aberdeen-music

am i allowed to be thrown out of a bar in the middle of the day

Guest Tam o' Shantie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got id'd buying a four pack of red bull.. then when i proved that i am 16 got told that i had to be 18 to buy redbull as it was alcoholic! i demanded to speak to the manager, but i didnt get no discount *cries*

I think most places accept the Uni ids? College are the one's with the problem. Aberdeen College should really improve the quality of their ids and ensure that they can't be faked so easily. Because unless you drive' date=' or have a provisional (which you have to pay for), student ids are really the only other form of id I can think of? Except for that 'citizen card' thing they always have leaflets for in off-licences, but I've never known anyone with one of them so I?m not even sure how widely they're accepted. And carrying your passport around town when you're drunk isn't really the best plan..[/quote']

I am led to believe that a few years back Aberdeen College I.D's were faked and bars stopped accepting them.

This year, I went to Aberdeen College and found the burden of proof needed was completley over the top. Particularly for someone who is not studying at the main gallowgate site.

What was required is a current passport or driving licence and a bursary form. (One of the people in my course has never been abroad, so dosen't have a passport and hasn't got a driving licence either).

At my first attempt in trying to get a student I.D. I was refused becuase I didn't have a bursary form (mine had been sent away to the college and I still haven't got it back). Note that I also had a guitar with me plus all my college course materials i.e many booklets with 'Aberdeen College' written on them.

The lady was fairly nasty about it and dismissed what i said with the information that she would be at the Bridge of Don Gordon Centre next thursday. While I was there, I had overheard her give an excuse to another student about not making it to the Altens Centre (on her scheduled visit) earlier that week. With little suprise, she didn't turn up at the Bridge of Don on the day she said she would (something about a computer problem). I also had no classes on the day she said she would be there, so it really would have been of little benefit to me.

I ended up being refused while trying to get an I.D about 3 times (once after I managed to misplace my driving licence in this carry on). After Anne Graham (elected student president and dispenser of Student I.D's) realised that a lot of people were unable to provide her with bursary forms she started accepting letters from college tutors on headed paper in addition to a driving licence or passport.

I finally got a student I.D but it was a huge bother. Aberdeen College certainly do not need to be any more strict about who they give an I.D to.

I also found it rather rather hypocritical that she was willing to give out an I.D without seeing a passport of driving licence if the student had a tutor present, in her office. She obviously didn't want to argue with another member of staff but was willing to be a complete and utter biatch to students. Please do not vote for her, she is elected and obviously dosen't do her job properly. Voting has probably passed and she maybe got overthrown but I don't know. Depends how many people at college have shares in durex (read below).

In one of my failed attempts to get a student I.D. I had to wait benind a couple who can't have been older than 15, who were getting free condoms. I really question if it should be the purpose of the Student President to hand out student I.D's to the entire college and condoms to 15 year olds. I also had to wait for a reasonable amount of time while she was on the phone concerning what appeared to be part of her social life.

Anyway, Aberdeen College has a completely ridiculous policy about giving out student I.D's at the moment. Maybe some people got given them too easily but I am not one of them.

I am not usually the complaining type.

I don't understand why people don't carry ID with them. Even if someone is not a student and doesn't drive or have a passport, it is not difficult to apply for a Citizen ID card.

I tend to ID a high proportion of customers who come to the bar in my pub. In fact, sometimes I even go for a wander round the pub and ID random customers sitting at tables.

Serving someone who later transpires to be under 18 is not worth an £80 fine, losing my job and the possibility of a criminal record.

If you're over 18, carry ID with you. If you're under 18, don't be offended and don't moan that the world is against you when you don't get served.

However, the under 21 policy seems odd. I use it to ID anyone who looks under 21 but will serve them if they're over 18. I didn't know some places won't even serve people who are under 21 (except some pubs on designated over 21's nights). That's pretty odd in supermarkets...Not that it affects me anymore though :D

IT IS ILLEGAL for Asda or anyone else to not serve someone under the age of 21.If they ask for ID and you can prove that you are over 18 they are legally obliged to serve you.If not, you can have them done for breaking the law.

On the other topic.I usually carry my passport if I'm out for the night and actually like it when someone IDs me as they usually get embarressed when they realise how old you are and not just trying to hood-wink your way into the pub.

The bar I work in allows over 16s in at anytime, the problem we usually have is that when a group of youngsters come in, the under 18s instantly dart upstairs where we can't see them, and those over 18 come to the bar and buy drinks for everybody, that's a cuntish situation because it means we have to go upstairs and ID them all at their table and take their drinks off them and chuck them out.

I am led to believe that a few years back Aberdeen College I.D's were faked and bars stopped accepting them.

This year' date=' I went to Aberdeen College and found the burden of proof needed was completley over the top. Particularly for someone who is not studying at the main gallowgate site.

What was required is a current passport or driving licence and a bursary form. (One of the people in my course has never been abroad, so dosen't have a passport and hasn't got a driving licence either).

At my first attempt in trying to get a student I.D. I was refused becuase I didn't have a bursary form (mine had been sent away to the college and I still haven't got it back). Note that I also had a guitar with me plus all my college course materials i.e many booklets with 'Aberdeen College' written on them.

The lady was fairly nasty about it and dismissed what i said with the information that she would be at the Bridge of Don Gordon Centre next thursday. While I was there, I had overheard her give an excuse to another student about not making it to the Altens Centre (on her scheduled visit) earlier that week. With little suprise, she didn't turn up at the Bridge of Don on the day she said she would (something about a computer problem). I also had no classes on the day she said she would be there, so it really would have been of little benefit to me.

I ended up being refused while trying to get an I.D about 3 times (once after I managed to misplace my driving licence in this carry on). After Anne Graham (elected student president and dispenser of Student I.D's) realised that a lot of people were unable to provide her with bursary forms she started accepting letters from college tutors on headed paper in addition to a driving licence or passport.

I finally got a student I.D but it was a huge bother. Aberdeen College certainly do not need to be any more strict about who they give an I.D to.

I also found it rather rather hypocritical that she was willing to give out an I.D without seeing a passport of driving licence if the student had a tutor present, in her office. She obviously didn't want to argue with another member of staff but was willing to be a complete and utter biatch to students. Please do not vote for her, she is elected and obviously dosen't do her job properly. Voting has probably passed and she maybe got overthrown but I don't know. Depends how many people at college have shares in durex (read below).

In one of my failed attempts to get a student I.D. I had to wait benind a couple who can't have been older than 15, who were getting free condoms. I really question if it should be the purpose of the Student President to hand out student I.D's to the entire college and condoms to 15 year olds. I also had to wait for a reasonable amount of time while she was on the phone concerning what appeared to be part of her social life.

Anyway, Aberdeen College has a completely ridiculous policy about giving out student I.D's at the moment. Maybe some people got given them too easily but I am not one of them.

I am not usually the complaining type.[/quote']

So basicaly you think she's wrong and shouldnt be in her position because she did her job right by not giving you an ID when you didnt supply the correct proof of age....oh and do you have a moral problem with 15yr olds having condoms?

G...

On the other topic.I usually carry my passport if I'm out for the night and actually like it when someone IDs me as they usually get embarressed when they realise how old you are and not just trying to hood-wink your way into the pub.

carrying about your passport while on the piss sounds a bit daft, don't get me wrong i can sympathise to some degree, but if your passport lands in the wrong hands it can be a real pain in the ass....not to mention id theft potential etc etc...

This year' date=' I went to Aberdeen College and found the burden of proof needed was completley over the top. Particularly for someone who is not studying at the main gallowgate site.

I am not usually the complaining type.[/quote']

I know exactly who you mean! she's a complete bitch and I actually had to complain about her after the way she spoke to me once and the way she spoke to all the other students..calling us stupid because we brought our birth certificates in *which is all we needed for last year* and the fact she called us stupid.. was not acceptible. They really need to change their attitudes there. It took me 3 attempts to finally get it.. the computer kept breaking apparently and the camera wasn't working or the office wasn't open when clearly the door was open and someone was getting their picture taken..sigh-o

So basicaly you think she's wrong and shouldnt be in her position because she did her job right by not giving you an ID when you didnt supply the correct proof of age....oh and do you have a moral problem with 15yr olds having condoms?

G...

She's VERY wrong.

It's the fact they're underage aswell and having an ID isn't bad.

She's an idiot, she's always on the phone, she really needs to be kicked out. She never does her job properly..and she's friggin disgusting.. gah.

Trust me, everyone I know whose seen her, has had a problem with her.. say she reminds me of people on here :) never happy with anythinggg

IT IS ILLEGAL for Asda or anyone else to not serve someone under the age of 21.If they ask for ID and you can prove that you are over 18 they are legally obliged to serve you.If not' date=' you can have them done for breaking the law.[/quote']

Not true in the slightest.

It's their choice whether they wish to serve you or not - if they decide that only pink people with purple spots are getting served booze, it's their choice. They haven't entered into a contract with you at that point in the purchase, therefore, they're completely within their rights to refuse service if they want.

If you ARE in a shop that refuses you for being under 21, the best bet is to escalate the complaint. A lot of the "under 21's must be ID'ed" policies are badly communicated, therefore, chances are that whoever's in charge will let it go to avoid a public scene that might put others off shopping there. Obviously that doesn't work if it's actually illegal for them to let it go, though.

G...

I don't believe she did her job correctly. I thought it was fair enough asking for a passport or driving licence but asking for a document which had been sent to the college, meaning I couldn't show it to her, is fundamentally flawed. I was mainly trying to dispell the myth that Aberdeen College give out I.Ds too easily.

As Ally said, most people who dealt with her found her to be very unhelpful and somtimes nasty. Whenever I (or other peopel) spoke to her in relation to student I.D's, she always seemed intent to get rid of me as soon as possible.

As for 15 year olds having condoms... I do not really view it as appropriate for an educational institution (Aberdeen College) to be handing out condoms and certainly not to people as young as 15. A Doctor or Pharmacist would have been more appropriate as they would have training and experience in speaking to people about these issues. The point I was trying to make was that the student president has a fairly bizarre range of duties. This is very off topic by now.

I don't believe she did her job correctly. I thought it was fair enough asking for a passport or driving licence but asking for a document which had been sent to the college' date=' meaning I couldn't show it to her, is fundamentally flawed. I was mainly trying to dispell the myth that Aberdeen College give out I.Ds too easily.

As Ally said, most people who dealt with her found her to be very unhelpful and somtimes nasty. Whenever I (or other peopel) spoke to her in relation to student I.D's, she always seemed intent to get rid of me as soon as possible.

As for 15 year olds having condoms... I do not really view it as appropriate for an educational institution (Aberdeen College) to be handing out condoms and certainly not to people as young as 15. A Doctor or Pharmacist would have been more appropriate as they would have training and experience in speaking to people about these issues. The point I was trying to make was that the student president has a fairly bizarre range of duties. This is very off topic by now.[/quote']

well said :up:

Asda ID'd me for buying St Anger by Metallica (Yes bad album) Im 29 now, so whenever it came out was when I bought it...like dunno, 27. The lady asked me for ID, I asked why, she said because it has swearing lol, I took my wolly hat off and showed her that Im old and bald, she was embarressed. Serious! She mistook me for someone who was under 16!!!!!

Ok, go for it will the insults hehe:up: