aberdeen-music

Brendon Neill's new song

Guest jack bm

Technically: it is pretty good.

Musically: I really dislike this genre, so I didn't really enjoy this song.

Lyrically: it sounds like he's coming from the "first thing that comes into my head" school. "Why can't we all be free", " we need to stand together", etc.

AKM

PS - that guitar solo is SO Eurorock. "Final Countdown" anyone?

Technically: it is pretty good.

Musically: I really dislike this genre' date=' so I didn't really enjoy this song.

Lyrically: it sounds like he's coming from the "first thing that comes into my head" school. "Why can't we all be free", " we need to stand together", etc.

AKM

PS - that guitar solo is SO Eurorock. "Final Countdown" anyone?[/quote']

I agree with this.

i'm absolutely convinced that this kid has a lot better to offer than that. it's a bit droning, it never really goes anywhere and to be honest, it totally gives me the impression that this youngster doesn't want to be doing that kind of music. something more upbeat might work better. it's maybe just because he's young but the whole scenario makes me think of johnny lang. playing something more upbeat and a bit bluesy with a youngish band who really get into the music and who carry forward more enthusiasm might be better.

then again, i might be talking pish!

and although the lyrics aren't super-strong, that wouldn't be my first concern. i think that'll come with time and the kind of music being played needs to be addressed first.

/x

The fact that he's 12 pretty much means your just going to get people saying 'he's good for his age', which he is, but I wouldn't buy a CD or anything. Don't turn his music into a party trick, there's something a bit contrived about the website, the fact that 'I'm completely self-taught' is highlighted just makes him seem like a gimmick.

Tip - when I was listening to the song I sped up the tempo and it sounds much better, get him to play it much faster.

i agree the lyrics ar pish, but hay the lyrics are not everything, i myself am a guitarist (self-taught) and have been playing for about 5 years, what hes playing is perfect for that type of song, i dont know why you guys are sying the solos shit.? is sounds fine to me, well recorded and a good voice, i can tell his voice has broken since his older stuff.

and yeh you should treat him more like an adult player than relying on his age to be a factor. stop saying 12yo brand..... that will just make people complament is music coz of his age, you want real, helpfull comments which will benifit you and him and yes some people will give you a "hammering" but some people are assholes. take it from me every comment is a constructive comment.

(good for his age :D )

Hmm, I hate to say it, but I really didn't care for this one at all. I didn't like the vocal style, the kind of Placebo voice. The Guitar work was very run of the mill, and I didn't care for the solo, not enough emotion. The lyrics I couldn't get a feel for either, they were too cliched. But don't take it to heart, I like some of Brendon's work, this is just a slip along the way.

But as stated above, stop promoting him as "12 year old brendon" and "self taught". You'll get much more constructive criticism this way, and because almost all the Guitarists I know are self taught, and some damn good ones at that, it's not really that big a deal. Take this with a pinch of salt. This isn't meant to offend, it's just pure honest advice and constructive criticism (to my understanding anyway).

Andy

Guest jack bm

Okay my turn, first and foremost this time it doesn't matter if you like the song. There has been some comments that are good and some bad, SO What, I'm not anoyed. Let's look at what this song is about, a 13 year old's view of what happened in London (yes he was 13 last Saturday). The lyrics are simple they were meant to be. The tempo? if you listen to the drumbeat at the start you will see that is at the speed of a slow march, therefore the tempo throughout the song. We keep hearing about Brendon's guitar playing well in my opinion there are a lot of guitarist twice his age would like to play as good as him (my opinion) Have any of you taken into consideration that Brendon does'nt only play the guitar on his recordings he plays the drums, bass, and keyboards helps in the production and the mix. I never hear anything about this. There is no soundcards, computers, use of "Reason" everything that is recorded he has played live.

Jimmy Jaz you almost said some thing nice be carefull LOL.

Thanks for your comments guys good or bad.

Jack

I think everything he ever does should be released as 12 yr old Brenden Neil.

then no one will take the kid seriously, you get endless "that good for his age" and so on. when he hits pubes thats when the real lyrics of chicks, smokes and beers will come in so the lyrics are not to worry about. the song is very well put together as i have said, it just a bit repetive hear and there.

Belive me its easyer to take comments with a pinch of salt that try to defend yourself, you cant win, but heeps of people have heard it so you did what you set out to do.

chi666

Okay my turn' date=' first and foremost this time it doesn't matter if you like the song. [/quote']

Does this mean you don't want any of our opinions? If so why put it on a feedback forum?

Have any of you taken into consideration that Brendon does'nt only play the guitar on his recordings he plays the drums, bass, and keyboards helps in the production and the mix.

This doesn't change how good/bad the song sounds to us.

Haha yes...but seriously two Zs!

i. stop saying 12yo brand..... that will just make people complament is music coz of his age' date='

(good for his age :D )[/quote']

8o mabye he did that to increase the amount of people that view this thread.....like.....nobodys gonna view a thread if it says "60yo brendon"

Okay my turn' date=' first and foremost this time it doesn't matter if you like the song. There has been some comments that are good and some bad, SO What, I'm not anoyed. Let's look at what this song is about, a 13 year old's view of what happened in London (yes he was 13 last Saturday). The lyrics are simple they were meant to be. The tempo? if you listen to the drumbeat at the start you will see that is at the speed of a slow march, therefore the tempo throughout the song. We keep hearing about Brendon's guitar playing well in my opinion there are a lot of guitarist twice his age would like to play as good as him (my opinion) Have any of you taken into consideration that Brendon does'nt only play the guitar on his recordings he plays the drums, bass, and keyboards helps in the production and the mix. I never hear anything about this. There is no soundcards, computers, use of "Reason" everything that is recorded he has played live.

Thanks for your comments guys good or bad.

Jack[/quote']

Disagree, most guitarsits I know twice his age are indefinately better. The lyrics are simple, but regardless of what they are meant to be, they don't work with this song. The drums and bass are adequete, but anyone could get to this level within a short period. Seriously, promote him as a musician, not a kid gimmick. I think he has some talent and I expexct some great things of him, but if you keep promoting him as you're doing, he'll just become a memory, of the gimmick kid.

Andy

The lyrics just sound very forced, to be honest it sounds as if hes just decided to write a song about the london bombing for the heck of it, not because it meant something and for the emotion hes trying to put into the song, it just doesnt work. Regardless, his instrument playing is damn good for his age, but the song just doesnt do anything for me.

to save people reading all the posts so far, i'll just briefly sum up what's been said:

negative:

he's a shite guitarist

the lyrics are shite

he doesn't care about the bombings in london, he just pretends he does

the fact he's only 12 means fuck all since he's so shite

the singing is shite

any cunt could play the bass and drums like that without any effort

positive:

it's alright

any one got any more feedback for this? we're doing good so far