aberdeen-music

Worst injury at a gig ever?

kirkt

I don't go down front of gigs to act macho or anything like some twats but even when your just there to have a good time, you can get hurt...anyone got any horror stories of broken bones or missing teeth from a gig?

My worst was prob at Sick of it all in edinburgh last year, i was on barrier at front and people pushed forward and my finger was crushed between the barrier and stage, looked brutal afterwards. Amount of flying bodies resulted in a lot of bruises next day too :(

Burstwick Fest was the most fun gig ever, loads of drunk people jumpin about on crash mats and piggyback rides and ho downs...we had a wall of death for tearjerk and i fell down, everyone jumped on me and fucked my back up, i literally couldnt sit down for bout a week, it still hurts every now and then. other than that, i cracked my toe off front of stage when i saw red lights flash in hull which i couldn't bend for a while, got a big bruise on my chin at flogging molly, and couldn't bend my thumb for a week after a night at the legendary Indian Queen at Boston...

Guest Tam o' Shantie

nothing too bad has ever happened to me however at the captain everything and 10ew show in watford last year 2 people had broken ribs from people pushing to get into the venue. during our set the crowd was pretty fucking rough and some girl got her nose broken with a kick to the face! PUNX 4 EVA

Mine was at one of our own gigs in Macduff. I'd just acquired my new radio mic and took the oppurtunity to mingle with the monkey in the crowd. One particularly cute looking young lady was about 20 yards away so I thought "slide across floor on knees and stop at her feet!!" - genius - Unfortunately some twat had dropped a pint glass and not cleared it up and I proceeded to slide right through the broken glass....much blood! :down:

and couldn't bend my thumb for a week after a night at the legendary Indian Queen at Boston...

ahh, The Indian Queen. place of legends.

latelky I fucke dmy thumb up at Black Tax and Fighting Shit in Glasgow. Badly staved, possibly broken, still hurts if I bend it too much or play guitar hard.

Mine was at one of our own gigs in Macduff. I'd just acquired my new radio mic and took the oppurtunity to mingle with the monkey in the crowd. One particularly cute looking young lady was about 20 yards away so I thought "slide across floor on knees and stop at her feet!!" - genius - Unfortunately some twat had dropped a pint glass and not cleared it up and I proceeded to slide right through the broken glass....much blood! :down:

haha thats a great story.

i remember seeing muse for the first time on the second stage at reading a few years ago. fantastic gig. they went ape shit at the end, matt trashed his guitar, and the headstock came flying off, whizzed inches above the crowds heads for a highly respectable distance, and smashed the guy standing directly to my left in the face. ouch. i saw it coming, but there was no time to duck for anybody. there was a lot of blood. i crowdsurfed out :)

personally, i was crowdsurfing to the almighty in the barrowlands when they toured 'crank'. someone punched me in the balls as i rolled around. i popped over the front andi spent four songs being sick. or the time the almighty were touring 'powertrippin' and playing the music hall with the wildhearts and kerbdog. i surfed over the barrier during something or other, but there were so many people doing likewise there was no bouncer to catch me. i smashed my kneecap off a bit of metal, and spent the next 18 months limping. and with the ability to move my knee cap around. that was fucking bad. :)

deadloss injuries - there's been a few...

At Strapping Young Lad i thought it was a good laugh to join what was all i could say a pit of death.

My nose felt like it had been stretched across my face and the blood was just everywhere which was nice

My first time seeing Risactonia at Lava i chipped a few teeth in the pit

the usual

I got pushed in to one of the big polls on the dancefloor at moshulu when Capdown were playing and got a bit bump on the back of my head, it was the most painful thing thats ever happened to me at a gig before.

Some guy hit me in the face at Green Day and I did actually get a little bruise but it wasn't that bad.

I tend to keep myself safe.

I got pushed in to one of the big polls on the dancefloor at moshulu when Capdown were playing and got a bit bump on the back of my head' date=' it was the most painful thing thats ever happened to me at a gig before.

Some guy hit me in the face at Green Day and I did actually get a little bruise but it wasn't that bad.

I tend to keep myself safe.[/quote']

Jesus! Can't they conduct these things somewhere else!!!

i fell off a human pyramid last night head first onto a concrete floor. it still hurts.

also, i have a scar on my shoulder from falling on broken glass at a karloff gig. and i have a scar on my arm fron the very last night at drakes, dont know how i got it.

I was crowd surfing at Skunk Anansie in the Music Hall in 1996 and as I got near the front some girl decided not to put her hands up and I got dropped right on my head. As I was lying on the floor I was worried about getting trampled on because it was so crushed and I had no room to get up, so I reached up to ask her to help me to get up, stupid bitch just started jumping up and down and lotsa people were stepping on me. Some guy behind her eventually helped me up, had a few bumps and bruises but nothing too painful, was pretty scary though being trampled on.

Later on in the gig I accidentally headbutted her and broke her nose. I felt a bit guilty but sort of justified at the same time.

during Blink 182's set at Reading...three years ago? the section of the pit i was in collapsed and being tiny as i am, i panicked a little when some fat bint stood on my leg. Luckily some crusty old punk pushed her off and heaved me to safety. Leg hurt a little after but nothing a good nights sleep didn't fix!

Sorest was Deftones at the Barrowlands almost two years ago when someone was crowdsurfing over the barrier, i put my head down but his feet crashed onto my head sending my nose smack off the barrier. Ouch. No blood but it was fucking painful.

Other injuries are just from being crushed at the front, worst in recent times were Bleeding Through at moshulu, my right leg was in agony after that gig as i had it up on stage to push myself back. That and the last Johnny Truant gig too. Same reason.

I badly hurt my knee playing football a week before seeing Symposium at the Lemon Tree, about 7 years ago. Still went to the gig, and ended up landing on a monitor from crowdsurfing, resulting in an inability to walk properly for about 6months. For the last 7 years i've had to get surgery on that knee 3 times because its so fragile

Still..... i saw symosium, not many people my age (21) can say that :rockon:

I've never really been into the whole moshpit thing (especially know I'm a grizzled old man), but I did get a couple of injuries whilst playing with the Lorelei.

1) Stung by a wasp whilst busking in Inverness (while the rest of the band scattered like flower sniffing girls)

and

2) The crowd at a gig in carrbridge pulled one of the rafters from the false ceiling down, which landed on my head.

Regards

Flossie

Not counting the mental damage sustained from being in a band:

At one of the better shows Psycho A Go-Go played Lava, I consumed a bottle of red wine over the course of our 25 minute set, afterwhich I promptly went arse over tit down the concrete stairs next to the stage.

We also played a show in Blackburn where I thought it would be a good idea to hang from the rotating disco ball above the stage. It came loose from the roof and it (and me) came crashing down smashing into pieces on the "stage", showering me, band and audience with broken glass. We didn't get paid because of that, boy was I popular.

Also with PaGG, upstairs at the Palace - I climbed onto the edge of the elevated (about 12-15 feet) DJ booth and leapt off, more ankle/knee damage sustained.

Again with PaGG, playing at the Aberdeen Union with Sirius and Quik (I think), kicked over a glass wich smashed. I didn't notice, and subsequently rolling around the floor doing my best Iggy Pop managed to lodge some bits of glass in my forearm. Braindead students didn't bat an eyelid at the blood pissing out of the wounds though...

Numerous split lips/ mic-grille-shaped head wounds from beating myself around the head with microphones.

My back, knees and ankles hurt all the time these days, can't complain though - it's all mostly self-inflicted.