aberdeen-music

Ascension MP3's!!!

Doc Ascension

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to foyer equipment' date=' as far as I'm aware they have an alesis HD24, which is a 24track hard disk recorder, which can use ADAT technology (SPDIF in/out in chunks of 8 tracks, syncing with a BRC and other ADAT machines via 9pin serial etc). The unit comes with an onboard 10mbps ethernet port which allows you to connect to the machine via FTP and download each individual track, each song will appear as a directory. Of course 10mbps is old hat now ( why they didn't make it a 10/100/1000 I don't know) so this is more of an overnight job. One step up (or 40 steps up!) they can purchase a firewire adaptor for the hard drive caddie (Alesis fireport) this allows you, using software, to download songs from a hard drive to a PC over firewire, which speeds are more like 400mbps, resulting in a very quick transfer (you can copy 24 entire tracks of a song in less the time it would take to transfer over SPDIF), all 24 tracks can then be dumped into cubase (etc) without any dodgy alligning needing done. they're also using mackie 24:8 desk, which has direct outs on all 24 tracks, so i dunno why they're printing to as few as 8/9 tracks...

hehe, I'd suggest AGAINST this, but won't mention why ;)[/quote']

I'm not sure what the Foyer plans to do, but there was definately no time to dump them into Cubase like I would've wanted im afraid. But hey thats the way it goes!! They also didn't have enough channels to fully capture the drums properly, don't know why but it is a community centre not a full recording studio, and I'm happy with what we've got taking that fact into consideration!

I'm not sure what the Foyer plans to do' date=' but there was definately no time to dump them into Cubase like I would've wanted im afraid. But hey thats the way it goes!! They also didn't have enough channels to fully capture the drums properly, don't know why but it is a community centre not a full recording studio, and I'm happy with what we've got taking that fact into consideration![/quote']

Dude, according to their site they've got some great gear, and they're charging 16 per hour...I'd expect more from them. My older band cut 10 songs in 3 hours at Fluxus studios and had a decent-ish tape, and it cost us like 36! Too many studios in Aberdeen cutting corners these days it looks... :down:

Guest Zeenat Aman
Too many studios in Aberdeen cutting corners these days it looks... :down:

The band are mostly responsible for the quality of their demo though.

To my ears' date=' the playing and singing itself is mostly to blame for what is, in my opinion, a very shoddy demo.

Haha yeah you can argue "shit in/shit out" but the engineering on that is bad regardless....

Oops, I cut some of the original post out because studio/recording fear comes in to play of course.

You total idiot. Have you not read ANYTHING? I recorded before the exams' date=' and I didn't appreciate Neil's "biography" of my life ... thats what I said.

The fact that you are saying "you don't like me or my band so i don't want your opinions" is TOTALLY fucking bullshit. I mean, go and start reading on the first page you arsehole. I welcomed, and thanked EVERYONE's opinion... and have taken them on board.. go on... go read....

*moan moan moan*[/quote']

You really should stop calling people idiots, not only are you conforming to the metal clich of acting like an oafish brute with many angry traits but its pretty self righteous and makes you out to be a bigger dick-shit than you probably are. You also seem to be easier to wind up and than Jamsey Weapon once was, for someone that claims everyone else is an idiot, its not to intelligent.

As for feedback on the mp3s I havent even listened to them because I went on to your website and it was so corny and done-to-death with metal poses and candle photo shoots that with such un-originality in the site, I didnt want to touch the music.

hahah i love this, here we have a group of people who will quite openly give their thoughts out other peoples music, and scourge i can remember you being quite harsh to us before as well, but yet when the roles are reversed look at yous. Haha ive never really seen a band take feedback as bad as you guys have "oh please close this thread" why? Cause you know more people are going to listen to a very very very poor demo (and to be honest i use the word lightely) of your tunes.

Meh kids.

Dude' date=' according to their site they've got some great gear, and they're charging 16 per hour...I'd expect more from them. My older band cut 10 songs in 3 hours at Fluxus studios and had a decent-ish tape, and it cost us like 36! Too many studios in Aberdeen cutting corners these days it looks... :down:[/quote']

yep, not bad set up but it's definately not used to its full potential...

well actually mate, you need more than what we had... i think there was 5 drum channels, =- 1. I can't remember.

All I know, is that there wasn't ONE channel that picked up the China Cymbol properly... if you listen to the chorus in Against the Flame, that is supposed to be a china in there, however I had to boost the volue form one of the toms I think to pick up the china at alll... Dave said they ran out of channels from the recording room

Guest Tam o' Shantie
well actually mate' date=' you need more than what we had... i think there was 5 drum channels, =- 1. I can't remember.

All I know, is that there wasn't ONE channel that picked up the China Cymbol properly... if you listen to the chorus in Against the Flame, that is supposed to be a china in there, however I had to boost the volue form one of the toms I think to pick up the china at alll... Dave said they ran out of channels from the recording room[/quote']

Here's where you display how clueless you are.

There were 5 mikes on that kit, and you think the problem with the drum sound is that there was no dedicated China Cymbal mic? 2 Microphones, even 1, can capture a full drumkit sound perfectly. The drum mix is non existant. Flabby, dead snare. There is no compression or eq on that mix, it sounds like someone has ignored the mixing process. Out of interest, did Dave even work on the sound on this?

Why would you boost a Tom channel to bring out a China crash? surely having an even drum mix is more important than bringing out a Cymbal which is used almost entirely for emphasis and effect?

Well Tom yes thats true, he didn't spend long on it at all - thats the point, cheap quick and easy for a demo purpose....

...If I could have gotten the tracks on Cubase at home I could have mixed them all week but that wasn't possible....

AND since I mentioned that the Foyer record from their DAT via digital connection to a PC in real time - I physically stood at the mixing desk and boosted the Tom track ONLY in the chorus where it needed the CHina - at this point this channel is only picking up the china (all beit quietly) so when i killed the volume back to normal levels after the chorus it was fine....

But thanks for once, for posting on a thread of mine and not being completely immature. It's a step in the right direction mate.

this sounds pretty poor, but i am not a metal fan

acension have made fools of themselves on this thread, spitting their dummies out and not letting criticism flow. im sure you really care about your band etc but cant you just get on with it? you are always going to be disliked because of the music you play and because you are an eejit on here. why not accept it and write better songs?

if you dont think its your best work, why post it?

I don't really think the recording set up can be blamed for the sound quality of your demo. It sounds as if you had basically the same set up as we had when we did ours. I can't really grasp why you'd want to have a demo that sounds like yours does. Sure you've got a rough idea of your songs recorded but why not just hook a mic up to a tape recorder at practice and you'll get basically the same thing. We took our time and we were left with something we could seriously use to send to promoters etc and, in my opinion, is one of the higher quality (sound quality wise) local demos.

I'm NOT trying to say you guys are bad, I've heard nothing but good things about you, but this demo makes you sound like you are.

(I'd like to make sure that everyone is clear that this is a comment on the sound quality ONLY! This is not me having a go or making out my band is better. There is room for at least two top notch power metal bands in aberdeen and I honestly hope that Everwicked and Ascension can gig together in the not to distant future. Bring the metal of power to the masses etc)

now see that comment is fine - its constructive, and its pretty fair.

However, if you will look around - not all the comments have been such... which is where this thread went off track ...

Well, if we wanted to spend money we could've and would've gone to a proper studio and paid to get it done properly with a good set up and engineer and mix.... however we didnt... so thats what we get, it was also cheap. I think it does convey the music of the songs which is important...

I think it does convey the music of the songs which is important...

Honestly....it doesnt....it makes you sound really bad....

Well' date=' if we wanted to spend money we could've and would've gone to a proper studio and paid to get it done properly [/quote']

To be fair...you were in a 'PROPER' studio.....and i dont know what happened but this sounds pish....i think you could have made a better demo at home with about 3 or 4 mics...im not being a shit head but this is properly poor as fuck...i would go to trading standards if i paid for such low par quality....

i think you could have made a better demo at home with about 3 or 4 mics...im not being a shit head but this is properly poor as fuck...i would go to trading standards if i paid for such low par quality....

I agree!! yes... however at the mo i don't have 3 or 4 mics.... i'm planning a home studio upgrade over the summer with a better interface and some mics and then we'll hopefully see something come out of it... at the moment i just record riffs at medium quality

well actually mate' date=' you need more than what we had... i think there was 5 drum channels, =- 1. I can't remember.

[/quote']

ive recorded a drum kit at college with one mic for the snare and hi hats, one for the kick and one overhead and it sounded far better than that shocking pish you have as a drum mix.

So "mate" you dont need more than what you did.

Well' date=' if we wanted to spend money we could've and would've gone to a proper studio and paid to get it done properly with a good set up and engineer and mix.... however we didnt... so thats what we get, it was also cheap. I think it does convey the music of the songs which is important...[/quote']

out of interest what did you pay?

we did a three track demo with mark nicol for 100 it took only two hours of live recording and an hour or so mixing plus we went back in to change stuff one of them is on my space listen to the difference, im not saying that is perfect or that brilliant but in terms of demo quality i would say its miles ahead.

I'll be completely honest here.

I like Acension a hell of a lot, after hearing Scorge tell me so much, they weren't a let down when I saw them at one of our gigs, and they're assured to get another gig off us when they get a bassist. I'm a fan of the band, I'll take the effort to go see them off my own back and generally, I hope they do well.

But.

This demo just reinforces my belief that the Foyer is a piss poor, shocking, terrible setup - and I don't use those words lightly. Virtually every single recording that I've heard from there has been similar - I know they don't claim to be professional quality, but I think the demos from there are doing bands more harm than good in the long run. Acension sound nothing like what they do in that demo, I can assure everyone of that - it is a terrible, terrible representation of the band. I can't comment on the actual performance of the music on the recording, I know nothing about it - but it's definitely nothing like what they're like live.

I know someone'll be along in a minute to defend the Foyer by claiming that it's cheap and affordable etc etc, but is that really a good thing when the demos produced are such a poor representation of the bands in question? I'm still to hear a decent track recorded there. I know you get what you pay for, but to any band considering it, I'd strongly, strongly recommend any band considering a recording to go elsewhere. Tears of Grace are another band who have a foyer recording as their demo - yet it does them no justice whatsoever.

No doubt someone'll tell me that the foyer is a charity, blah blah they can't afford to do any better etc etc - but if they can't afford to at least equal Tom's/Exile in terms of quality, what's the point in having the facility there in the first place? It's not going to benefit anyone - chances are, anyone who knows how to use the equipment there is not going to record there.

Being "non profit" is not an excuse for being poor.