aberdeen-music

Is screaming "proper singing"

Hog

A difficult question? or obvious?

Is screaming or roaring part of proper singing?

I think it is and I also believe that it takes skill to pull it off properly and not damage your voice especially the guys who do it night after night on tours.

There are the guys like Burton C Bell who uses both clean and dirty vocals. Also guys like Axl Rose and perhaps to a lesser extent Hetfield who you the roughness in their throat.

Also guys like Devin Townsend who screams but also changes note while doing so. Mmmm what am I getting at here?

Is this proper singing or is it shit. Im not asking if people like screaming etc or not in music. Im asking if its proper singing. You decide, opinions please...... :up:

A difficult question? or obvious?

Is screaming or roaring part of proper singing?

I think it is and I also believe that it takes skill to pull it off properly and not damage your voice especially the guys who do it night after night on tours.

There are the guys like Burton C Bell who uses both clean and dirty vocals. Also guys like Axl Rose and perhaps to a lesser extent Hetfield who you the roughness in their throat.

Also guys like Devin Townsend who screams but also changes not while doing so. Mmmm what am I getting at here?

Is this proper singing or is it shit. Im not asking if people like screaming etc or not in music. Im asking if its proper singing. You decide' date=' opinions please...... :up:[/quote']

Depends if its in tune, doesn't it, it does take skill to scream properly, but 99% of performers can't do it properly and do it for effect instead, to scream is something anybody can do, the real skill for me is in people who can articulate it so that it sounds like it actually is words/lyrics not just a noise albeit in tune, I can't sing, but i can when singing over something hit a note, i just can't articulate it into something that works. I see a big difference between a good vocal range and aperformer that can scream.

cheers

Stuart

Guest stuartmaxwell

how do you scream in tune??screaming is noise

surely "screaming" in tune would be called shouting?

i do agree with stu though, he has a great point. i aint much of a singer and cant scream much because it kills my throat. hence i tend to shout as more often

either that or play instrumentals :D

Yeah, i think it is. I mean you definately have to be able able to holds a note. There are several shining examples of this: Howard from Killswitch (Screams in key and has an awesome operatic voice too) and Greg from Dillinger (Ditto, though less of a great 'clean' vocal). Regardless, its definately a talent- well i hope so 'cause its one of my only ones. :up:

If screaming is singing, the noise that wakes up new parents at 3am in the morning is their baby "singing".

P.S. This argument is gonna be a lot of shite anyway... if you really like screaming vocals you're gonna say it's singing, if it's not your cup of tea or you generally don't like screaming vocals you're gonna say it's not.

It's a pointless debate.

how does howard from killswitch

have an operatic voice???

also he has just got a voice infection.

i dont think screaming vocals are like singing' date=' they are meant for a different affect.

listen to what the frontman for opeth can do. He chooses different vocals for different moods within songs. Screaming and amazing singing.[/quote']

i meant from a projection sort of point rather than actual sound, he throws from the gut like an opera singer. thats all.