aberdeen-music

Hogmanay = Anti-climax

El Gato

Is it me or is Hogmanay the most overrated, hyped up night of the year? I can't think of another night which is given so much attention for no good reason.

The best nights out are almost always the ones which happen spontaneously or when you least expect it. I think that's half the problem with Hogmanay. It gets built up so much that nobody wants to admit that maybe, just maybe, they aren't actually having that great a night after all. Days of preparation all to culminate in a lousy countdown to midnight followed by a shambolic rendition of Auld Lang Syne and of course everyone knows all the words to that past the first verse.... ahem.

The finest example of the Hogmanay fizzle was in 1999 when it was joined by an even greater hype - the millennium. Yes, this time the world was going to end as planes would fall out of the sky and computers would spontaneously and inadvertantly start WWIII. Except none of this happened. Still, nice countdown though...

Aye well, yes I am actually postin a reply. I think New Year (Hogmany ye bass!!) should be celebrated. If only for the sole reason that you have been able to see another year in. What other joy can you have apart from being alive?

On a more serious note blah blah blah, its a good time for the brewerys as well, so I guess everyone gets their cut. *ahem*

Is it me or is Hogmanay the most overrated' date=' hyped up night of the year? I can't think of another night which is given so much attention for no good reason.

The best nights out are almost always the ones which happen spontaneously or when you least expect it. I think that's half the problem with Hogmanay. It gets built up so much that nobody wants to admit that maybe, just maybe, they aren't actually having that great a night after all. Days of preparation all to culminate in a lousy countdown to midnight followed by a shambolic rendition of Auld Lang Syne and of course everyone knows all the words to that past the first verse.... ahem.

The finest example of the Hogmanay fizzle was in 1999 when it was joined by an even greater hype - the millennium. Yes, this time the world was going to end as planes would fall out of the sky and computers would spontaneously and inadvertantly start WWIII. Except none of this happened. Still, nice countdown though...[/quote']

Jeesus man, i'm upset that our cozy new year together this year is gonna be an anti-climax for you. i had a special bumlove related prize arranged for new years. :down:

Aye well' date=' yes I am actually postin a reply. I think New Year (Hogmany ye bass!!) should be celebrated. If only for the sole reason that you have been able to see another year in. What other joy can you have apart from being alive?

On a more serious note blah blah blah, its a good time for the brewerys as well, so I guess everyone gets their cut. *ahem*[/quote']

Al:B's one and only post. Treasure it well.

(Hogmany ye bass!!)

No he was right, it's Hogmanay.

The last time I had a good Hogmanay was when I just stayed in playing Tomb Raider and pretty much ignored the whole thing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do that sort of thing for several years now (I coudl but I don't want my mates thinking I'm a cock). I would much rather just sit in and play guitar or watch a DVD or something, but no, I'll be dragged off to Edinburgh (because it's SOOOOOO much better there :rolleyes: ) to just get pished as usual. And the chances of getting them to go to Opium are slim.

Saying that, the best parts of any Hogmanay have been the house parties. Otherwise it might as well just be another night out on the pish.

have to admit that last new year was the worst new year ever... and they just seem to get worse every year! so i ain't holding much hopes for this one

the only other hyped up bollocks day of the year is fuckin xmas day. honestly, its the most boring day of the fuckin calendar year. get up way too early, open gifts which you know you'll probably never use(appart from the 7 pairs of socks santa left you... again), have dinner, have to speak to people/family which you try to avoid for the entire year, drink with your close family..... then, you go out and people ask you what you got for xmas!!!! RAR!!! i fuckin hate it!!! i used to like xmas but fuck it. this year i was planning on having a steak, watching DVD's, wanking, drinking and getting high.... but mum and dad insist that i go to their house for dinner

fuck shit bastard

that is all

:gringo:

have to admit that last new year was the worst new year ever... and they just seem to get worse every year! so i ain't holding much hopes for this one

the only other hyped up bollocks day of the year is fuckin xmas day. honestly' date=' its the most boring day of the fuckin calendar year. get up way too early, open gifts which you know you'll probably never use(appart from the 7 pairs of socks santa left you... again), have dinner, have to speak to people/family which you try to avoid for the entire year, drink with your close family..... then, you go out and people ask you what you got for xmas!!!! RAR!!! i fuckin hate it!!! i used to like xmas but fuck it. this year i was planning on having a steak, watching DVD's, wanking, drinking and getting high.... but mum and dad insist that i go to their house for dinner

fuck shit bastard

that is all

:gringo:[/quote']

you fucking legend. my thoughts exactly.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Hogmanay's well over-rated. El Gato is right, the best nights out are the ones that just happen, and just happen to involve plenty of delicious cider. House party? That sounds unbearable, the thought of having a load of folk in my flat turns my stomach. Making mess, pawing my noise collection, aarrgghh! Leave me alone, if I want to see people it'll be in the public domain, my flat is my little rathole I can slither into and hide from mankind. Drawbridge up, portcullis down.