aberdeen-music

Should we eat Meat?

Birdman

I've always been a big believer that eating meat is entirely natural.

Evidence wise, the human digestive system is designed to eat meat, we have canine teeth - a sign of a carnivour, we have eaten meat our entire history and a large majority of people who stop eating meat struggle with various health problems.

In my opinion people can and should eat any meat they choose, but only anything they are willing to kill themselves. I must admit I'm not fond of meat eaters who just close their eyes and try not to think about where it comes from.

And frankly, if I didn't eat meat I'd be dead as I don't eat a single vegetable and it would be impossible to survive on bread and dairy based products alone.

Oh heres another interesting point - what do you think would happen to the domestic cow if people stopped eating meat? They wouldn't be 'set free' or any such nonsense - they'd simply stop existing as we would have no further use from them apart from a couple for show.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so because it tastes good we should ignore the cruel treatment in the raising and slaughter of animals?

We shouldnt ignore it but face reality there aint a damm thing you or anyone else can do about it, us humans are greedy bastards. We love our meat too much 2 stop eating it, at least in our lifetime anyway.

Besides, the "cruel" treatment of animals? My parents rear lambs and the little buggers seem happy to me*

*asides from the occasional torture with blades :up:

Do we crave the hunt - to stalk and kill our prey? Non human animals must do so if they are to survive. Our survival does not demand this.

i really don't think any animal 'craves' the hunt. do you think a cheetah in the plains of africa who only eats once every few days actually craves using it's precious energy to chase gazelles round the place? if other meat eating animals could get their food with no effort they would. like lions and hyena's who have a habit of bullying smaller carnivores out of their prey. yea they have to do what they can to survive but to suggest they actually enjoy and look forward to hunting is ludicrous, they look forward to eating at the end of it if succesfull. you also have to remember that most hunts are unsuccesfull.

i eat meat because i enjoy the taste and it's easier to eat meat. i have tried being a vegetarian before but wasn't particularly successful. i applaud anyone who is a vegetarian and particularly a vegan and who can stick at it, fair play to them but at the moment i can't do it. i do try and consider how animals have been treated and in an ideal world they'd be the best treated animals in the whole damn world before they're necks are broken but alas it's difficult to ensure. i don't eat in mcdonalds, kfc or burger king anywhere near as much as i used to and in fact could probably say i've given them up(though who knows how long for) but i have no idea where subway get their ingredients from but still enjoy a meat sandwhich from there.

lifes hard enough as it is without making it tougher for myself just now, i'll have my bacon sandwhich but i won't enjoy it(much). :)

Each to their own I say. Just remember, humans are as much part of nature as any other animal and as someone said we're omnivores designed to eat meat and some but not all fruit and veg. Try eating grass and see where it gets you if you don't believe me.

It is of course unnacceptable to inflict unecesary cruelty on our prey. (I buy free range organic, fair trade meat)

But humans have a habit of grafting sentimental, anthromorphic characteristics onto animals, who all eat each other without mercy. This just leads to terrorist wankers like those attacking that guinea pig farm and anyone who lives near it.

Just for the record. The reason there are still in vivo (animal) experiments is because the law demands it for medical treatments. Cosmetic testing has been banned for years as have ape experiments. And don't tell me botox is cosmetic like the apologists for terror, botox is a medical treatment for nerve pain, it just happens to have a side effect on wrinkles. Leave the twisting the of the truth to those defending the indefensible. The activist/thugs should target the government who makes the law, but then it's all about hurting people and not saving animals.

I believe it is quite possible to develop drugs without animal experiments but the law forbids it.

Enviromentalists should also consider the negative effects of the production of faux fur products, made from petrochemicals,ie oil, a non renewable assett. Real fur, farmed non endangered, is natural, renewable and lasts for life and does no harm to the planet. Can't have it both ways, chaps. Save the planet or save the mink.

Interestingly, I ride a motorbike and wear leather to do so. I'm a six foot, two rugby player and no activist/thug has ever tried to spray my leathers red, unlike what the brave eco warriors do to a size six woman.

To the girl with the iron deficiancy-drink a glass of orange juice or eat a satsuma with your suplement as vit C increases the absorption of iron to the blood thus no more anaemia.

And to the dude who believes that without meat you will die- you are probably gonna die anyway if you eat no vegetables as there is little nutritional value in meat other than fats and proteins. Just goddamn eat your five portions a day.

And to those who believe that humans were designed to eat meat and need it as part of a healthy lifestyle- look at the diets of those from the mediterranean- a diet which is virtually meat free but hight in vegetables,fruits, starchy carbs and modest in olive oil- these are the healthiest people in the world. They have very low morbidity(that''s illnesses like cancer and coronary heart disease)

yes i am a health student and a hard core vegetarian...

Guest allsystemsfail
yes. meat is so good. i fucking can't stand the stupid vegitarians who are like "eurgh don't eat meat save the cows" and try to make you feel guilty for eating a burger. eurgh i hate them. along with stupid feminists. but thats totally different. i mean stupid vegetarians- its not like i go around trying to force them to eat meat so why do they try to stop me from doing it? i'm not injuring anyone. and that arguement "how would you like it if u were that chicken?" well chances are i'm never gonna BE that chciken so why do i fricking care. how do we even know if chickens have fucking feelings? GOD those vegitarians annoy the shit out of me.

It was never my intention to force my beliefs upon others, but simply to alert then to the suffering of farmed animals. As I said, I ain't got a problem with those who do eat meat. That is their choice.

Regarding injury - by eating meat you are indeed complicit in the suffering of others.

And stupid feminists? You do not believe gender equality correct?

Guest allsystemsfail
I've always been a big believer that eating meat is entirely natural.

Evidence wise' date=' the human digestive system is designed to eat meat, we have canine teeth - a sign of a carnivour, we have eaten meat our entire history and a large majority of people who stop eating meat struggle with various health problems.

In my opinion people can and should eat any meat they choose, but only anything they are willing to kill themselves. I must admit I'm not fond of meat eaters who just close their eyes and try not to think about where it comes from.

And frankly, if I didn't eat meat I'd be dead as I don't eat a single vegetable and it would be impossible to survive on bread and dairy based products alone.

Oh heres another interesting point - what do you think would happen to the domestic cow if people stopped eating meat? They wouldn't be 'set free' or any such nonsense - they'd simply stop existing as we would have no further use from them apart from a couple for show.[/quote']

I'm sorry, but those who choose not to eat meat encounter no health problems. As I stated earlier, I have not eaten meat for now 22 years. I am in perfect health. I know of no other vegetarians/vegans who as a result have become ill. Medical evidence has shown that a vegetarian/vegan diet can be beneficial to health. However, the eating of meat (and other animal products) can cause a great many problems - heart disease and several forms of cancer.

And yes I agree, most farmed animals would indeed not have been given life were they not reared for food. They would however not endure often extreme suffering.

Guest allsystemsfail
We shouldnt ignore it but face reality there aint a damm thing you or anyone else can do about it' date=' us humans are greedy bastards. We love our meat too much 2 stop eating it, at least in our lifetime anyway.

Besides, the "cruel" treatment of animals? My parents rear lambs and the little buggers seem happy to me*

*asides from the occasional torture with blades :up:[/quote']

There ain't nothing we can do about it? What utter nonsense. We can choose not to support such suffering by abstaining from the eating of animal flesh. We can protest these cruel practices. Sure, ain't nothin gonna change if we just sit on our ass.

And the cruel treatment of animals is not fantasy, but fact.

*chooses to ignore final comment*

Guest allsystemsfail
i really don't think any animal 'craves' the hunt. do you think a cheetah in the plains of africa who only eats once every few days actually craves using it's precious energy to chase gazelles round the place? if other meat eating animals could get their food with no effort they would. like lions and hyena's who have a habit of bullying smaller carnivores out of their prey. yea they have to do what they can to survive but to suggest they actually enjoy and look forward to hunting is ludicrous' date=' they look forward to eating at the end of it if succesfull. you also have to remember that most hunts are unsuccesfull.

i eat meat because i enjoy the taste and it's easier to eat meat. i have tried being a vegetarian before but wasn't particularly successful. i applaud anyone who is a vegetarian and particularly a vegan and who can stick at it, fair play to them but at the moment i can't do it. i do try and consider how animals have been treated and in an ideal world they'd be the best treated animals in the whole damn world before they're necks are broken but alas it's difficult to ensure. i don't eat in mcdonalds, kfc or burger king anywhere near as much as i used to and in fact could probably say i've given them up(though who knows how long for) but i have no idea where subway get their ingredients from but still enjoy a meat sandwhich from there.

lifes hard enough as it is without making it tougher for myself just now, i'll have my bacon sandwhich but i won't enjoy it(much). :)[/quote']

Regarding the killing of animals by predatory animals, I said nothing of enjoyment, but instinct. They obey their predatory instinct - to stalk and kill, to find food by other means. As I said, to compare the eating habits of humans with that of say a lion is utterly ridiculous.

Also, becoming vegetarian/vegan involves no greater difficulty. And I speak from experience.

Guest allsystemsfail
Each to their own I say. Just remember' date=' humans are as much part of nature as any other animal and as someone said we're omnivores designed to eat meat and some but not all fruit and veg. Try eating grass and see where it gets you if you don't believe me.

It is of course unnacceptable to inflict unecesary cruelty on our prey. (I buy free range organic, fair trade meat)

But humans have a habit of grafting sentimental, anthromorphic characteristics onto animals, who all eat each other without mercy. This just leads to terrorist wankers like those attacking that guinea pig farm and anyone who lives near it.

Just for the record. The reason there are still in vivo (animal) experiments is because the law demands it for medical treatments. Cosmetic testing has been banned for years as have ape experiments. And don't tell me botox is cosmetic like the apologists for terror, botox is a medical treatment for nerve pain, it just happens to have a side effect on wrinkles. Leave the twisting the of the truth to those defending the indefensible. The activist/thugs should target the government who makes the law, but then it's all about hurting people and not saving animals.

I believe it is quite possible to develop drugs without animal experiments but the law forbids it.

Enviromentalists should also consider the negative effects of the production of faux fur products, made from petrochemicals,ie oil, a non renewable assett. Real fur, farmed non endangered, is natural, renewable and lasts for life and does no harm to the planet. Can't have it both ways, chaps. Save the planet or save the mink.

Interestingly, I ride a motorbike and wear leather to do so. I'm a six foot, two rugby player and no activist/thug has ever tried to spray my leathers red, unlike what the brave eco warriors do to a size six woman.[/quote']

Those who seek animal liberation (as I do) do not consider animals in anthropomorphic terms. Also, while I have some difficulty with the activities of some, and under no circumstances condone the infliction of harm, I do understand their frustration, their compassion. But terrorists? Not at all.

Primate experiments under current legislation are indeed permitted. I suggest you look again.

Vivisection is bad science. Many oppose it not on the grounds of animal suffering, but on the basis that it is an obstacle to progress in understanding and treating human disease. Such experiments tell us not about how a human may react to a given drug, but about how the animal test subjects will react.Many drugs proven beneficial to human health are harmful to animals. The reverse is of course also true.

I agree that the production of faux fur will indeed cause some damage to the environment. However, I would not encourage the wearing of such garments.

The farming of fur bearing animals natural? What nonsense. You believe keeping a still wild creature in a cramped environment and without access to water in which to swim natural? The present government, as much as I despise them, were correct in prohibiting the farming of mink, and did so on basis of the evidence proving the animal's cruel treatment.

And what's with this activist thug nonsense?

Regarding injury - by eating meat you are indeed complicit in the suffering of others.

And stupid feminists? You do not believe gender equality correct?

yeah but do animals have feelings and emotions? any way to prove it. simply tehy look happy doesn't really count. in the suffering of others- the animals are only bred to be eaten- their sole purpose in life is to feed us! if we didnt eat meat then they probs wouldn't be bred so they wouldn't even exist. they should be thanking us! its not like food companies go out in the wild and shoot any fucking random cow they see. the cows are bred especially to be eaten.

oh feminists! yeah ok equal rights and all that but god they take it too far like "no i wont cook thats setting women back hundreds of years" yadda yadda yadda "i am my own woman i don't need a man for anything" blah blah blah yeah in other words your a lezzer. god just accept society " i am woman hear me roar" yeah fuck off!

Regarding the killing of animals by predatory animals' date=' I said nothing of enjoyment, but instinct. They obey their predatory instinct - to stalk and kill, to find food by other means. As I said, to compare the eating habits of humans with that of say a lion is utterly ridiculous.

Also, becoming vegetarian/vegan involves no greater difficulty. And I speak from experience.[/quote']

but you did compare the eating habits of humans to predatory animals. and you said that animals craved the hunt. my point was that they crave the food at the end of the hunt and not the hunt itself as you had said and which was a comment i myself found to be ridiculous.

just cause you speak from experience does not make it fact, it just means you found it relatively easy to make the transition. i on the other hand would require a complete lifestyle change to go vegan not to mention have to learn a wealth of new skills in the kitchen pretty quick. preparing a large and fulfilling vegan meal is unfortunately a lot more complicated than buying a birdseye chicken chargrill and whacking it in the oven with some chips.