aberdeen-music

George Galloway

Hog

I believe I was guilty of using the word "owned" when seeing that on the news.

It made me regret not going up and shaking the guy's hand when I had the chance at New Year.

All have denied the charges, but only Mr Galloway did it in person, denying he was an apologist for the Hussein regime, and he said he'd met the former Iraqi dictator only twice the same number of times as the US Secretary of Defence, Donald Rumsfeld.

Galloway:

"The difference is Donald Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns. I met him to try to bring about an end to sanctions, suffering and war a rather better use of two meetings with Saddam Hussein."

It was beautiful. I'm not a fan of Gorgeous George at all, but how he handled the US Senate was nothing short of marvellous.

How did the american TV networks handle that? They blanked out the sound and said he was going off on a rant.

Well so would they if they were accused of making oil deals with Saddam Hussein.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1371258.htm

How did the american TV networks handle that? They blanked out the sound and said he was going off on a rant.

Well so would they if they were accused of making oil deals with Saddam Hussein.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1371258.htm

That is terrible. Why censor a person who is speaking his mind? George Bush is pretty good at saying that he is proud of America being a democracy, this censorship kind of counteracts this

My respect (excuse the pun) is growing for George Galloway, I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I definitely respect him. He stands up to be counted and he stands by his convictions... He gave the Senate the treatment they deserved, they had a chance to finally run one Investigation by the book lawfully and respectfully, and they couldn't do it. Mr Galloway got it spot on.

I watched the whole thing... All I can say was it was most wonderful viewing!

I heard a brilliant quote, from one of the senators "listening" to Mr Galloway, he is in charge of trying to promote the use of English as the "only language" in the US, he is supposedly have been quoted as saying :

"If english was good enough for jesus, it's good enough for me".

What a bunch of dicks.

G. Galloway, I love him, and his eloquence, but he is a bit of a twit, in so many ways, but his war stance, and use of words are brilliant. what a Scot.

peep

There was a Governor of Texas named Ma Ferguson. Ma Ferguson became Governor of Texas, I believe, when her husband died. As Governor of Texas, Ma Ferguson got involved in a very controversial issue dealing with some sort of initiative in Texas about English only. She held a press conference. She held up a Bible. She said: If English is good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for Texas.

Yeah, I watched it live on Sky News. He's one of the greatest speakers I've ever heard, whether you agree with him or not. I don't know enough about him or his politics to be honest. It was brilliant tv, definitely. Especially as there was no script! Saying to the Senator that their case was full of 'schoolboy howlers' was highly amusing!!!!!

the fox news coverage is scary, check this quote to make you all think.

"The power of the press can be used to deliberately lead people astray, and to make them believe whatever propagandists want them to believe.

If you repeat a lie often enough in mass media, most people will accept it as the truth."

who said that then ?

Josef Goebbels

That's the side that I don't like about him...

and I think you'll see that most people here who have said he was great, also say "he's still a tit".

and to be fair, if you are going to quote GG's cringing "greeting" to madas hussein, I wonder what Rumsfled said when he met him, something equally as bum licking I'd imagine?

I don't agree with you that he was shite infront of the sennate...

far from it, calm, consice, eloquent...a great speaker.

shame he's so left wing he'd fly in circles.

To be fair, the collapse of the Soviet Union was a disaster for a lot of people - apart from the Baltic republics, none of the other Soviet republics have really prospered, and some are in a terrible state.

Look at the situation behind the collapse - a lot of people lost their stability and livelihoods, their jobs, their lives as a result of the collapse, while a few got ridiculously rich. Is that a good thing, or is it a catastrophe? What's the point in having freedom to vote for more than one party when you're living in povetry with no employment and no income?

So yes, I agree with Galloway's observation - although possibly not the sentiment.

Interesting how he can manage to maintain such a lavish lifestyle on an MP's salary as well' date=' isn't it?[/quote']

Well, MPs hardly get paid a pittance. I'd be pretty pleased with 50 grand a year, especially if I was getting THIS amount in expenses on top of that. Plus a quick search on google brought up this story about MPs doubling their salary easily. At least one other source of income Gorgeous George has is whatever he gets paid for his column in... well I forget what paper it is. But I'm sure it's a nice little bit of spare change for him.

Having 2 Jaguars is a bit of a luxury, but no one's accusing John Prescott of dealing with oil barons. Not to my knowledge anyway.

As for Castro, well there are a lot less dead infants and illiterates in Cuba than here or the USA. And when was the last time he invaded a country to "spread communism" like the US "spreads democracy"?

However, although it was funny seeing Galloway's amazing performance (I only wish he'd stood up and shouted "GET IT UP YEE!!!! GET IT RIIIGHT UP YEEE!!!!"), he DOES seem to have a bit of an overblown idea towards his own importance, since he seems to think everyone is always trying to claim his scalp.

Rumsfeld was doing his job. Galloway's motives were more sinister...I think.

I dont think the fact that Rumsfeld was merely doing his job, which was selling weaponry and intelligence to a brutal dictator, was any less sinister than Galloway praising a brutal dictator.

The reason Galloway was praising Saddam Hussein was because of his support for the Palestinians, which included the payment of thousands of dollars to the families of suicide bombers. Therefore, his eulogising of Hussein did not have to with any personal benefit for himself, but for his twisted political goals, like the murder of innocent Israeli citizens. If he paid money to Hussein then his actions would be on par to Rumsfelds, but he didnt, therefore Rumsfelds actions were far worse, but they do not excuse Galloways, which some people strangely think they do.

Anyway, I am surprised people are so full of praise after Galloways performance at the Senate. Did I watch the same footage as everyone else? I watched the full coverage on Sky news last night, not the well-edited footage that was shown on numerous bulletins, and from what I saw; Galloway did not come away from the Senate smelling of roses. This was for mainly two reasons: his refusal to talk fully about Mr. Zureiqat and his praise for Tariq Aziz.

Mr. Zureiqat is an Arab businessman who is closely connected to Galloway (Galloway was best man at his wedding) and donated thousands of pounds to the Miriam Appeal. What I found astonishing was the fact that Galloway stated that he never knew that his close friend, Mr. Zureiqat, was involved in oil dealings in Iraq. He made clear that he only knew he did business in Iraq and in other Middle Eastern Countries, but not that he was involved in the oil business. How many people do not know what business their close friends do?

Another thing troubling about Galloway was his refusal to say that he would condemn Mr. Zureiqat if he were found guilty of getting kick-backs from the Hussein regime. Surely, if he loved the Iraqi people as much as Galloway says he does, he would condemn someone whose dealings may have diverted much needed money going to the Iraqi people who were living in severe deprivation because of the draconian sanctions against them by the UN. However, Galloway merely avoided the question, deeming it irrelevant.

His praise for Tariq Aziz was unbelievably distasteful and it is quite something that no one in the media has mentioned it. Galloway said, yesterday, that his relationship with Aziz was friendly and that he has met with him so much times that he couldnt remember the exact number! This is astonishing when you consider that Aziz was the deputy Prime Minister of Iraq under Saddams rule and therefore oversaw the mass killings of innocent Iraqis: people whom Galloway ostensibly cares for.

All in all, it is depressing that someone like George Galloway is a Member of Parliament. It is even more depressing when you realise that he won the constituency of Bethnal Green and Bow because of the support he received from the Muslim population there, which is ironic as he is an apologist for the biggest killer of Muslims that is currently aliveSaddam Hussein.