aberdeen-music

does aberdeen need an alternative venue?

Ollie

Was having a discussion about this with some freinds last nite. Is their potential for a small venue to open up where people who arent realy into dancing and getting fucked but rahter wanna sit back and listen to some good tunes. Good tunes being music that the likes of exodus/moshulu/ dont get the chance to air.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was having a discussion about this with some freinds last nite. Is their potential for a small venue to open up where people who arent realy into dancing and getting fucked but rahter wanna sit back and listen to some good tunes. Good tunes being music that the likes of exodus/moshulu/ dont get the chance to air.

Can you not just go and hang around in each others bedrooms. Alternative venues are pointless in Aberdeen due to the intense amount of musical snobbery that goes on. There's nothing more 'Underground' and 'Cutting Edge' than listning to that sorta stuff in ur bedroom :p

Can you not just go and hang around in each others bedrooms. Alternative venues are pointless in Aberdeen due to the intense amount of musical snobbery that goes on. There's nothing more 'Underground' and 'Cutting Edge' than listning to that sorta stuff in ur bedroom :p

What do u mean by musical snobbery? LIsten to it in your bedrooms? im 21 not 14

Isn't there a "chillout" room in Moshulu?

Best room in Moshulu. In my opinion.

Works really well as a contrast with the main room. I also prefer DJing there now..... although it does seem like going out to pasture..... for old cows/djs.....

The musical spectrum playing in the back room makes for interesting listening. Certain DJs play more of certain genres.

Personally i`m more folk/jazz/hiphop/funk/soul than electro/ambient/etc.

....although i should stop leaving Drum n Bass compilations and albums around. One day someone will staert requesting stuff...

I hope a venue like this does appear' date=' not because I'd want to visit, but because it would drain Exodus of those who don't go to dance, but instead stand around trying to have conversations over the banging tunes, and block the bar ordering pints of piss, and block the toilets as they get rid of the Tennents[/quote']

Rather than you and your boys who go and stand about at the sides with faces like slapped arses all night ;)

You fucking knows it!!

Rather than you and your boys who go and stand about at the sides with faces like slapped arses all night ;)

You fucking knows it!!

That happened only once! Or, rather, every time the floor becomes too cramped to throw a star jump, when Dave starts spinning 9-month old festival anthems. Between 00.30-02.00 we own the dancefloor :gringo:

I hope a venue like this does appear' date=' not because I'd want to visit, but because it would drain Exodus of those who don't go to dance, but instead stand around trying to have conversations over the banging tunes, and block the bar ordering pints of piss, and block the toilets as they get rid of the Tennents[/quote']

I'll have less of that Tennants bashing please!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be a wonderful idea. I regularly moan that I'd rather be at an ambient or jazz club (I suppose I should really fuck off to an actual jazz club then).

However, I have to admit that the sort of folk who would come to a place like this would, although open-minded, probably still want totally different styles of music.

Still, even if it wouldn't be financially viable to run a whole club like this, couldn't it easily be possible to have an 'ambient' or 'chillout' night once a week or something? I'm sure if it was a weekly thing, at one of aberdeen's existing clubs or venues, there would be enough people who just weren't up for the Saturday night venture of dancing-to-music-that's-just-not-quite-right.

...I'm seeing Exodus on a Wednesday/Friday, filled with Sofas, and Tom Waits or Louis Armstrong floating out of the open windows and filling Belmont Street with hope :) *sigh*

I think it would be a wonderful idea. I regularly moan that I'd rather be at an ambient or jazz club (I suppose I should really fuck off to an actual jazz club then).

However' date=' I have to admit that the sort of folk who would come to a place like this would, although open-minded, probably still want totally different styles of music.

Still, even if it wouldn't be financially viable to run a whole club like this, couldn't it easily be possible to have an 'ambient' or 'chillout' night once a week or something? I'm sure if it was a weekly thing, at one of aberdeen's existing clubs or venues, there would be enough people who just weren't up for the Saturday night venture of dancing-to-music-that's-just-not-quite-right.

...I'm seeing Exodus on a Wednesday/Friday, filled with Sofas, and Tom Waits or Louis Armstrong floating out of the open windows and filling Belmont Street with hope :) *sigh*[/quote']

Genious Idea, now how about we repaint the back room, put in a better selection of drinks and get DJ's to play Folk/Jazz/soul/bues/funk/acoustic.

Better than once a week we could do it every night it's open, and have the music at a lower level so people can chat and hang out.

Hang on a minute..............

Guest neil ex

The idea of going out and just sitting listening to alternative music doesn't appeal to me.. I'd rather sit in a pub with no music and have a chat! A good alternative club night that was busy once a week with loud music that peope could dance to would be amazing though.. Not that I can see it happening!

I know Gav (Gavfest) and others were talking about getting a club night on the go called Party Monster, but I don't know how serious they were..!