aberdeen-music

Metrosexuals (you know who you are!)

JME

Whats been bugging me for a while is all this rather feminine attention alot of guys i know have been giving to their hair, namely using hair-straighteners. Now i dont have straight hair, but even at its eye-level length i have never considered straightening it, yet so many guys do, is it me or is it all a bit gay?

Most girls i've talked too dont seem too impressed by this, and generally laugh at stories such as a gut i know getting an 80 hair straightner for christmas. I mean fucking hell...

Whats everyones view on this?? Am i just being ' Metrophobic' ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i reckon the media have a big part to play. Before it was just women that were told that looking like a catwalk model was essential. Now companies are targeting men. Walking into any night club, whethar it be exodus, moshulu, priory, espionage i think its the norm to be 'metrosexual'. Personally I dont have a problem with it cos people can express themselves however they like. However i think if you look a bit different, ( or in other words minus the funky hair, minus the tight , stripey tshirt and tight fashionable jeans/trousers, minus the blazer) youre made to feel insuperior and inadequate. I wouldnt say that its gay to look like this but i think theres a blurring of boundaries concerning what it now means to be male. Taking care of your looks was traditionally a feminine quality but now taking care of your looks has become an increasing male notion. I have to say that i do feel pressure to conform to the expectations that society places on my age group but to be honest im nae the kinda person that follows a trend . ta.