aberdeen-music

Minimum Drinks Prices

Moshulu Rob

Oh man, I could rant about this subject all day - so I'll quote stuff in order as I see it and reply to it that way.

At the end of next week the council bring in their new minimum pricing structure to cut down on binge drinking in the city centre. Every single bar and club in the city has to charge the following as a minimum.

Pint : 1.75

spirit (25ml): 1.20

Bottle of beer 1.75

Alcopop 1.75

Wine (125ml) 1.40

thoughts?

First and foremost' date=' it's going to affect venues that rely on cheap drinks to get people through the door - places like the Ministry/Priory are especially going to suffer on the dead nights that haven't been built up in any way and which rely on the drinks promos to get people in. I *think* this may actually be an underhanded way of reducing the amount of clubs and pubs in the city centre without having to present a legal challenge to new licences. I definitely don't see the venues surviving which rely on cheap drinks and free entry to get people through the door - Epic in particular is going to have to take a long, hard look at themselves. Luminar should be allright, Liquid has already moved away from drinks promos, Jumpin Jaks seem to have hit some good fortune lately and CRC's is always steady (and expensive)..however, I wonder how long the Cotton Club/Bardot's will last without being able to use cheap drinks to entice people. Triple Kirks/Exodus might suffer if they don't use some business sense - and it wouldn't surprise me if they saw the pound signs in being able to put their drinks prices up beyond the minimum and just "blame the law". Anywhere that's student friendly will suffer really - if everywhere's charging the same, then it becomes a matter of personal preference over financial considerations, which should help the nich places down the line.

All in all, there may very well be casualties as the corporate big shots won't want to keep subsidising loss making clubs that struggle to reinvent themselves.

As for the prices themselves, 1.75 for a pint is fine, but it seems slightly odd that you'll still be able to get a double vodka and coke for 2.40 - again, what's the bets that the chain places will just do "vodka and coke 1.50, make it a double for 2.50", which isn't exactly far off what it is at the minute. I don't actually think the prices were well thought out at all - the gap between a pint/alcopop and a shot seems slightly too much in my opinion.

pish. just costs more for responsible/harmless drinkers. do they really think people who get drunk every week and start fights / damage things will take a step back and say 'woa - not at 1.75 a pint!'

It's just going to lead to people drinking more at home, which in turn means people are drunk on the streets earlier, so the violence is going to spread across the night or even possibly increase as a result. Of course, the official figures will be doctored to make it sound like it's a success - just like what they'll do to justify not granting any extensions to licences this year. I was looking forward to finishing work at 1:30 and staying in Moshulu until 4am, but alas, no can do.

Where the hell do you get a pint for less than 1.75?

It's over 2 a pint in almost every pub/club anyway' date=' so it's really not going to make a blind bit of difference.[/quote']

Archie's for a start - I've had many a merry time in there drinking 1.29 pints along with various decent deals. A fair few places had decent promos on during the week too - but most places had cheap promos and nothing to do with it, I can think of only two places (possibly three) that have built up their nights during the week - Moshulu, Liquid and possibly Exodus, but my hunch is that Exodus is only busy due to TK's prices, not because of the actual club itself.

although not ethical perhaps' date=' the police and council should target places that DO get regular police call-outs etc, and make them have higher prices, and leave the ones that don't need the police ever friday and saturday night alone.[/quote']

Getting some balls and threatening to take licences away would be a start - but of course, that would involve getting on the street and seeing for themselves what the problem is, which I don't think these councillors are willing to do.

Infact the major chains challenged it in the high court. The ruling was along the lines of: It is illegal to impose minimum prices in england as it's an unfair restriction of trade by the council' date=' who control licenses in England. However in scotland because it is the courts it is ok to impose minimum prices.[/quote']

Any idea if they left it at that, or if they're planning on taking it further?

I bet we both pay staff (from managers down)' date=' Dj's etc more.[/quote']

Yup, well, speaking of flyering..only G1 (cul de sac/the cross) and Angels pay the same as we get paid - the rest get less. They've all upped their pay as a result of the minimum wage increase, but it's still below what we're getting..i've had a few amusing conversations along the lines of "wait, you're owned by a big massive company, yet our independent club/pub pays more...how does that work?". There's a lot to be said about the money some places must be making when they pay their staff the bare minimum - yet they get their alcohol considerably cheaper.

I'm actually of the opinion that minimum drink prices will hurt staff more than it'll hurt the ordinary person - if you consider that some places use cheap drinks to up their business, so they get more people through the door and hence more staff get paid, then when minimum drinks prices come in and they can't rely on cheap drinks, the venues are going to need less staff. I doubt some places will reinvent themselves and rather just choose to close their doors on certain nights, so some people will be worse off for it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nooooo! i live for spinning that wheel. and noone's died yet....

Mel and Craig came close when it fell over on Wednesday.

I really don't think it's going to have much of an impact. If someone is out to get wasted then they are going to do it by hook or by crook. Regardless of if they have to pay an extra 30p. When you're in the mood for getting drunk and you're already well on your way bank balance tends to become very low priority in your head.

If anything it'll just make people who are already drunk pissed off and rowdy because they're having to pay extra.

When you're in the mood for getting drunk and you're already well on your way bank balance tends to become very low priority in your head.

Yup, exactly! How many times has Chris gone out claiming he'll only spend a tenner and wakes up the next morning well into his over draft?!

I agree with the majority here, it's not going to make any difference really. OK so you won't get 1 pints/alcopops/whatever, but if you think about it, most of those deals are only on for about 2 hours a night, or 20 minutes at a time in Mosulu on Wednesdays. And 1.75 isn't going to break the bank. I know a lot of us are students, but come on! >sounds like an old lady< You can't get much for that price these days!

There's an easy way to deal with the binge drinking type who are intoxicated to go in for a fight and are renound for it.

Grab him, back of the police van, hammer party to his head finished with being bunged down the steps from Union Street to the Green.

Its either that or softly soft approach and thats just a mad approach to such a danerous situation.

Police brutality in these sorts of cases!!

(not the views of the actual Birdman)

right, well i wouldn't be complaining, i work in a pub in Thurso, prices are as follows

Vodka/Rum/Gin/Whiskey + Dash = 2.10

Jack Daniels/Southern Comfort + Dash = 2.30

Pint Of Lager = 2.20

Premium Lager = 2.30-2.45

Guiness = 2.40

Pint Of Cider = 2.30

Bottle of lager = 1.50-2.20

Alcopop = 2.50

yeah... expensive.....

right' date=' well i wouldn't be complaining, i work in a pub in Thurso, prices are as follows

Vodka/Rum/Gin/Whiskey + Dash = 2.10

Jack Daniels/Southern Comfort + Dash = 2.30

Pint Of Lager = 2.20

Premium Lager = 2.30-2.45

Guiness = 2.40

Pint Of Cider = 2.30

Bottle of lager = 1.50-2.20

Alcopop = 2.50

yeah... expensive.....[/quote']

That's cheap for Guiness!

...OK you get the picture LOL... it prevents them from undercutting the decent privately owned business' date=' probably run by some fun loving alchie in a doo-rag, that ocassionally gives poor young persons free drinks out of the kindness of his heart.

So it's all good. In my opinion.[/quote']

something which was very much appreciated on friday night but which also contributed to the fantastic state i was in after completing the sexiest nicest drinks list.

How much is Guiness at the Moorings out of interest?

OK I've checked and here is the complete picture on Guiness pricing:

Standard official full price 2.70 / Students 2.44

Weektime price 2.50 / Students 2.26

Happy hour 2.10

Weektime price is in force through the week and during the daytime. Happy hour is in force weeday evenings 6-7pm.

Sorry but I cannot be sure this information is 100% accurate - but it's close to the truth.