aberdeen-music
Lordie

How can we ALL get a decent music scene happening in Aberdeen..??

16 hours ago, Mac Atom said:

Weird, immediately after listening to this Repugnant tune I stuck on Entombed too... so good!

What did you listen to?

I put on a bit of Clandestine and Wolverine Blues. WB and 'To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth' were always my favourite albums by them - but coincidentally I listened to TRSSASTT a couple of weeks ago.

16 hours ago, Teabags said:

Can't say I joined the party, I stuck on Celtic Frost after them.

What ever happened to Celtic Frost?
Is it true that they got lost
in the pandemonium
Never to be seen again
Tom Warrior fell from a tree in cherry orchard
Martin Ain drowned in a cold lake
Reed St. Mark went to Mega Therion
and remains there 'till this day

49 minutes ago, Dan G said:

What did you listen to?

I put on a bit of Clandestine and Wolverine Blues. WB and 'To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth' were always my favourite albums by them - but coincidentally I listened to TRSSASTT a couple of weeks ago.

It was Morning Star for me. 

I guess this was around the time when I saw them play together but I always associate Morning Star with 'God Hates Us All' era Slayer.  I almost think of WB, Clandestine etc as being a different band cos the style/production is pretty different.  

Edited by Mac Atom

56 minutes ago, Dan G said:

What ever happened to Celtic Frost?
Is it true that they got lost
in the pandemonium
Never to be seen again
Tom Warrior fell from a tree in cherry orchard
Martin Ain drowned in a cold lake
Reed St. Mark went to Mega Therion
and remains there 'till this day

LOL.

Someone pointed out that the first line of Into the Crypts of Rays sounds like "you'll teach me how to mosh" and now I can't unhear it.

11 minutes ago, Mac Atom said:

It was Morning Star for me. 

I guess this was around the time when I saw them play together but I always associate Morning Star with 'God Hates Us All' era Slayer.  I almost think of WB, Clandestine etc as being a different band cos the style/production is pretty different.  

Totally - that early Entombed sound was pure Sunlight Studios/Boss HM-2 pedal - so recognisable!

4 minutes ago, Teabags said:

LOL.

Someone pointed out that the first line of Into the Crypts of Rays sounds like "you'll teach me how to mosh" and now I can't unhear it.

I can't take credit for the lyrics sadly - they were from Stormtrooper of Death's 'Celtic Frosted Flakes'. And yeah, that sounds remarkably like 'you'll teach me how to mosh'.

For whatever reason I never got into Celtic Frost - not due to disliking the band, as I always liked Obituary & Sepultura's covers of Circle of the Tyrants & Procreation of the Wicked respectively. It's probably because CF weren't particularly active when I started getting into Death/extreme metal, and in the mid 90s you only really had magazines/MTV/a cousin from London sending you mix-tapes to get you into stuff. Maybe Cold Lake was still fresh in the minds of the metal press and as a result they were something of a joke... 

Come to think of it, I remember hearing Tom G's Appolyon Sun project on a 1997 Metal Hammer CD that coincidentally had Entombed's 'Lights Out' on it - and (what with not being that into the likes of Ministry and NIN) I thought it was a load of poo. I guess that put me off the idea of going back to Celtic Frost.

2 hours ago, ca_gere said:

i ‘made it’ too - I’ve got two lovely dogs and a wonderful wife.

hmmmm.....telling that the 2 dogs came first in that list. 

I have a nice chunk of stilton in my fridge and a wonderful wife.

18 minutes ago, Dan G said:

hmmmm.....telling that the 2 dogs came first in that list. 

I have a nice chunk of stilton in my fridge and a wonderful wife.

to be fair, Dogs dont tell us to do the dishes. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

to be fair, Dogs dont tell us to do the dishes. 

And neither should our wives. Jesus wept, what next... Police telling us to catch criminals? Toasters telling us to cook our own bread?

It's political correctness gone mad.

• Like 1

My wife is a bit of an arsehole but I have an Atari 2600 and a burger blog. Have i made it? 

Edit - AND I'm a moderator on Aberdeen Music.

Since moving to Dublin 7 years ago I've had exactly one band on the go, it was just me and one other guy, he played the guitar, but he only had one arm and one little stump and no-one had ever had the heart to tell him he was a terrible musician (not because of the arm, he just had no talent). That's what happens when you move to another city. I say stay in Aberdeen. 

I moved to Somerset and also just had one band. We had 3 bass players quit in the space of about 2 months, one just completely disappeared. Deleted Facebook, never to be heard from again. He reminded me of Taco from The League. Aloof, but, too aloof. He's probably somewhere hugging a toilet seat right now.

Bands are stupid, and way too much hard work to get 3/4/5 humans in a room together all at the same time, and to continue doing that until you are un-shit enough to play a gig. Also, maintaining interest in playing the same songs repeatedly is tough. By the time you're anywhere near gig-ready, you're sick of them and playing them is joyless.

Bands are dumb.

55 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

I moved to Somerset and also just had one band. We had 3 bass players quit in the space of about 2 months, one just completely disappeared. 

This is definitely a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. 3 bass players is far too many, and they probably just got annoyed at getting in each others way.

I personally find the optimum number of bass players is 1, or sometimes even 0 if you either a) have a keyboardist with a good left hand, or b) are in a Pig Destroyer tribute act.

2 can work, if you're the Melvins, or GVSB. I am neither of those. I want 1, and I want them to be felt, but not necessarily heard. We have zero, and haven't jammed in about 6 months. I think it's dead.

I just play synth in my bedroom in the dark now. It's cool.