aberdeen-music

Choosing Highers...

A.Pel

hey, looking for a little help from you experinced ones out there.

Next month I will be picking my subjects for higher.

I do not have a fucking clue.

At the moment, I am an aspiring dentist, last week I was an art teacher. I have a tendancy to change my mind often.

Therefore, I 'd like to choose subjects that keep my options open. We have to take English. I would like to take 5 subjects.

I'm thinking.. art, chemistry, biology, english and then either physics (easiest subject in the world) or maths.

How hard are these subjects?? Reckon I'm fucked up?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son did a computer program at school, designed to help you with your career choice. After answering a heap of questions (seriously, not taking the piss) he was told that his best matches for a career were these........wigmaker, taxidermist or tattooist. Needless to say he's not totally confident that these are paths which he should follow!

I've heard, that it's best to take physics and maths, they sort of fit-together...i personally wouldn't know because i didn't take either of them...I have a friend who also wants to be a dentist, she was told she needs to do highers in all three science, english and maths in order to become a dentist.

so err, yeh, good luck with that :rolleyes:

(also-careers advisor would be a good plan)

Guest haigyman
My son did a computer program at school' date=' designed to help you with your career choice. After answering a heap of questions (seriously, not taking the piss) he was told that his best matches for a career were these........wigmaker, taxidermist or tattooist. Needless to say he's not totally confident that these are paths which he should follow![/quote']

i got "model-maker"

i am revising for my higher prelims at the mo, im taking physics (ok if you can understand it) english (akward but you have to get the hang of it and then its ok) art (fucking ace!) info systems (alot of strange words to get around but if you understand the terms then its not too bad) and psychology but i dunno if they do that at many other schools, a woman comes from college to do it, its ace though

good luck and all that jazz then and i hope you pick good ones

she was told she needs to do highers in all three science' date=' english and maths in order to become a dentist.[/quote']

As with medicine it depends on the Uni. Guidlines they'll say English, Maths and 2 out of Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

I got in with just 1 of the sciences (after taking the other 2 at higher) although I wish I'd taken another one in 5th year...

Depending on how you found the standard grades higher Chemistry can either be highly enjoyable or hell. I loved it... but then I made the mistake of doing advanced higher... hah.... not fun.

Physics is OK.

Human Biology is great.

English is evil, but necessary.

Maths is... ok if you have a good teacher and put your back into working and studying... I wouldn't have passed it otherwise...

Music is good fun and a doddle if you've done any theory.

French is also good provided you have a good teacher.

That's about it... I miss my higher year... I hated 6th year... wish I hadn't stayed on :(

My friend's wants to do medicine and he's been told he has to take Maths, English and the three sciences. I kinda suck at anything involving logic, so i'm doing English, History, Modern Studies, French and German at higher. Had a choice form thing out today. Aaaaaaaaaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with picking them, and good luck to all of you who're away to sit higher prelims.

My son did a computer program at school' date=' designed to help you with your career choice. After answering a heap of questions (seriously, not taking the piss) he was told that his best matches for a career were these........wigmaker, taxidermist or tattooist. Needless to say he's not totally confident that these are paths which he should follow![/quote']

i did a test similar to that

Best Job Match - UNDERTAKER

yup

:help:

If you want to do something like dentistry - you need maths, english and i'd recommend the three sciences....plus you have to show an extreme commitment to dentistry as its very difficult to get into.

I did the old Highers courses....Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and I loved them all - DON'T TAKE CHEMISTRY ANY HIGHER THOUGH - ITS DULL AFTER HIGHERS!

Don't rely too much on guidence or careers advisor - do your own homework. My careers advisor told me it was too difficult to get into medicine and my guidence teacher tried to convince me that i could get in with 4 highers....and they both decided I wasn't intelligent enough for medicine...if anyone tells you that you can't do what you want - fuck them and prove them wrong.

You just gotta strike a balance between wot u love doing and wot you're good at, don't let guidance teachers/parents push you into anything. by all means listen to them, but remember it's a choice that will affect wot u can do in the future, and you won't want to do something that won't make you happy.

christ, i think that may have been the most mature thing i've ever said. strange

If you want to do something like dentistry - you need maths' date=' english and i'd recommend the three sciences....plus you have to show an extreme commitment to dentistry as its very difficult to get into.

I did the old Highers courses....Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and I loved them all - DON'T TAKE CHEMISTRY ANY HIGHER THOUGH - ITS DULL AFTER HIGHERS!

Don't rely too much on guidence or careers advisor - do your own homework. My careers advisor told me it was too difficult to get into medicine and my guidence teacher tried to convince me that i could get in with 4 highers....and they both decided I wasn't intelligent enough for medicine...if anyone tells you that you can't do what you want - fuck them and prove them wrong.[/quote']

Yeh my Careers advisor was useless aswell. He didn't really give a lot of info on courses etc.

Thats the nicest thing anyones said to me all year.

Thank you

as for alex giving me orders...... well.

*runs and dies*

i wouldn't worry about taking orders from me, after all it is me, you're probably double my height, you could kick my ass :( ..so i sincerely doubt i'd bother you ;)

business management is the way forward! its fairly simple stuff but just quite a bit to remember. so glad i took it.

french is good- if you understand french. basically you need to be pretty fluent and have a really really good memory to pass. wish they told us that b4hand.

art is a lot of fun and if your good at it then wayhey! but don't fall behind and art history is shit.

if your still not sure about what you wanna do then don't worry! i think i'm gonna go into advertising but not really too sure. you still have plenty of time to decide!