aberdeen-music

MMW interview

Dan G

Moshulu gigs we've played...

Retract The Thorn 2 - I booked and promoted it.

Fudge Night - We were asked

MMw EP Launch

Douglas - I was asked to promote it

Dead-On All-Dayer - We were asked

Johnny Truant - Cant really remember

Hiding With Girls - We were asked.

The only gig I've really pushed for at Moshulu was Bleeding Through' date=' which we'll be playing when it's rescheduled. I also enquired about The Bled/Alexisonfire, but there's no local support. People seem to not realise that if you dont ask, you dont get. But, for the record, if Ross thought we sucked, then, unless it was desperate circumstances, then we wouldn't get gigs at Moshulu.

Again, Stuart, the offer for gig entry is still on the table.

For anyone interested...

[url']www.purevolume.com/mymindsweapon

Please just let this go and leave us alone unless you're actually interested.

MMw @ Kef, Halloween, 4...PM for tickets..

Fair enough man, I was just wondering the levels of requests.

[LATE NIGHT LOGIC=on] In my opinion it seems a bit strange to name drop bands that you've played with when you've requested the show [/LATE NIGHT LOGIC], but maybe thats just me.

Ah the things you think when you've had a few drinks down your throat and stumble across things.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the most pathetic thread i've ever read

i just wasted half an hour of my lunch break reading this pish

well done to MMW for being asked to do an interview by an American site......

although i don't think it was the best interview i've ever read i still think its cool for them to have been asked. And they have just made all of you look stupid by talking about them more than any other band on the forum and they dont have their bloody own forum any more.

Most of which was total garbage anyway, but still well done

[LATE NIGHT LOGIC=on] In my opinion it seems a bit strange to name drop bands that you've played with when you've requested the show [/LATE NIGHT LOGIC]

I hope you realise how silly that is in the morning. It doesn't matter how you get the gig, whether you were asked or you requested it. Many bands that go on tour with big name acts are only on the tour because their label is "paying" for them to be on tour. Yes, PAYING. Yet, they still say "toured with Blink 182" or whatever. It'd be a bit silly to miss it out, no?

Anyway, that's not what we're talking about, we're talking about MMw saying "Ross, we'd be interested in that support if it were available" and Ross saying "Yeah, you'd be good for that one." If you want to play with a certain band why leave it to chance? How is the promoter supposed to know that you want it? He may call you, he may call someone else, someone who doesn't really care much but will do it as a gig. Does that seem sensible to you?

No no no.

You GO for what you want because in music nothing is handed to you.

Guest stuartmaxwell
I hope you realise how silly that is in the morning. It doesn't matter how you get the gig' date=' whether you were asked or you requested it. Many bands that go on tour with big name acts are only on the tour because their label is "paying" for them to be on tour. Yes, PAYING. Yet, they still say "toured with Blink 182" or whatever. It'd be a bit silly to miss it out, no?

Anyway, that's not what we're talking about, we're talking about MMw saying "Ross, we'd be interested in that support if it were available" and Ross saying "Yeah, you'd be good for that one." If you want to play with a certain band why leave it to chance? How is the promoter supposed to know that you want it? He may call you, he may call someone else, someone who doesn't really care much but will do it as a gig. Does that seem sensible to you?

No no no.

You GO for what you want because in music nothing is handed to you.[/quote']

true indeed

i dont agree with you much but you have spoken a bit of sense recently :up:

ben wanted to say this:

We post that we have been interviewed and this happens.You have flattered me. Really..its awesome. You go on about how im so arrogant and self important' date=' well is there any wonder why, if indeed i was? This is enough to swell the head of the most modest person. Seven pages! I think in MOST cases, this is what gets up peoples noses. I have to thank most of you all because this has yet again made us easily the most talked about band on this website. You know the amount of people we have had coming to see us who have said "we came to see what all the fuss was about?" Quite a few come back again and again because they like the band so you rule. Keep talking your shit. keep our numbers at shows up, keep our cd sales up. Thanks you guys. You are like the best fans we could have in way. My Minds Weapon: the band that turns hate into a positive.

Ben x[/quote']

Well it would appear that I was wrong in stating that the interview made you look arrogant, it would appear you really are that arrogant. There is no way I would go and see a band who have someone like you in them, it sounds like the last thing you need is anyone stoking your ego. Maybe you are the most talked about, but an awful lot of it negative and maybe you should try and be a bit more of a normal guy instead of playing arrogant rockstar. Remember being the most talked about band in the forum doesn't say much, I mean the Spice Girls were the most talked about band in their time, and it didn't mean they had the talent to back it up. All I can say is come back with this attitude when you've achieved something. No offense but an interview on a small US website that most people have never heard of doesn't make you a rock star, where's the local press ? Where's the National press, where's the big tours ? As I said this is part of what I was getting at, come with the ego when you've achieved something - You are not the biggest band in Aberdeen, you have not played to the biggest crowds and you have not sold the most cds, so where does this attitude come from ? The sad thing is the other guys from the band appear to be really nice and reasonable, they take the points and don't feel the need to come across as an arrogant kid, maybe you should take a leaf out of the rest of the bands book, and maybe you should see that a lot of the negativitiy surrounding your band (from what I've seen from this thread) is to do with your attitude.

I hope the band does well, but you need to pull your ego into check and maybe when you've actually done something of note people will take you seriously when you act like that. Playing to a few hundred people at Moshulu doesn't make you a rock star.

Cheers

Stuart

Well it would appear that I was wrong in stating that the interview made you look arrogant' date=' it would appear you really are that arrogant. There is no way I would go and see a band who have someone like you in them, it sounds like the last thing you need is anyone stoking your ego. Maybe you are the most talked about, but an awful lot of it negative and maybe you should try and be a bit more of a normal guy instead of playing arrogant rockstar. Remember being the most talked about band in the forum doesn't say much, I mean the Spice Girls were the most talked about band in their time, and it didn't mean they had the talent to back it up. All I can say is come back with this attitude when you've achieved something. No offense but an interview on a small US website that most people have never heard of doesn't make you a rock star, where's the local press ? Where's the National press, where's the big tours ? As I said this is part of what I was getting at, come with the ego when you've achieved something - You are not the biggest band in Aberdeen, you have not played to the biggest crowds and you have not sold the most cds, so where does this attitude come from ? The sad thing is the other guys from the band appear to be really nice and reasonable, they take the points and don't feel the need to come across as an arrogant kid, maybe you should take a leaf out of the rest of the bands book, and maybe you should see that a lot of the negativitiy surrounding your band (from what I've seen from this thread) is to do with your attitude.

I hope the band does well, but you need to pull your ego into check and maybe when you've actually done something of note people will take you seriously when you act like that. Playing to a few hundred people at Moshulu doesn't make you a rock star.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I don't see what was arrogant about his post though. It was more of a two fingered salute than anything. He's obstreperous, but hardly arrogant.

He's not "displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance" he's saying "thanks for giving us an overbearing worth and importance".

you look arrogant' date=' it would appear you really are that arrogant.

Stuart[/quote']

For god's sake Stuart what the fuck are you talking about?

Posts on message boards do about as much to reveal someones true character as a web interview or in depth interview in the music press....in other words its all a crock of shit.

You my friend come over on these boards as a self righteous prat, but having met you I know thats not the truth, I have made many enemies over the years because of my somewhat heavy handed approach to message boards and Im the sweetest guy you could ever meet.... :up:

I have an advantage over you, I know Ben....quite well I believe and have found him to be an intensely passionate individual who's love for the music he plays and loyalty for his band mates (and fans) is an inspiration and I feel his enthusiasm and determined will to succeed can make him appear arrogant....And anyway, since when has arrogance been a turn off for you?....Fish is the most arrogant bastards I have ever met and he didn't wait for success to get like that!!

Please don't judge people on their message board persona....and please don't lecture on how to be interviewed....if all interviews are the same who the fuck will read them ? not me!

Well it would appear that I was wrong in stating that the interview made you look arrogant' date=' it would appear you really are that arrogant. There is no way I would go and see a band who have someone like you in them, it sounds like the last thing you need is anyone stoking your ego. Maybe you are the most talked about, but an awful lot of it negative and maybe you should try and be a bit more of a normal guy instead of playing arrogant rockstar. Remember being the most talked about band in the forum doesn't say much, I mean the Spice Girls were the most talked about band in their time, and it didn't mean they had the talent to back it up. All I can say is come back with this attitude when you've achieved something. No offense but an interview on a small US website that most people have never heard of doesn't make you a rock star, where's the local press ? Where's the National press, where's the big tours ? As I said this is part of what I was getting at, come with the ego when you've achieved something - You are not the biggest band in Aberdeen, you have not played to the biggest crowds and you have not sold the most cds, so where does this attitude come from ? The sad thing is the other guys from the band appear to be really nice and reasonable, they take the points and don't feel the need to come across as an arrogant kid, maybe you should take a leaf out of the rest of the bands book, and maybe you should see that a lot of the negativitiy surrounding your band (from what I've seen from this thread) is to do with your attitude.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

You really do appear to be the most boring human being to be gifted with internet access..Every one of your posts I've read most of and seemed to lose whatever point you're vaguely stabbing at. Please everyone, just stop posting about this, it's really very dull.

Mistake noted: Don't post anything on aberdeen-music about music, for you'll get e-raped by morons who have absolutely no idea what they're trying to insult you about anyway.

Oh and, musn't forget

Cheers

Alex.

Posts on message boards do about as much to reveal someones true character as a web interview or in depth interview in the music press....in other words its all a crock of shit.

You my friend come over on these boards as a self righteous prat' date=' but having met you I know thats not the truth, I have made many enemies over the years because of my somewhat heavy handed approach to message boards and Im the sweetest guy you could ever meet.... :up:

I have an advantage over you, I know Ben....quite well I believe and have found him to be an intensely passionate individual who's love for the music he plays and loyalty for his band mates (and fans) is an inspiration and I feel his enthusiasm and determined will to succeed can make him appear arrogant....And anyway, since when has arrogance been a turn off for you?....Fish is the most arrogant bastards I have ever met and he didn't wait for success to get like that!!

Please don't judge people on their message board persona....and please don't lecture on how to be interviewed....if all interviews are the same who the fuck will read them ? not me![/quote']

I'm not judging him as a person on what he's said, I'm judging the attitude that he was portraying on this interview, and then backed up by the comment. When I first commented it was primarily as a way of stating that knowing nothing about the band and coming in as an outsider then the interview put me off from finding out anything else about the band, this was something that I felt made sense to mention purely because if it has that effect on me then the chances are it will have that effect on others. It was never meant as a go at anyone, much more as the perception that came across, I know how difficult interviews can be to get right but thats why you should always check them carefully etc for mistakes (the 2000) thing, and if possible get a few neutral people to read it if you're emailing it off so you can come across well.

All interviews should be different but you should still try and come across the best you can, you're selling a product, whether its a CD or the band itself. You can be interviewed any way you want but to make the most of it you should try to come across the best you can. If you're on the phone trying to sell someone a product you don't start swearing and saying the kind of things that were said in the interview tho I will follow that that analogy makes the cliche's comments irrelevant ;)

You should also know I don't really care how I come across in these messageboards :p Self righteous, maybe, but also just trying to help them out. I wouldn't judge anyone as a person based on their internet persona, but people will base their opinions on MMW based on what they have available which may well be just that interview, hence the comments.

And yep Fish is indeed one of the most arrogant people on the planet and its the thing I dislike the most about him. I do think you need to be arrogant when on stage etc, its part of the persona but i think its something you also need to be able to turn off at the end of the show, sadly its something a lot of performers can't do. There's little doubt that arrogance is important in being a good showman, but I'd argue that being a good musician means you can turn it off, and yep its something Fish has a real problem with a lot of the time - you won't get any arguement off me on that, and I don't generally judge him on it, but it has put me off going to see him live before, his attitude was one of the reasons i couldn't be bothered to go and see him last year several times when i would have normally went. The same thing has happened with this.

Cheers

Stuart

You my friend come over on these boards as a self righteous prat' date=' but having met you I know thats not the truth, I have made many enemies over the years because of my somewhat heavy handed approach to message boards and Im the sweetest guy you could ever meet.... :up:

Please don't judge people on their message board persona....and please don't lecture on how to be interviewed....if all interviews are the same who the fuck will read them ? not me![/quote']

Fucking good point there.

I think a lot of people would do good to be as passionate about their band as weapon are, and hey you guys although you think your taking them down a peg or two, all you are doing is pushing them to do even better (not that they need it like). Their is nothing wrong with having a bit of confidence in your band and believing that what you do is something special, im sure almost every person who is involved in music at any level has a that belief to some extent. Yet Weapon get slated for it. To me it seems like even if they had done it differently there would of still been these sad little people who want to take shots at weapon coming out and saying shit. You guys need to leave it. Weapon are here to stay whether you like it or not so get over it, they are a extremely taleneted group of guys who piss on most of the bands in aberdeen.

You really do appear to be the most boring human being to be gifted with internet access..Every one of your posts I've read most of and seemed to lose whatever point you're vaguely stabbing at. Please everyone' date=' just stop posting about this, it's really very dull.

Mistake noted: Don't post anything on aberdeen-music about music, for you'll get e-raped by morons who have absolutely no idea what they're trying to insult you about anyway.

Oh and, musn't forget

Cheers

Alex.[/quote']

I thought i'd put my points across quite well, next time I'll do in 3 syllables or less. None of what i said was actually meant to be insulting until Ben's post where I thought he came across very badly yet again and said so. The thread had stopped before Ben came on asking people to keep posting anyway ;)

Interestingly none of this was about music if you look, I haven't heard your music, I don't know you, it was about the perception of you as a band i gained from one interview. There's a big difference.

All you've done tho is make sure I never will hear you as a band, which i'm sure is no great loss to either of us.

Cheers

Stuart

At the end of the day though, bands from Aberdeen aren't generally interviewed all that much. The last one I did was in February and the webzine died soon after.

Luckily, I cut and pasted it into a file for saving so when the site died I stuck it up on ours.

It's here

I don't understand why you wouldn't see a band because you thought they came across as wankers on a board or in an interview though.

If the musics good then the sort of people they are is irrelevant no? in fact I think I prefer my rockstars to be hard drinking, womanising, swearing, rude and downright arrogant.

Beats a nice woolly jumper and a cup of cocoa before bed anytime

As Ben rightly said the amount of free publicity threads like this generate for the band is a total bonus!!! As they say-no publicity is bad publicity. I do think it's funny though that people have such a hatred for a band that themselves generate a fair bit of publicity for the aberdeen scene in general.

:up:

I thought i'd put my points across quite well' date=' next time I'll do in 3 syllables or less. None of what i said was actually meant to be insulting until Ben's post where I thought he came across very badly yet again and said so. The thread had stopped before Ben came on asking people to keep posting anyway ;)

Interestingly none of this was about music if you look, I haven't heard your music, I don't know you, it was about the perception of you as a band i gained from one interview. There's a big difference.

All you've done tho is make sure I never will hear you as a band, which i'm sure is no great loss to either of us.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

you can use words of 3 syllables if you want, it'll be difficult for you to keep so rooted on the your high-horse and continue the stunning display of how to be a pretentious wanker, i really am taking a hefty amount of notes here.

this whole thread is about an interview about music by a musician and with questions posed by a music fan, posted on an american music website, discussed on a music forum, by someone in the music "business" as you claim to be.

hows about...you stop posting about something you - by your own admission - know nothing about? you may have read many interviews, so have i...i don't have the anal-nature or the time or the desire to pick it apart and make a fuss about it, again, resorting to playground tactics, but grow up for god's sake.

not about music at all...nope.

you can use words of 3 syllables if you want' date=' it'll be difficult for you to keep so rooted on the your high-horse and continue the stunning display of how to be a pretentious wanker, i really am taking a hefty amount of notes here.

this whole thread is about an interview about music by a musician and with questions posed by a music fan, posted on an american music website, discussed on a music forum, by someone in the music "business" as you claim to be.

hows about...you stop posting about something you - by your own admission - know nothing about? you may have read many interviews, so have i...i don't have the anal-nature or the time or the desire to pick it apart and make a fuss about it, again, resorting to playground tactics, but grow up for god's sake.

not about music at all...nope.[/quote']

Its good to see you are taking notes on how to be as pretentious as me, maybe one day you will achieve your goal ;)

Before you accuse me of playground tactics, I was asked to take the interview apart and commented on what I thought was wrong with it, it's not something I would normally have spent my time on.

I would have made the same comments if we were on a cheese website discussing cheese with a cheesemonger, and they'd come across that way, it isn't to do with music persay.

I don't know anything about MMW but I do know about how you were perceived by someone who didn't know anything about you, hence my comment.

As for me "claiming" to be in the music business, you don't know what I do so it would be difficult for you to comment on it - anyway I'm not a full time music person, I am a full time designer and marketing/PR person so I do know something about controlling the way your produc and image comes out. That was the point I was trying to make and I apologise if I didn't cover it well.

Cheers

Stuart

I don't understand why you wouldn't see a band because you thought they came across as wankers on a board or in an interview though.

If the musics good then the sort of people they are is irrelevant no? in fact I think I prefer my rockstars to be hard drinking' date=' womanising, swearing, rude and downright arrogant.

Beats a nice woolly jumper and a cup of cocoa before bed anytime[/quote']

It's a personal thing, I'm not sure why, it may well be a case off cutting off my nose to spite my face in missing bands etc because of their attitude but it's part of what I feel about it - but I concede I have probably missed out on liking a lot of bands I might musically have liked becasue they don't fit in with my idea of what they should be which is definitely my failing and not theirs.

I actually think this probably comes from when I was a music journalist and met a lot of extremely arrogant people and after meeting them and disliking them I foiund it difficult to see their music in the same way. On the other side I have actually ended up liking music because I've met the people and found them to be really nice guys, in a lot of cases this would be music I probably wouldn't have listened to usually.

It's a personal thind I guess and I would imagine it's quite unusual but I've been that way for a few years now.

Cheers

Stuart

As Ben rightly said the amount of free publicity threads like this generate for the band is a total bonus!!! As they say-no publicity is bad publicity. I do think it's funny though that people have such a hatred for a band that themselves generate a fair bit of publicity for the aberdeen scene in general.

:up:

The thing is I haven't seen that much hatred for the band persay - at least not on this thread, in fact I admire the way the fans have come to the defense, I just wish they'd been nicer about it :) The band obviously have a following and thats a good thing and will hopefully take them on further, there's certainly nothing bad about any act getting out of Aberdeen. It's true no publicity is bad publicity though I would imagine most people on this board know and have their opinion of MMW already.

Hopefully any band playing gigs and getting noticed outside of Aberdeen will bring attention to the rest of the scene and people will benefit.

Cheers

stuart

If the musics good then the sort of people they are is irrelevant no? in fact I think I prefer my rockstars to be hard drinking' date=' womanising, swearing, rude and downright arrogant.

Beats a nice woolly jumper and a cup of cocoa before bed anytime[/quote']

worked for coldplay though hasn't it? :laughing: