aberdeen-music

do aberdeen 'music lovers' even know whats going on under their noses...?!!

Dizzy Storm

we at Arkade Projects would love feedback from everyone on this....

we reckon we put in a lot of bloody effort to bring some great bands to this city. but sometimes we ask ourselves 'why the hell do we do it?!'...(well WE know why...cause we want to see them, first and foremost!) but a lot of the time we are let down by bad turnouts, which leads to a strain on the pocket which could eventually lead to us not being able to do it at all.

so...we just wonder...are you, the aberdeen gig-going population, even interested in/bothered about seeing the bands we put on? what maybe puts you off coming to an Arkade Projects show? is it the wierd/different venues we are choosing?! not enough promtion? or you're just not that interested in seeing cutting edge new music?! or maybe just lazy?

we really believe we are doing something worthwhile and great for the city, bringing acts to aberdeen, and sometimes scotland, for the first time...culturally important i'd say. but if the scene isn't supported by the public it can't last...

we definately know that there were people missing at the Charlottefield/Paper Cut Out show who would have loved it...the glasgow show was packed out the door.we have great things lined up for the next few months but are nervous to tell you the truth.

where are all these anonymous faces who claim to be into the kind of stuff we want to put on?!

feedback please...!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont get us wrong, we love all of you who do make the effort every time, and we do get punters along...we just think these bands deserve a bigger audience. and we know that a lot more people would dig them all...

how come we're so passionate about these acts we book and others aren't?! i refuse to believe thats the case though...!

I for one try my hardest to go to as many gigs as funds will allow. Also, as with most things in life, sometimes things clash (i woulda loved to have been at the gig on friday but i felt obliged to stay at the gig i was playing at. Plus i wanted to see Along Came Man- and wasn't disappointed).

The Smackdown show was ace, a bit cramped, but special nonetheless. I like the way you use different venues, it made a change to see a gig at captain toms.

Don't lose heart, as Kevin Costner was once told 'If you build it they will come'.

hmm well I don't know who I speak for, probably no-one but generally I don't go to gigs to see bands I have never heard of. Maybe its bcos people don't know who the bands are and are unwilling to go incase they do not like what they hear. Some people are very 'iffy' with their money and how they spend it

hmm well I don't know who I speak for' date=' probably no-one but generally I don't go to gigs to see bands I have never heard of. Maybe its bcos people don't know who the bands are and are unwilling to go incase they do not like what they hear. Some people are very 'iffy' with their money and how they spend it[/quote']

in that case, they should read reviews or download mp3's available.

Guest Page 99

I have always enjoyed Arkade and Dr Drakes shows, and have always atempted to make it to as many of them as humany possible. Although I don't know what happened with the Charlottefield gig... buh

I've always thought that a heck of a lot of drakes gigs were under attended. Heck, the first Evacuating Heaven gig with Evidence Of Truama was totaly deserted apart from the few friends which we had asked to come along. Which was pretty damn crap considering the amount of people who would have enjoyed EOT and the other bands that night, less said about our performance that night the better though.

I actualy seiriously hope you guys continue doing what you're doing though. I miss the Drakes premisis enough, but losing a promotion team who actualy bring interesting music to aberdeen instead of the same ol turgid nonsense would drive a lot of people to go musicaly crazy...

Oh yeah, and pleae try and Birds of Paradise back up here! They were awsome! (although another badly attended gig)

Don't lose heart' date=' as Kevin Costner was once told 'If you build it they will come'.[/quote']

Although firmly in the shadow of the first movie, would it not have been more suited to quote Wayne's World 2 for this one?

"If you book them, they will come."

:D

Guest Page 99
hmm well I don't know who I speak for' date=' probably no-one but generally I don't go to gigs to see bands I have never heard of. Maybe its bcos people don't know who the bands are and are unwilling to go incase they do not like what they hear. Some people are very 'iffy' with their money and how they spend it[/quote']

But in retrospect you could be pleasently surprised and actualy enjoy the gig, and perhaps even broaden your musical horizons?

It's not hard to find out what band's sound like these days, there is enough zines, mp3 sources and other music based websites to cater for most bands, and if not, why not take a risk and stop being a middle aged housewife?

in that case' date=' they should read reviews or download mp3's available.[/quote']

How many people are gonna just see a bandname and quickly go off to read a review or download an MP3? People generally won't do that unless there's a big buzz around a band, and there doesn't tend to be around these bands.

How many people are gonna just see a bandname and quickly go off to read a review or download an MP3? People generally won't do that unless there's a big buzz around a band' date=' and there doesn't tend to be around these bands.[/quote']

they could easily read the descriptions of the bands that given up announcement. if that interests them, then they can look for reviews and mp3's.

if they don't want to put that effort in then they are missing out on some really good bands.

Guest neil ex

I'm interested in anything Arkade Projects put on. The gigs are usually only about 3/4 at the most and they've put on countless great bands in intimate venues..

they could easily read the descriptions of the bands that given up announcement. if that interests them' date=' then they can look for reviews and mp3's.

if they don't want to put that effort in then they are missing out on some really good bands.[/quote']

If someone doesn't want to put the effort in they are unlikely to like the bands in question because they have no interest in that kind if music. I know you're all young and righteous and all that, but nobody has a duty to attend gigs just cos they have been put on by someone.

If someone doesn't want to put the effort in they are unlikely to like the bands in question because they have no interest in that kind if music. I know you're all young and righteous and all that' date=' but nobody has a duty to attend gigs just cos they have been put on by someone.[/quote']

i was addressing the fact that a poster said people may be unwilling to part with money if they haven't heard the bands before.

i didn't once mention that people have a duty to attend any gigs, let alone gigs put on my "someone".

I think it's essentially because a lot of the time, the music just doesn't interest me enough to actually draw me in - there's been a couple of gigs that I've wanted to see, but in all honesty, a lot of the things put on just doesn't inspire me in the slightest. I do make the effort to listen to the MP3's, but "cutting edge" just doesn't well..cut it? A lot of the time, the music just isn't in my interest - it might be new, fresh and all the rest of it, but it just isn't pleasing to my ears. As other people have suggested, maybe it's just too diverse for mass appeal?

A suggestion though : if Arkade is feeling the squeeze from putting on gigs that aren't well attended, why not put on some gigs that will have mass appeal to build up some money for other things?

I won't comment about promotion, the majority of gigs that do well do well because of word of mouth and not because of flyers/posters/etc - so to me, the Arkade promotion is just fine.

i was addressing the fact that a poster said people may be unwilling to part with money if they haven't heard the bands before.

i didn't once mention that people have a duty to attend any gigs' date=' let alone gigs put on my "someone".[/quote']

No i was going back to the original point being made with that, just taking into account that as you said people can hear MP3s etc.

Aberdeen is going to suffer in the long term, i mentioned to Stuart Maxwell (banned) today that people were pissed off about Drakes shutting....and now are verging on finishing the whole Arkade project before it builds momentum...

Arkade are bringing alot of diverse, cutting edge and popular on the underground scene bands to our city...im sure they aren't asking you to come for the sake of coming and helping their profits (which they dont take for themselves and are used to fund other gigs) if you dont actually like what they are putting on that night....

But what they are trying to say is that they are putting on musical styles/genres that people say they like on these forums and wont go out and listen to the smaller act because they are unknown to them....

Refering back to the Charlottefield gig...im sure literally hundreds of people who use these very boards would have thought they were a tremendous band....and if more people show up to these kind of gigs THEN they will have the funds to book the bigger acts...they cant just go out and book your favourate band when turnouts are so low, the risk would be immense for them....

I do actually find it disgraceful the amount of people at Friday's gig....and Charlottefield are a pretty well known band....

Aberdeen is going to suffer in the long term' date=' i mentioned to Stuart Maxwell (banned) today that people were pissed off about Drakes shutting....and now are verging on finishing the whole Arkade project before it builds momentum...

Arkade are bringing alot of diverse, cutting edge and popular on the underground scene bands to our city...im sure they aren't asking you to come for the sake of coming and helping their profits (which they dont take for themselves and are used to fund other gigs) if you dont actually like what they are putting on that night....

But what they are trying to say is that they are putting on musical styles/genres that people say they like on these forums and wont go out and listen to the smaller act because they are unknown to them....

Refering back to the Charlottefield gig...im sure literally hundreds of people who use these very boards would have thought they were a tremendous band....and if more people show up to these kind of gigs THEN they will have the funds to book the bigger acts...they cant just go out and book your favourate band when turnouts are so low, the risk would be immense for them....

I do actually find it disgraceful the amount of people at Friday's gig....and Charlottefield are a pretty well known band....[/quote']

They are clearly not well known enough. The fact of the matter is that most people want to see bands they already know well and like.

The fact of the matter is that most people want to see bands they already know well and like.

Each to their own i guess....but i find that cretinous....how can you develop a broad musical taste if you are un-willing to try new things?

They are clearly not well known enough.

Well that depends on what musical tastes you are into....they are pretty well known to people in my circles.....

They are clearly not well known enough. The fact of the matter is that most people want to see bands they already know well and like.

that is the point I was tryin to make. If people havnt heard of a band they aren't exactly going to be over-the-moon to see sumthing they havnt even heard of. hearing about a band by spread of word usually catches my attention. If i havnt even heard someone say "try these guys, they are worth a listen" then they don't really appeal to me

Also. Sometimes its difficult to know what kind of music a band plays just by their name. You could, for example go to a gig expecting rock or metal and discover that it is indie or sumthing far more sinister...like pop

Each to their own i guess....but i find that cretinous....how can you develop a broad musical taste if you are un-willing to try new things?

Not my way of thinking but it is that of most people.

Well that depends on what musical tastes you are into....they are pretty well known to people in my circles.....

Well you must have small circles if the turnout was such as disaster. They obviously aren't very well known if they can't get a decent turnout.

I know you're all young and righteous and all that' date=' but nobody has a duty to attend gigs just cos they have been put on by someone.[/quote']

I fully agree with you there, and I felt that there was this expectation that you must attend, on many different occasions. Too many times I've felt this pressure, from friends, promoters etc resulting in me saying "No I don't HAVE to see this band!" It's one of the key factors that puts me off nowadays. The last two gigs I've been to, the different promoters at the door of the respective venues have exclaimed what a tragedy it was that I missed some of the show. I refuse to be made to feel guilty, whether they tried to make me feel like that or not.

I saw Charlottefield and felt they were bland. They were great musicians, and they rocked the ticket, but what's the point if they're just noise/rhythm progression? I'm no fan of math rock, so that explains some of my mediocre reaction, but I like the Oxes, I like Sonic Youth, I like the Paper Chase, who are all regarded as hard to listen to groups, but I didn't enjoy the band at all. A couple of points they were interesting but it didn't float my boat.

From what I gather from friends, Paper Cut Out were along the same lines. Automatically you're cutting away a massive proportion of gig goers because of the selection of a line up. There's nothing wrong with that, but you have to be able to make up for the eclectic bands with additional promotion, telling people that this IS the show which they'll be upset about if they miss.

If I didn't speak to Maxi, I wouldn't have known about this show, simple as that. My situation is different though because I'm based out of town. I think Aberdeen has a problem in general where there isn't a big scene consciousness out with the scene itself, and the areas, and media available to put on shows, and promote are fragmented both geographically and ideologically.

You look around a small/local gig and 60-70% of those in attendance are in a band (or so I have gleaned from the shows Ive been to over the last 5 years). That just shows you what is wrong with audiences. How do we change this?

Aberdeen's situation is a big nut to crack, I never found a good way to combat it in my naive period of promoting, and I'm not criticising or at least don't mean to come across as having a go. Id rather shout out loud than sit on the fence.

Alastair

Not my way of thinking but it is that of most people.

Yeah dont get me wrong...i wasnt doing a personal attack

They obviously aren't very well known if they can't get a decent turnout.

This is the loosly the point i was trying to make...the promoters must be pissed off because people claim they like these bands (not just in Charlottefields case) and dont turn up...it must piss them off alot...

Well you must have small circles

They are 4m x 6m