aberdeen-music

I just had an arguement with the woman in the post office about freedom of speech...

Afro Droid

...Crazy madness!

I was in the Post Office in the Spar at the St Machar roundabout this morning, doing a batch of Radio Lucifer demo-posting. Now, when we send demos off to whoever, we're in the habit of decorating the envelopes with saucy or ambiguous headlines cut out of tabloid newspapers, along with the bands logo; example: "Radio Lucifer, naked cocaine sell-out." or "Radio Lucier: Sucked it off like lollipops." You get the idea. The point being that it distinguishes our demos from the 20 million that are posted about everyday.

The ol' busy-body in the post office did NOT like our artistic efforts at all, first of all I thought then was going to refuse to serve me, then told me she didn't think the recipients would open "offensive" material, and was just generally a rude, unhelpful, crazed harpie. I tried to explain that the slogans were cut out of newspapers, and therefore already in the public domain, anyone can walk into a shop and see headlines like "Internet Sex Pest's Drug Tory MP" (or whatever), all I've done is taken the phrases out of context. She gave me a funny look.

THEN I told her I wanted to send a couple of packages to America, this apparently necessitates filling in a form listing the contents of the package. FUCKING HELL! Metal frickin' Sludge better fucking review us after I was treated like a fucking terrorist in ABERDEEN.

Thoughts? Have RL over-stepped the mark in our efforts to get noticed; or, as I think, should we just say "fuck it" and do what we want?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have to fill out a customs form for anything, if you are sending stuff to the US, the lady in the post office wasn't making you do it cos she didn't like what you were sending....

it's a pain in the arse, but better take 5 mins to fill in a form than have your envelope destroyed by some ape man in the US customs.

Well' date=' at least you might be on the way to getting some of that publicity you were talking about! Granted I didn't think it would be the Spar Post Office that would start giving you hassle![/quote']

I can see the headlines now...

"Local Band courts controversy over posting of small, offensive packages!

Local Councillor Len Ironman is said to be outraged over the discovery, stating that after being excited by some of the suggestions on the packaging, he was exceedingly dissapointed by the actual contents."

Getting anything into the US of Ayyy is difficult now, thanks to a mad fundamentalist and 4 aeroplanes, 2 buildings, and a field in Pennsylvania. You need to have a full manifest of the contents, describing what they are and their monetary value. Otherwise, it will likely be incinerated when it gets into the US, just in case. Package? What package?

i send demos via pterodactyl.

heres a little bit about him.

This prehistoric animal was a flying reptile. When dinosaurs ruled on land, Pterodactyls ruled the skies. A Pterodactyl had some hollow bones, much like a bird's bones. But a Pterodactyl was not a bird, because all birds have feathers and a Pterodactyl had no feathers. It didn't fly like a bird either. Instead, it soared off cliffs or trees, then glided on warm air currents rising from land or water below.

He hands over the cdr then tells the recipient my email address in a polite manner, using an american accent.

Guest stuartmaxwell
i send demos via pterodactyl.

heres a little bit about him.

This prehistoric animal was a flying reptile. When dinosaurs ruled on land' date=' Pterodactyls ruled the skies. A Pterodactyl had some hollow bones, much like a bird's bones. But a Pterodactyl was not a bird, because all birds have feathers and a Pterodactyl had no feathers. It didn't fly like a bird either. Instead, it soared off cliffs or trees, then glided on warm air currents rising from land or water below.

He hands over the cdr then tells the recipient my email address in a polite manner, using an american accent.[/quote']

:laughing:

ha h a ha classic

indeed

but a bands music will always be judged on the music > nae the packaging or a whacky biog (cos actually thats what everyone does)

best demos Ive heard usually come in a cheapo white paper cover' date=' with a hand written biro email address

spunk

etc[/quote']

he's not saying the demo is gonna get judged on the packaging, just that the slogans will make the envelope stand out more than just a normal jiffy envelope, thus maybe helping them to get near the top of the unopened pile.

Craig Cuntkicker says: "Ram some metal in their asses mutherfuckers. If they don't like your shit' date=' haul some gear round to the post office, crank that fucker up and play so hard the fuckers look like they've got the Ebola virus. A true metal god takes shit from noone, especially some bitch."

Metal Fury![/quote']

I like the sound of that shit bad boy!!! Take nothing from no one! Go fuckin rock there asses off...turn the amps up so loud they break windows or some shit... or so when they are shouting at you to get down, you wont be able to hear them!

Have someone sitting at the back of the stage with a big barrell of grapefruit to launch at anyone who dare oppose your rocking! :band: YEH!

he's not saying the demo is gonna get judged on the packaging' date=' just that the slogans will make the envelope stand out more than just a normal jiffy envelope, thus maybe helping them to get near the top of the unopened pile.[/quote']

ok then

hope it works

but most people who are worth working with/for listen to all demos anyway

the ones that have huge piles of unopened ones are tossers and problee best avoided

just because something has been done before doesn't necessarily mean that it no-longer works. For example the 4-4-2 system has been used countless times before, but that does not mean it is no longer the best method. Also take for example shock advertising and catchy advert tunes, things may get old but they do not necessarily get useless...except people.

Guest stuartmaxwell

to advertise my gigs, i put together a cd of all the acts on the upcoming bill.

i wrap my sampler cds in newspaper and stick a flyer on it. im green :D

craig b of aereogramme thought it was brilliant.

ill get me coat...

Guest stuartmaxwell
Craig Cuntkicker says: "Ram some metal in their asses mutherfuckers. If they don't like your shit' date=' haul some gear round to the post office, crank that fucker up and play so hard the fuckers look like they've got the Ebola virus. A true metal god takes shit from noone, especially some bitch."

Metal Fury![/quote']

ha h ah aha ha

:laughing:

this thread is hillarious