aberdeen-music

The Cathouse, Glasgow

Jesus.H.Christ

Depends if you're going there to see a band or to go when it's a club.

Pretty darn good as a venue, although there's that pillar in the middle that's a bastard. The club nights I've been to were alright, downstairs was a bit 'old school' alternative and classics whereas upstairs was more 'pop'. Bigger dancefloor upstairs.

Check out the Cafe West on Dumbarton Road - used to be the solid rock west. It has a great vibe and brilliant tunes.

Also - the Basement on Byers Road. This is a wicked 'alternative' pub. Really cool vibe and again great tunes.

In town, I like...actually i'm stuck for in town. If I were you i'd take the tube out to the west end (Hillhead) which is the best bit of Glasgow.

The Solid Rock Cafe in town can be groovy, outside the back of Central Station, there's also Rufus T. Firefly's which is sweet sometimes, that's also roundabouts in town. The DJs at the Cathouse generally suck, though I guess more if you go on a regular basis, as their playlist seems to be near identical week on week. But it terms of a rock venue to go to, it's usually the no-brainer option...

Guest Scorge Spike

As has been mentioned before, The Cathouse as a venue is utterly ruined by the fucking pillar - unless you're right at the front, it WILL impede your view in some way. The sound wasn't all that good either, I thought.

I like the Brunswick Cellars on Sauchiehall Street.

For clubs the Art School is quite good and Optimo at the Sub Club on a Sunday night is amazing and the Barfly next to the Clyde rocks.

However, since you are into metal - then you'd like the Solid Rock Cafe and Rufus T Firefly in town.

The Cathouse is awful. Its full of kids. The music is awful, the DJs have never heard of any decent bands, they never play requests and they play the same old shit week in week out. And everyone seems to only dance to boring, old, shit songs. But I've got a feeling that you might like it Mouse......it plays far too much old metal.

The Cathouse

It's never really been full of kids when I've went. The dj's are ok.

Upstairs play a variety of tunes in the punk/hardcore/metal genres with such bands as Lostprophets, NFG, Avenged Sevenfold and Korn to name a few.Whenever I've been there they usually play 2 or 3 new songs such as Personal Jesus last time I was there when that was out at the time.

Downstairs is all classic tunes and there is usually a fair few over 30s in this floor.A few bands songs I've heard whilst being there are Ramones, Bon Jovi, Black Sabbath and Meat Loaf.

So basically, upstairs is like Moshulu on a friday night and downstairs is like Moshulu on a saturday night.They don't play much requests from what I've noticed.

Guest neil ex

I've been to club nights at the Cathouse twice. It's just full of materialistic fashion victims. The Cathouse is a more extreme version of Moshulu in that sense. I suppose, in that sense, it'd be a more extreme version of any club in Aberdeen.

Those machines are great. Bassment & Moshulu has one each.

Nice n Sleazy's also have Buckfast on optic.

Aaah but you don't have a Garth. It's not the same without a Garth.

We stocked Buckfast for a while but we found the minger connotations objectionable and dropped it. I'm not a great believer in drinks loaded with caffiene (other than coffee) because drink say 10 bottles of Red or whatever and the pulse starts to race quite unpleasantly.

Now we have Samichlaus instead, a 14% lager that tastes like mouldy sherry and makes a 7% shandy. If it was Kestral Black or Tennents Super it would be dodge, but no this stuff has true class. Delerium is for wimps!

Guest stuartmaxwell

sleazys is a good pub like, great jukebox (although they did remove yank crime by drive like jehu grrrr)

stereo reminds me of the moorings more (although they dont have the same drinks selection)

cathouse is like a bigger moshulu, its where all of the www.alternativenation.net kids hang out. its very "young gothkid/punkers". its ok i suppose, b

barfly is just shite, rubbish sound, crappy djs downstairs-nothing you can "dance" to, so people therefore stand at the side of the dancefloor and get totally fucked, aye 5/6 quid to get in for that is shite!although the new nights look a bit better dj wise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...