aberdeen-music

The music scene

kitteh

If you as you state listen to hardcore' date=' then why dont you and your scener pals go see hardcore bands at drakes? I guess thats not fashionable enough for you.

I would say its because you seek out name bands and shun the others. So you dont see your taste as being trendy, but you only go to name bands that are known in the scene. Think that makes your claim look silly.[/quote']

1.what Ross said

2.martin wasn't really trying to make a claim about anything,just as he says he LISTENS TO BANDS WHICH HE PERSONALLY ENJOYS.which is fair enough-each to their own,like something because you like it not becauseit's the in thing to do,Martin's been into hardcore for as long as i've known him.

3.just enjoy the music you like and stop being so elitist towards others with different opinions.

4.listen to me...i KNOW.apparently ?(

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nikola Tesla
If you as you state listen to hardcore' date=' then why dont you and your scener pals go see hardcore bands at drakes? I guess thats not fashionable enough for you.

I would say its because you seek out name bands and shun the others. So you dont see your taste as being trendy, but you only go to name bands that are known in the scene. Think that makes your claim look silly.[/quote']

Never seen you at drakes (if your who i think you are). Why don't you come to some gigs?? or are you too underground for that??

What a stupid thing to say.

You really dont have a clue at all do you??

Why not go back to your little underground scene and leave us to it. PLEASE!!!!

True. Very true, and I think we're all guilty of going to see our mates and leaving when they finish.

Talk about arguing the pointless...!

Alternative music has become a populist fashion again' date=' much like in the early 90s with grunge, like the mid 80s with metal, and the 70s with punk. I remember not that many years ago when I would positively await with excitement the next Good News To The Sick or Reck 'n' Roll gigs at the old Drakes bar, because there were no other gigs of the like. Sure, you could go see some covers band someplace, but... Before too long word spread, more and more people wanted to come to Drakes and more and more bands staged their fledgeling gigs there. Who remembers the first Dangerfields gig or Cormak lying atop the bar singing "I believe in Rock 'n' Roll"?? Ruptured Spleen? TAR? (and I know there are a great many more people who these days talk about TAR gigs than actually went to them...)

And so the "scene" has grown from that, pretty much. Other venues have followed suit and looked to emulate the success of the Drakes legend and current standing. Many more bands have sprung up, and they now have a wider choice of venues to play and a bigger crowd than they might have had some 5 years ago. At the same time, the mainstream has again tapped the alternative music, and so kids get in on the act long before they ever hear about "Dr Drakes" and "cool local bands".

But, the down side is that many of them are not in it for the love of just music. They're in it for the fashion, the membership of the "scene", to try and emulate their heroes, etc. They will only go to a gig if they think enough of their friends are going, if that band is "cool" to like, and they will only be interested in sticking around for that one band. Yes, it's disheartning to see half the audience leave before you go on, but I'd personally rather play to 20 fans than 50 dis-interested "bodies". The time will no doubt come when alternative is no longer the chosen alternative, and the scene that people love so much will shrink and maybe dissappear again. But, there will still be the diehard musos who love playing music and love seeing bands who will keep some gigs on the go, somewhere.

Then eventually, the cycle will repeat.[/quote']

is hardcore the same as emo?

yours confusingly

The emo scene (note ORIGINAL emo scene) originated from the DC hardcore scene, around the time most people refer to as "revolution summer". This took place summer 1984, and envolved bands such as Embrace (not that Embrace btw), Rites Of Spring and Dag Nasty. The emo scene came about in the DC scene when bands at the time got bored by the confines of hardcore (aka fast guitaring/screaming/songs only lasting a minute in length, lyrics being repetive and limited etc), and wanted to do something more musical and personal based (aka songs people could relate to). Hence the emo scene featured bands righting songs about friends, loved ones, personal political views and beliefs, songs that people had a real connection to. And for the record emo isn't just about whining about girlfriends, thats often just pop punk. If you want to find out more read Dance Of Days by Mark Andersen & Mark Jenkins, it gives a history of the DC scene as well as looking at events such as Nirvana making the alt-scene commercial and the effect on the punk scene etc.

Martin x

Guest allsystemsfail
If you want to find out more read Dance Of Days by Mark Andersen & Mark Jenkins' date=' it gives a history of the DC scene as well as looking at events such as Nirvana making the alt-scene commercial and the effect on the punk scene etc.

Martin x[/quote']

Can I second that recommendation?

*sighs*

i only wanted to know what the music scene is like up in Aberdeen....I wasn't expecting a huge bitchfest. I'll know where to come if I want to spend all my time being closed minded about other people's opinions about music n slag them off. Can't people just agree to disagree? to be terribly cliche

Yes, I admit there are a lot of bands I dont like. But at the same time there will be bands that I like that other people hate. It's to be expected. Instead people take everything personally, they get to emotionally involved in the debate and cant detach themselves. Can't you just accept that you're opinions of music differ? In things like this there are no 'right' or 'wrong' answers. Anyone who states 'you're either with us or against us' immediately gets 'well Im against you' from me. They forget the grey area and are so closeminded that I simply don't want to be one of them. It goes on principle. Why not just let the matter drop. Cos this arguement is getting old and has NOTHING to do with the original posting. I suggest that if you want to continue this slagoff fest that you do it elsewhere on another post.

*sighs*

i only wanted to know what the music scene is like up in Aberdeen....I wasn't expecting a huge bitchfest. I'll know where to come if I want to spend all my time being closed minded about other people's opinions about music n slag them off. Can't people just agree to disagree? to be terribly cliche

Yes' date=' I admit there are a lot of bands I dont like. But at the same time there will be bands that I like that other people hate. It's to be expected. Instead people take everything personally, they get to emotionally involved in the debate and cant detach themselves. Can't you just accept that you're opinions of music differ? In things like this there are no 'right' or 'wrong' answers. Anyone who states 'you're either with us or against us' immediately gets 'well Im against you' from me. They forget the grey area and are so closeminded that I simply don't want to be one of them. It goes on principle. Why not just let the matter drop. Cos this arguement is getting old and has NOTHING to do with the original posting. I suggest that if you want to continue this slagoff fest that you do it elsewhere on another post.[/quote']

kitteh will be the one walking about Aberdeen in a full dominatrix outfit looking for someone to fill her gimp mask :p

The emo scene (note ORIGINAL emo scene) originated from the DC hardcore scene' date=' around the time most people refer to as "revolution summer". This took place summer 1984, and envolved bands such as Embrace (not that Embrace btw), Rites Of Spring and Dag Nasty. The emo scene came about in the DC scene when bands at the time got bored by the confines of hardcore (aka fast guitaring/screaming/songs only lasting a minute in length, lyrics being repetive and limited etc), and wanted to do something more musical and personal based (aka songs people could relate to). Hence the emo scene featured bands righting songs about friends, loved ones, personal political views and beliefs, songs that people had a real connection to. And for the record emo isn't just about whining about girlfriends, thats often just pop punk. If you want to find out more read Dance Of Days by Mark Andersen & Mark Jenkins, it gives a history of the DC scene as well as looking at events such as Nirvana making the alt-scene commercial and the effect on the punk scene etc.

Martin x[/quote']

its pretty cool to see someone post about a subject here which they actually know about, i often find it faintly ridiculous reading about what gets thrown under the whole emo/screamo/hardcore banner nowadays.

american hardcore - a tribal history by steven blush out on feral house is also a great read with some brilliant photography.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Survey says...

Come to Moshulu on Saturday' date='

Hiding With Girls

Hollywood Ending

My Minds Weapon

Doors at 7

No bitching there, guaranteed.[/quote']

i might just do that. see what is on offer

*sighs*

Yes' date=' I admit there are a lot of bands I dont like. But at the same time there will be bands that I like that other people hate. It's to be expected. Instead people take everything personally, they get to emotionally involved in the debate and cant detach themselves. Can't you just accept that you're opinions of music differ? In things like this there are no 'right' or 'wrong' answers. Anyone who states 'you're either with us or against us' immediately gets 'well Im against you' from me. They forget the grey area and are so closeminded that I simply don't want to be one of them. It goes on principle. Why not just let the matter drop. Cos this arguement is getting old and has NOTHING to do with the original posting. I suggest that if you want to continue this slagoff fest that you do it elsewhere on another post.[/quote']

Sorry kitteh, I didn't mean to prolong this argument. I just hate it when people start wagging their bonebox without thinking, being constructive and backing up there points with contextual facts.

The aberdeen music scene is actually bigger and better than the crap that often gets thrown around on these forums. As far as I'm concerned their is something for everyone here.

Take Care,

Martin x

Thats right ignore my post' date=' like i give a fuck. Why post against me then cease to reply?

It just shows how ignorant you are and you're only interested in your own opinion.[/quote']

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! Why am I not the centre of attention any more? Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!! Argue with me!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! I'm soooooooo special!!

:help:

Thats right ignore my post' date=' like i give a fuck. Why post against me then cease to reply?

It just shows how ignorant you are and you're only interested in your own opinion.[/quote']

ritalin?or maybe some valium?

mellow the fuck out and put away the handbag

....or i'll sort you out

994handbag.jpg

capiche?

:p