aberdeen-music

MMW interview

Dan G

geek-gordon.jpg

"i want to work in a record shop and play in a rock band when i'm older!"

the girl behind looks on unimpressed. dave was never a hit with the ladies when he was at school.

i think that guy looks more like that tv tanned guy who i remember dan atom also had many classic arguments with in the past, good to see dan atom back on the boards by the way! :up:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry' date=' but what's all the fuss about? It's not a great interview by any stretch of the imagination, but if it gets MMW a few people inquiring about them across the pond then good for them... Nice to see a local band thinking of the larger world out there.

Did it [i']really deserve all that flak?

maybe the reason they were gettin flak is because ppl are jealous that MMw maybe have a chance to go somewhere and are activly pursuing it...but maybe im wrong..

maybe the reason they were gettin flak is because ppl are jealous that MMw maybe have a chance to go somewhere and are activly pursuing it...but maybe im wrong..

In my case you're definitely wrong, the bands/singers that I'm involved with are doing very nicely thank you, maybe people just genuinely don't like the tone of the interview.

Cheers

Stuart

i don't think there's any jealousy at all, good luck and fair play to them if they ever do get opportunities to get themselves more recognition, i just think some people think the interview is a tad bombastic with all the bravado and macho posturing going on and although i don't what tact this Ben person took to the questions given but his answers don't seem to be natural responses, it seems he's trying to over-egg the pudding a bit so to speak, i think hyping your music up or publicising yourself only works if you can back up the arrogance and cockiness with talent and consistency and i fear this is perhaps what some of the people responding to this thread are probably getting at ;)

fucking hell-it was only an interview-is there really anything wrong about being enthusiastic about yuor band and the music you make?all i saw from it was a band who are clearly really enjoying themselves at the moment.what's the problem?

bloody hell guys.:(

Well said.

It wasn't the most endearing interview ever but at least it didn't reek of pretentiousness. *sp?*

I don't see why MMw are getting so much stick. It's been mentioned a million times but I really think it's a personal crusade against the personalities involved, not their music.

Which is saddening.

Their ain't nothing better than watching Al get his funk on. :up:

Well said.

It wasn't the most endearing interview ever but at least it didn't reek of pretentiousness. *sp?*

I don't see why MMw are getting so much stick. It's been mentioned a million times but I really think it's a personal crusade against the personalities involved' date=' not their music.

Which is saddening.

Their ain't nothing better than watching Al get his funk on. :up:[/quote']

It's that old British affliction of hating anybody who gets above their station, isn't it? Maybe MMW really are terrible, I don't know. I haven't heard them (if somebody directed me to a sample MP3 I'd be glad to offer an honest opinion). I can't understand how those who really, really hate them just refuse to see them play, I mean, for a scene apparentley dominated by MMw, I've managed to not run into them musically (or socially for that matter).

Well said.

I don't see why MMw are getting so much stick. It's been mentioned a million times but I really think it's a personal crusade against the personalities involved' date=' not their music.

Which is saddening.

Their ain't nothing better than watching Al get his funk on. :up:[/quote']

Why does it have to be a personal crusade ? People geuinely don't like the interview, it makes them come across as arrogant, so in that way then yes it is about the personalities I suppose, and not the music, because they're going to be judged by the public at large who may read the interview and haven't heard the music. In interviews, it is the way you come across that is going to make the difference and vey few people here have had a go at the band as people or even their music but have actually commented on the tone and wording of the interview. Yet so far we have been told its jealousy and a personal crusade, maybe if we had been attacking the band as people, or even the music then maybe, but this is constructive criticism designed so that the band can avoid coming across this way again.

As stated previously, I don't know them, never heard them, but I have worked in the media and I can say how this to be was perceived. I'm not jealous - I'm not even in a band, I'm a manager, and it was in the capacity of manager/press person and general dogsbody that I was commenting.

Cheers

Stuart

Everyone that's replied to this thread - including me (for the pedantic fool thats bound to say But you just replied) - is just a tit... So what if the interview wasn't to everybodys taste? "Lets re-enforce my anti-weapon stance to the world"; guess what? No-one really cares anymore. And as for the massive, personal and nit-picking post, please find a more constructive way to better your own lives

Cheers

Paul

Why does it have to be a personal crusade ? People geuinely don't like the interview' date=' it makes them come across as arrogant, so in that way then yes it is about the personalities I suppose, and not the music, because they're going to be judged by the public at large who may read the interview and haven't heard the music. In interviews, it is the way you come across that is going to make the difference and vey few people here have had a go at the band as people or even their music but have actually commented on the tone and wording of the interview. Yet so far we have been told its jealousy and a personal crusade, maybe if we had been attacking the band as people, or even the music then maybe, but this is constructive criticism designed so that the band can avoid coming across this way again.

As stated previously, I don't know them, never heard them, but I have worked in the media and I can say how this to be was perceived. I'm not jealous - I'm not even in a band, I'm a manager, and it was in the capacity of manager/press person and general dogsbody that I was commenting.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Okay then, you tell us how Ben should have responded to the questions. What is the correct way to do it? You don't even need to answer as a member of My Minds Weapon, just outline the correct response in a general manner. Perhaps you could also point out specific things that shouldn't be said in an interview.

I'm sure we could all benefit from that. Here are the questions as a refresher...

How did the band come together and when did you form?

How would describe each band member personally and also what they bring into the band?

MY MIND'S WEAPON is interesting name...how did you come up with it and does it have a special meaning to you guys?

Your EP THIS IS REVENGE .....when was that recorded and what do you think your style or sound reflects as a whole on the CD...

A lot of American bands try to jump on the band wagon of trying to sound like certain big named bands in the current scene..how do you guys view that on a whole in the scene and do you feel like your band gets a lot of "you sound like Lost Prophets or FFAF" cause you are from almost the same area?

Where do you get your inspiration for lyrical content?? and is there any kind of "topic" you would never write about and why??

Your going to be going back in the studio in Oct. to record more songs...how do you feel the music as progressed from the last EP and do you have songs titles or any background on the songs you can share with us?

How is the scene in Scotland..and is it a big thing for bands from over there to break in the States these days since you have bands like Lost Prophets and Funeral for a friend making waves in the U.S. now?

I love the names of your songs.....almost like a story before you even hear the song....do you take lines from songs and put them as a song title or do you come up with something that fits the song?

What's going on for shows and what not for you guys for the rest of the year??

how can kids get your music and stay in touch with you??

How can kids stay in touch with you?

Any parting words???

By the way, I'm not throwing this question out to "the floor", I just want to know Stuart's responses since, as he puts it, "I have worked in the media and I can say how this to be was perceived."

Though I'm not entirely wanting to get involved in this little "debate" wouldn't the name dropping of bands that mmw have played with not be classed as a little bit of protentiousness. Perhaps I'm the only on who sees it that way' date=' but it was one of the main points that I disliked about Ben's replies.

Meh.

Disclaimer: The above statement is constructive criticism, and not an attack on the band mmw, any of it's members, or it's music. Any twit who considers it an attack is asked to stop twisting words to find alternative meanings. Thank you.

Though I'm not entirely wanting to get involved in this little "debate" wouldn't the name dropping of bands that mmw have played with not be classed as a little bit of protentiousness. Perhaps I'm the only on who sees it that way' date=' but it was one of the main points that I disliked about Ben's replies.

Meh.

Disclaimer: The above statement is constructive criticism, and not an attack on the band mmw, any of it's members, or it's music. Any twit who considers it an attack is asked to stop twisting words to find alternative meanings. Thank you.

Actually that's probably one of the things they did right in the interview, it is important to show whatever credentials you have in this field, show wahat you have done, who you have played with and people will be able to see what you have achieved. I can see it comes across as pretentiousness but in general you have to talk your way up in these things, the problem i have is in the way it was talked up.

Cheers

Stuart

Actually that's probably one of the things they did right in the interview' date=' it is important to show whatever credentials you have in this field, show wahat you have done, who you have played with and people will be able to see what you have achieved. I can see it comes across as pretentiousness but in general you have to talk your way up in these things, the problem i have is in the way it was talked up.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I see where you're coming from with the detailing achievments.

Sorry to sound like a prick, but could any of the members of weapon make clear which gigs they requested support? I just remember reading that mmw requested gigs every so often in Moshulu, and was wondering the number of gigs they requested.

Cheers for any details. :up:

I don't see why that would be of interest to anyone, perhaps you can enlighten me as to the reasons, but to be honest (and without being rude) I actually think it's none of yours or anyone else's business.

To list artists would be crass and unprofessional.

Okay then' date=' you tell us how Ben should have responded to the questions. What is the correct way to do it? You don't even need to answer as a member of My Minds Weapon, just outline the correct response in a general manner. Perhaps you could also point out specific things that shouldn't be said in an interview.

I'm sure we could all benefit from that. Here are the questions as a refresher...

How did the band come together and when did you form?

How would describe each band member personally and also what they bring into the band?

MY MIND'S WEAPON is interesting name...how did you come up with it and does it have a special meaning to you guys?

Your EP THIS IS REVENGE .....when was that recorded and what do you think your style or sound reflects as a whole on the CD...

A lot of American bands try to jump on the band wagon of trying to sound like certain big named bands in the current scene..how do you guys view that on a whole in the scene and do you feel like your band gets a lot of "you sound like Lost Prophets or FFAF" cause you are from almost the same area?

Where do you get your inspiration for lyrical content?? and is there any kind of "topic" you would never write about and why??

Your going to be going back in the studio in Oct. to record more songs...how do you feel the music as progressed from the last EP and do you have songs titles or any background on the songs you can share with us?

How is the scene in Scotland..and is it a big thing for bands from over there to break in the States these days since you have bands like Lost Prophets and Funeral for a friend making waves in the U.S. now?

I love the names of your songs.....almost like a story before you even hear the song....do you take lines from songs and put them as a song title or do you come up with something that fits the song?

What's going on for shows and what not for you guys for the rest of the year??

how can kids get your music and stay in touch with you??

How can kids stay in touch with you?

Any parting words???

By the way, I'm not throwing this question out to "the floor", I just want to know Stuart's responses since, as he puts it, "I have worked in the media and I can say how this to be was perceived."[/quote']

I'm not going into specifics about it, just to say that swearing in an interview in general tends to come across very badly unless you're very established and even then most people look bad. If you're a musician/songwriter then to come across as inarticulate seems rather against the odds of it. Other things wrong in the first question were the fact that they stated the wrong date for forming, I can understand that it was a mistake but these sort of things should be checked thoroughly before sending anything out to press.

Second Question - Every cliche under the sun seems to be wheeled out on this one - "but this band really is like bros ya know?". To be fair I'm not sure if this is the bands fault or the person hosting the site but its a pet hate of mine and you see it a lot in amateur interviews is the fact that people shorten things like 'ya know', there's no reason to not use proper english in that situation. Again this is dependent on whether it was a spoken interview or a typed one. I think stating that your drummer is one of the best drummers in Scotland really comes across as arrogant. There's no problem in stating how good you feel he is, but I think this is silly. I think the whole bit about Jamesy being a brother and then not again seems like a bit of a silly waste off words.

Third Question - This is actually answered well, no posturing, just a bit of background and the facts.

Fourth Question - Again quite well answered not too much posturing, more fact about how you feel about it, and comes across as OK.

Fifth Question - After a few good answers it goes back into swearing, and terrible answers. I do think there is a place for what he is trying to get across but try and articulate it without things like 'what the fuck ?'. Suffers from the same things that the first part does, kind of seems like they're trying to look punk and cool etc.

Sixth Question - This parts not too badly answered but again it goes into all the cliche's and it makes it sound insincere, it's almost like look at the hard life I've had that inspires our lyrics. At the same time, it doesn't come across as arrogantly the other bits and it wouldn't have been an easy one to answer without doing that to be fair.

Seventh Question - again not too bad, tends to answer the question about as well as it can be answered without coming across as arrogant as the previous questions.

Eighth Question - I can see what they're getting at, but its factually wrong, Glasgow is a major territory for the record comapnies too, saying that no-one comes up north kind of is just like saying that we're not good enough, if you are good enough you can get people to come to Glasgow. WarnerChappell for example allopw their A&R Scouts to go to 3 places, London, Manchester and Glasgow, so if there is a band they want to see they will come and see you.

Ninth Question - To be honest I think this is a pretty stupid question, its one that anyone listening to the band should be able to see for themselves.

The other questions are OK and answered about the only way you can, except having people adding you to MSN is a bit stupid, especially if you're serious about making it. It's always better to have a mailing list set up on yahoo or something to cover that kind of thing. Again it makes the band look amateurish.

A lot of this depends on what the band are trying to portray but they do come across as amateurish with the way they speak (or to be more accurate Ben). It is important that you speak properly when you're doing this kind of thing to try and get that air of professionalism.

As for the qualifications on working with the media, I have worked both as a journalist and in PR/Marketing (don't let the fact that I can't type fool ya ;) ). But if you don't want to take that as credentials then fine, take it as a punter who knew nothing about the band and was put off hearing anything about them because of the interview. Why do you think I'm picking on the band, I'm just answering your questions when asked. You don't have to like what I say, you don't have to listen, but I'm just saying it as I see it, no jealousy, just the facts.

I hope MMW go on to do great things, it's not bad for any band to achieve that, but they need to polish up on their interviewing technique if they're going to.

You can attribute it to jealousy (definitely not, I'm very happy with where I am musically and am having very good success)., You can put it down to this anti MW thing (I couldn't care, I tend to keep out of the scene politics and have never listened to anyones opinion if anything, I mean I listen to Marillion you gotta be open minded ;) ). The reality was I looked at the linm and saw what was there and gave an honest comment based on what I know, it wasn't meant as an attack but as constructive to the band, if their fans choos to have a go then thats up to them, I was just trying to help.

Cheers

Stuart

I don't see why that would be of interest to anyone' date=' perhaps you can enlighten me as to the reasons, but to be honest (and without being rude) I actually think it's none of yours or anyone else's business.

To list artists would be crass and unprofessional.[/quote']

no it wouldn't, there's handfuls of bands who list bands they've supported in their biographies on their websites, if listing moments in a band's history that are significant to their biography then i can't see listing stand-out moments of a band's history as being crass or unprofessional if they're proud of what they've done, my minds weapon included, i see no shame in listing your achievements

i think whats crass and unprofessional are certain answers to the interview you're defending quite vehemently but i am assuming the band in question are your friends and you're merely trying to find ways of sticking up for them

but in the defence of my minds weapon, they're just a new band starting out and everyday will be a learning experience for them and an interview as poor as this one they've done will be a lesson learned to them on how to talk to the media properly and professionally in the future;)

no it wouldn't' date=' there's handfuls of bands who list bands they've supported in their biographies on their websites, if listing moments in a band's history that are significant to their biography then i can't see listing stand-out moments of a band's history as being crass or unprofessional if they're proud of what they've done, my minds weapon included, i see no shame in listing your achievements

i think whats crass and unprofessional are certain answers to the interview you're defending quite vehemently but i am assuming the band in question are your friends and you're merely trying to find ways of sticking up for them

but in the defence of my minds weapon, they're just a new band starting out and everyday will be a learning experience for them and an interview as poor as this one they've done will be a lesson learned to them on how to talk to the media properly and professionally in the future;)[/quote']

You've taken my quote out of context, but I think you've just misunderstood me so go back and check it again. I was referring to MMw listing bands they've ASKED to play with @ Moshulu. That is a completely different thing, because then we're talking about relations between bands and promoters.

You've taken my quote out of context' date=' but I think you've just misunderstood me so go back and check it again. I was referring to MMw listing bands they've ASKED to play with @ Moshulu. That is a completely different thing, because then we're talking about relations between bands and promoters.[/quote']

but why would it be crass and unprofessional of them when they're not a professional band consisting of professional musicians anyway?;)

Guest WalkingOnGlass

Moshulu gigs we've played...

Retract The Thorn 2 - I booked and promoted it.

Fudge Night - We were asked

MMw EP Launch

Douglas - I was asked to promote it

Dead-On All-Dayer - We were asked

Johnny Truant - Cant really remember

Hiding With Girls - We were asked.

The only gig I've really pushed for at Moshulu was Bleeding Through, which we'll be playing when it's rescheduled. I also enquired about The Bled/Alexisonfire, but there's no local support. People seem to not realise that if you dont ask, you dont get. But, for the record, if Ross thought we sucked, then, unless it was desperate circumstances, then we wouldn't get gigs at Moshulu.

Again, Stuart, the offer for gig entry is still on the table.

For anyone interested...

www.purevolume.com/mymindsweapon

Please just let this go and leave us alone unless you're actually interested.

MMw @ Kef, Halloween, 4...PM for tickets..

Moshulu gigs we've played...

Retract The Thorn 2 - I booked and promoted it.

Fudge Night - We were asked

MMw EP Launch

Douglas - I was asked to promote it

Dead-On All-Dayer - We were asked

Johnny Truant - Cant really remember

Hiding With Girls - We were asked.

The only gig I've really pushed for at Moshulu was Bleeding Through' date=' which we'll be playing when it's rescheduled. I also enquired about The Bled/Alexisonfire, but there's no local support. People seem to not realise that if you dont ask, you dont get. But, for the record, if Ross thought we sucked, then, unless it was desperate circumstances, then we wouldn't get gigs at Moshulu.

Again, Stuart, the offer for gig entry is still on the table.

For anyone interested...

[url']www.purevolume.com/mymindsweapon

Please just let this go and leave us alone unless you're actually interested.

MMw @ Kef, Halloween, 4...PM for tickets..

I may take you up on it sometime, but probably not this time round. And for thre record I competely agree that if you don't ask you don't get its something that bands in aberdeen seem to forget that you got to try for what you want, the big gigs won't come to you, you go to them and you sell yourselves and maybe you'll get itm completely the right attitude :)

Cheers

Stuart