aberdeen-music

does aberdeen need an alternative venue?

Ollie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come? Can you not dance to alternative music? ;)

Your idea of a Sat night at Exodus? (Dave does good considering he has to pull the punters! ;))

I don't know how more alternative you can get than the first couple of hours at Exodus' date=' before you venture into [i']The Wire territory. You'll notice people don't dance during these two hours. This is not to do with danceability, but to do with the alternative nature of alternative music

Would people dance to The Killers if they were on at 11.30 say and a decent amount of punters were in the club already? I'd say not' date=' because they are not drunk enough to have the courage to dance.

Just an observation, no real point![/quote']

I know, they wouldn't. How many people would dance to Aberfeldy at any time? (I'm clutching at straws trying to imagine what Yousef means by "alternative music")

Yes, Aberdeen is lacking an alternative not-for-profit space where meetings can take place, bands can perform to interested parties, food can be given out to the hungry and homeless, communities can be brought together in unity and the downfall of the government can be plotted...hohoho

I've seen it all in action in plenty of places before.....Aberdeen is lacking the right type of people for this to work however.

Every post in here is off the mark so much it makes me laugh really, but it is sad to know that no one can think out of the box....

what we need is one REALLY BIG bedroom, with an oven baking cakes, and a big stereo turned really low playing the best in Arab Strap b-sides. In fact not b-sides, but demos that Aiden Moffat thought were shit but the studio inde geek picked off the floor and made them tapes. And no CD player, just a cassette deck, one of the old eighties ones that you used to plug into your spectrum. and loads of posters on the walls, and maybe a cabinet full of recorded from tv tapes of eightiens sit coms and cartoons.

Yes' date=' Aberdeen is lacking an alternative not-for-profit space where meetings can take place, bands can perform to interested parties, food can be given out to the hungry and homeless, communities can be brought together in unity and the downfall of the government can be plotted...hohoho

I've seen it all in action in plenty of places before.....Aberdeen is lacking the right type of people for this to work however.

[/quote']

Sounds like that warehouse that Franz Ferdinand co-opted for gigs in the early days. What was it called? Aberdeen is too small and isolated to have it's own movement like this, so we follow others. It doesn't bother me, someone has to

what we need is one REALLY BIG bedroom' date=' with an oven baking cakes, and a big stereo turned really low playing the best in Arab Strap b-sides. In fact not b-sides, but demos that Aiden Moffat thought were shit but the studio inde geek picked off the floor and made them tapes. And no CD player, just a cassette deck, one of the old eighties ones that you used to plug into your spectrum. and loads of posters on the walls, and maybe a cabinet full of recorded from tv tapes of eightiens sit coms and cartoons.[/quote']

You jest, but that sounds like a Neil Ex dreamland! And that of many others. Just not enough. Good.

Sounds like that warehouse that Franz Ferdinand co-opted for gigs in the early days. What was it called? Aberdeen is too small and isolated to have it's own movement like this' date=' so we follow others. It doesn't bother me, someone has to[/quote']

The Chateau. The Glasgow Barfly also used to hold a night called Kazoo, which was run by Al Kapranos and they djed with indie stuff and local bands Demos and had guest bands, undiscovered like, Belle and Seb played their first gig there. I think its started up again. Its not difficult. Just Aberdeen Music Scene is way to snobby and cliquey. Which is its own worst enemy really

its somthing we're trying to do with Underflow in the Tunnels, turn it into a Kazoo. Though people just come, see the band they want to see then fuck off. Which pisses me off because if your gonna pay three quid you might as well stay and see the full set. Even bands leave after they've played which is slightly inconsiderate to the other bands on the bill. Personally I would love to pay three quid, watch a bunch of bands and then stay and have a bit of a dance or listen to Djs playing for the rest of the night. People in general dont care enough for such a venue to work up here.

Guest neil ex
You jest' date=' but that sounds like a Neil Ex dreamland! [/quote']

ye what?! That sounds horrible!

I'm purely talking fantasy like.. Bloc Party, The Killers, Interpol, Kaiser Cheifs, Kasabian - That's not alternative..! It just gets tiresome hearing that all the time.. If it wasn't for going to Exodus I wouldn't know any of those songs. I get some of the bands mixed up like, but still.. ;)

I don't know how a good Alternative night could work anyway, infact I don't even know what I would have in mind, but it would be free of all that NME pish.. There just isn't enough interest (everyone's happy playing it safe and going to Exodus anyway, you'll always bump into a pal), Xenophen being a recent example..

Yes Yes I know... Thanks for that..

what we need is one REALLY BIG bedroom' date=' with an oven baking cakes, and a big stereo turned really low playing the best in Arab Strap b-sides. In fact not b-sides, but demos that Aiden Moffat thought were shit but the studio inde geek picked off the floor and made them tapes. And no CD player, just a cassette deck, one of the old eighties ones that you used to plug into your spectrum. and loads of posters on the walls, and maybe a cabinet full of recorded from tv tapes of eightiens sit coms and cartoons.[/quote']

THAT WOULD BE PERFECT!!!

...as long as it somehow involved Tom waits.

Bloc Party' date=' The Killers, Interpol, Kaiser Cheifs, Kasabian - That's not alternative..! It just gets tiresome hearing that all the time..[/quote']

Those sort of bands are what I hate about Exodus... and yet, ironically, they are basically what Exodus seems to be all about... and yet I still go.

Actually, you know what. I've stopped hearing the Killers and Kaiser chiefs so much last few times. It's actually that fucking Bon Jovi that's pissing me off about Exodus at the moment.... Bastard band that they are.

ye what?! That sounds horrible!

I'm purely talking fantasy like.. Bloc Party' date=' The Killers, Interpol, Kaiser Cheifs, Kasabian - That's not alternative..! It just gets tiresome hearing that all the time.. If it wasn't for going to Exodus I wouldn't know any of those songs. I get some of the bands mixed up like, but still.. ;)

I don't know how a good Alternative night could work anyway, infact I don't even know what I would have in mind, but it would be free of all that NME pish.. There just isn't enough interest (everyone's happy playing it safe and going to Exodus anyway, you'll always bump into a pal), Xenophen being a recent example..

Yes Yes I know... Thanks for that..[/quote']

If you wouldn't know any of those bands if you didn't go to exodus, surely that makes them more alternative. Interpol would be your favourite band in the world if they had only released that EP on Chemikal Underground. Aberfeldy had a decent sized feature in NME a while back so you better stop liking them. You don't know it Yousef but you are more shallow in which bands you decide to like than those who only listen to bands who NME big-up, because you will totally disregard a band purely because they are popular with the music press like NME. You are too much of cynical Daria-style hipster to like music that will ever be played in a club.

Those sort of bands are what I hate about Exodus... and yet' date=' ironically, they are basically what Exodus seems to be all about... and yet I still go.

Actually, you know what. I've stopped hearing the Killers and Kaiser chiefs so much last few times. It's actually that fucking [b']Bon Jovi that's pissing me off about Exodus at the moment.... Bastard band that they are.

You'd much rather be breakdancing to an untitled Sigur Ros song?? :cheers:

that pretty funny but do you really think that people are into pelican' date=' sigor ros and all the rest just to be alternative? seems like that on the surface maybe but i dont really think so.[/quote']

Not neccessarily but some will refuse to like more popular bands in addition to these bands cos it will damage their cred.

All this NME criticism is a bit unfounded. I don't buy the publication, however, the whole point of it is to cover the latest news in the pop/indie rock world, review albums and gigs of what's new and hot. It's up to you as a reader to decide whether you agree with what they are writing; I accept that younger teenagers can easily be drawn into the opinions of NME and because it's "cool" to like a band, but who didn't do the same when they were younger? If you can't think for yourself by now then I think you should be worrying about yourself, not what NME is writing...

Aye but what I'm saying is, at your age you should be above being susceptible to the latest craze, just because some journalist writes that it's cool. But if you like it, then fine and dandy.

Y'know, if there was a truly dedicated alternative magazine then it would be the same thing as NME in a lot of ways, it would tell you that you should like certain bands, like Pelican or whatever. Obviously, any magazine is going to point you in the direction of bands that they believe in. If you don't like it, then don't buy it!

NME's kinda like fashion.

Music if kinda like fashion. Fads come and go. Some come can make the most of it by discoevering the limited number good bands which come out of a fad, where as others are too cool to dare like a fashionable band. The problem is that some people are incapable of judging bands on their individual merits. For example I like Bloc Party and Interpol, but i don't like Kaisers, Bravery etc, although i do think those bands are capable of a decent single or two (you are officially a cunt if you don't like Honest Mistake) and i am happy to dance to them in exodus, not caring whether or not anyone will remember them in ten years.

Music if kinda like fashion. Fads come and go. Some come can make the most of it by discoevering the limited number good bands which come out of a fad' date=' where as others are too cool to dare like a fashionable band.[/quote']

There's irony there, it's cool to not be cool because you dislike cool music!