aberdeen-music

Bikini Attoll , Archie Bronson Outfit , Josh Pearson Play The Tunnels

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh' date=' I just recognise people who have worked in there over the years, i'm generally clueless as to who still does and doesn't...I suspect Ross who posts for Moshulu used to years ago???

Are you originally from Stonehaven? My girlfriend last night saw you come in and seemed to think you were of Farburn Drive origin? Which is where we stay....[/quote']

good spot, my folks still live there. pretty easy to work out which house to as my dad's a joiner and his name is in large letters on the side of his van. you lived there long?

yea ross worked there a few years ago as well. working in one up is a little like national service for indie music fans in aberdeen, you do your three years then move on to other things with a greater knowledge of obscure indie and tea making skills.

i spoke to bikini attoll, they drove all the way from london to edinbugh the night before to find their promotor hadn't let them know the edinburgh event was cancelled. they therfore were by their own admission feeling well flat performace & financially, before driving all the way back to London today.

As far as I am concerned & those that were near the music, still a great band

Guest bluesxman
good spot' date=' my folks still live there. pretty easy to work out which house to as my dad's a joiner and his name is in large letters on the side of his van. you lived there long?

yea ross worked there a few years ago as well. working in one up is a little like national service for indie music fans in aberdeen, you do your three years then move on to other things with a greater knowledge of obscure indie and tea making skills.[/quote']

Ah yes it's all falling into place now.....i've been there 5 years now. Was an Auld Toon boy born and bred before moving up town...One Up has never been the same since they moved into that shop - much more spacious but lost the effect of scavenging around the poky wee shop in Diamond Street and the two shops in George Street/Rosemount viaduct before that. Showing my age now....those 2 guys who work downstairs must have worked there for into decades by now!

Guest bluesxman
i spoke to bikini attoll' date=' they drove all the way from london to edinbugh the night before to find their promotor hadn't let them know the edinburgh event was cancelled. they therfore were by their own admission feeling well flat performace & financially, before driving all the way back to London today.

As far as I am concerned & those that were near the music, still a great band[/quote']

I'm really liking Liar's Exit and have ordered the first album, forget the name off hand. Thought they were great last night, didn't disappoint at all. Wish i'd discovered them for the previous gigs, ah well...

Ha ha' date=' nah I met you before that! :D And I met chilli as well! popTart never became familiar though :down:

daveofficer - are you one of the guys with dark hair and specs who look the same apart from one has floppier hair? Work in One Up? Lots of folk from One Up in there last night....[/quote']

I think i saw you. Brown leather jacket? Poptart and I were sitting at the table in front of the Officer bros. A tall bloke and a small bloke. We left before Archie Bronson Outfit to catch the bus. The first guy was pretty crap apart from one song, i fail to see how anybody apart from those who marvel at technical ability could have enjoyed his set. That Josh fella was much better, his music was more affecting, although he was rather a one trick pony. Bikini Atoll were okay, the best songs were the new ones they played especially Anything You Love That Much You Will See Again (that right?), but i wish i had seem them with a drummer because they don't have strong enough melodies to rely upon. It wasn't a bad evening but it was particularly great either. All in all I wish i had saved the ticket price and bus fare and not come out Atoll (pun nicked from Erikson).

I think i saw you. Brown leather jacket? Poptart and I were sitting at the table in front of the Officer bros. A tall bloke and a small bloke. We left before Archie Bronson Outfit to catch the bus. The first guy was pretty crap apart from one song' date=' i fail to see how anybody apart from those who marvel at technical ability could have enjoyed his set. That Josh fella was much better, his music was more affecting, although he was rather a one trick pony. Bikini Atoll were okay, the best songs were the new ones they played especially Anything You Love That Much You Will See Again (that right?), but i wish i had seem them with a drummer because they don't have strong enough melodies to rely upon. It wasn't a bad evening but it was particularly great either. All in all I wish i had saved the ticket price and bus fare and not come out Atoll (pun nicked from Erikson).[/quote']

I did wonder where/who PopTart was - I thought it was BluesxMan straight way though (brown leather jacket as you said) as per his description.

I apologise for shouting out the punchline to Josh's "What's the opposite of Christopher Reeve?" joke.

I whooped

New nothing about the Archie Bronson Outfit and was suitably blown away by them. Couldn't stop grinning as I haven't been out to many gigs lately, low profile, and got bowled over unexpectedly. Very unusual sound...

Just shows that you never know what you may be missing by staying in or sitting in a shite pub! ABO are now playing on loop at home. Dirtystinkyswampyrocknroll Just the way I likes it!!! Ta for a gid night Tunnels... :up: I would recommend that if there is a loud drunk lass standing at the bar obviously far too loud for quiet moments, that the staff or security politely ask her to shut up in future... Just a happy drunk lass but...

ace gig. Did anyone catch the tall girl at the bar who was wearing brown, she was so gorgeous...anyway aye first bloke wow, 2nd bloke i thought had a violin player hidin sumwhere but when i went for a better look realised he was playin all on his own...met him later on that night and he was ' tryin to pull chicks', without any luck but nice guy all the same. Bikini atoll ace, bronson, pretty decent but didnt really get into them that much.

nice one, cheers to mike and the crew, ollie out.

fucking ace gig. Did anyone catch the tall girl at the bar who was wearing brown' date=' she was so gorgeous...anyway aye first bloke wow, 2nd bloke i thought had a violin player hidin sumwhere but when i went for a better look realised he was playin all on his own...met him later on that night and he was ' tryin to pull chicks', without any luck but nice guy all the same. Bikini atoll ace, bronson, pretty decent but didnt really get into them that much.

nice one, cheers to mike and the crew, ollie out.[/quote']

what lovely imagery one can conjure up when presented with descriptions such as "wearing brown"

The first guy was pretty crap apart from one song' date=' i fail to see how anybody apart from those who marvel at technical ability could have enjoyed his set.[/quote']

it wasn't about technical ability (although he was an excellent guitarist), it was the feeling. the tone and soul he got out of that guitar was magnificent.

Pearson was ace as well. Took a song or two to get going and I agree he was a bit of a one trick pony (every song seemed to be about god battling satan or someone apologising to god), but it was brilliant, and he looked fantastic. Shit jokes though.

Bikini Atoll were nice.

Archie Bronson showed what BA were missing. Energy and passion. Great set, not my favourite act of the night but immensly enjoyable.

Did anyone catch the tall girl at the bar who was wearing brown' date=' she was so gorgeous...[/quote']

She was ok but went down in my estimation by being absolutely smashed, along with the bloke she was with, and the both of them careered round the stage area during the archie bronson set bumping into folk and generally being a pain.

There's a fatter' date=' older Chris Officer that works in a Vodafone shop round the corner from me here. You wouldn't believe how similar they are (apart from the differences I have pointed out)!

[/quote']

every time someone we know goes abroad they return with tales of people they spotted who look like us. maybe we were part of some international cloning conspiracy.

i have to say that anyone who opens a set with "hi im josh pearson, im from texas, and i didnt vote bush!" has to be good, i liked a few of his jokes: the jesus ones were terrible though!!!!

"what does a drummer use as contreception..............

his personality"< greatest joke ever!

i never met any forum goers, though it is obvious who i was. a bunch of folk from gordons told me to stop drinking, because i was obviousley drunk and very underage...HAHAHAHAHA, i was drinking red bull from cider glasses...2 fit perfectly into 1 glass, and aparantly look like cider, and aparantley i apear drunk..:s hehe, great night!

ross

i have to say that anyone who opens a set with "hi im josh pearson' date=' im from texas, and i didnt vote bush!" has to be good, i liked a few of his jokes: the jesus ones were terrible though!!!!

"what does a drummer use as contreception..............

his personality"< greatest joke ever!

i never met any forum goers, though it is obvious who i was. a bunch of folk from gordons told me to stop drinking, because i was obviousley drunk and very underage...HAHAHAHAHA, i was drinking red bull from cider glasses...2 fit perfectly into 1 glass, and aparantly look like cider, and aparantley i apear drunk..:s hehe, great night!

ross[/quote']

the opening quote was a cheap and easy one and the jokes were rubbish. luckily josh pearson's songs were ace and he came across as a nice guy so that was cool.

you weren't the kid that asked to buy him a drink then asked for his broken guitar string were you?

the opening quote was a cheap and easy one and the jokes were rubbish. luckily josh pearson's songs were ace and he came across as a nice guy so that was cool.

you weren't the kid that asked to buy him a drink then asked for his broken guitar string were you?

hahaha, the look on you face when that happened was amazing. Actually amazing. PS - I made you a "best of beat happening" cd.

Guest bluesxman
I would recommend that if there is a loud drunk lass standing at the bar obviously far too loud for quiet moments' date=' that the staff or security politely ask her to shut up in future... Just a happy drunk lass but...[/quote']

Good call. We moved to the top of the stairs for Bikini Atoll and an amplified band was still being drowned out by her drunken ramblings. Nice enough looking maybe, pain in the arse, definitely. Her boyfriend was pretty amusing when he decided to do some little foot shuffle dance during ABO.

I was betting on the popTart contingent being the dude with orangey hair who works in One Up and his mates, so failed on that spotting mission.....

I was betting on the popTart contingent being the dude with orangey hair who works in One Up and his mates' date=' so failed on that spotting mission.....[/quote']

that would have been Stephen Dedalus, the other 2 dedalus guys were at that table as well, and a smattering of copy_haho guys with a couple of others.

Guest bluesxman
Im sure that was the bloke who was telling all and sundry that it was the worst gig ever.

With the mixture of musical styles for the 4 different acts I wonder what music he actually likes to declare the whole night the worst gig ever?