I have to say that in general, atmosphere at Aberdeen gigs is the worst of any place I've seen gigs across the UK. That's not a rule, but I have to say that it is usually true. I imagine that everyone on here's been to loads of gigs in other Scottish cities and found the crowd much more eager and receptive. I live near Aberdeen but choose to see gigs elsewhere for this reason. I'm afraid this is a bit of a relection of the general mood of the population here.

Oh, and the comments about the punters at that Iam Brown gig were dead-on. I have never seen such a collection of rough-arsed tinks, neds, chavs, thieves and junkies.

if aberdeen got a venue like the carling academy then alot more bands would come, one of the main problems is not the crowd but the size gap between the music hall or the beach ballroom and the aecc. Even something the size of the abc or the barrowlands would be great

if aberdeen got a venue like the carling academy then alot more bands would come' date=' one of the main problems is not the crowd but the size gap between the music hall or the beach ballroom and the aecc. Even something the size of the abc or the barrowlands would be great[/quote']

Don't think so, the two biggest factors for Aberdeen not getting bigger gigs are

1) Catchment area, there's just not enought people live close by, maybe 1/2 million, compared to about 4 million near Glasgow.

2) Geography. We're a long way from anywhere else.

If we did have a decent medium size venue (say approx 1000 capacity) it would be underused, unless it could be reconfigured for smaller crowds.