aberdeen-music

The music scene

kitteh

that doesnt make sense now does it. They are dont have any talent because they sound the same?? Hmmm you really come across as someone who wishes they knew more about what they are arguing but sadly you dont. Come on leave it.

So why you think there are alot of cloned bands out there? It's because the major lables dictate it. Copying bands sounds and or ideas is easy, making and creating something new truly takes far more effort. Tell me this would you rather be remembered for starting something new musically or just be satisfied that your sound does nothing to enhance the scene?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Case in point' date=' my band play raw grindnoise. I love that stuff and can't get enough. Now, what if I was to say "Fuck that shitty poppy melodic stuff. I'm having no part of it." How the fuck would we get a gig? We wouldn't, simple as that. I'll happily gig with anyone, you should do all you can to promote your band. It makes no sense to turn people against you, that's counter-productive. We're certainly not a "scene" band, but we've played at Drake's 7 times! I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say.

[/quote']

I certainly agree with the point that you play with whoever can bring your band to a bigger audience but i feel thats something lost on many bands here who tend to stick to bands within your genre. Jo's played with a lot of bands that certainly fall outwith the genre that people would see her in. It's difficult enough to link them to each other let alone to Jo: John Young, Midge Ure, Marillion, Fish,Donnie Munro, Glenn Tilbrook etc. All these people have one thing in common which is that they brought her to a bigger audience, they sold more CDs, which at the end of the day is what its all about, not to mention the amount of contacts made. We're back in my opinion to the one of the biggest 'scene' problem which is people being narrow minded in the genre they perceive themselves. If you feel you're good enough then approach the biggest bands you can, go and play with the people you can and make yourself known.

Cheers

Stuart

Rune' date=' I really don't see what you're getting so het up about. Sure, people will always follow trends and fashions but it's always been that way and always will be, no matter what. Getting pissed off at people for not checking out the more obscure stuff will get you nowhere. It just alienates folk, makes them feel unwelcome and eventually will drive them into something where they DO feel welcome. Look, I love taking the piss out of emo as much as anyone but I sure don't get angered by it. I've no interest in it, so I stick to the stuff which DOES interest me.

Case in point, my band play raw grindnoise. I love that stuff and can't get enough. Now, what if I was to say "Fuck that shitty poppy melodic stuff. I'm having no part of it." How the fuck would we get a gig? We wouldn't, simple as that. I'll happily gig with anyone, you should do all you can to promote your band. It makes no sense to turn people against you, that's counter-productive. We're certainly not a "scene" band, but we've played at Drake's 7 times! I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say.

In short, things will always be the way they are and no amount of moaning will stop it. Why not do as I do and offer to tape some stuff out of your collection for people to listen to? I love doing that. Not everyone will like it, but some will and do. Far better that than moan at people for being too trendy or whatever. At least you'd be doing something proactive and constructive. You might just get some people into some magic stuff and that is its own reward.[/quote']

Fair point.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I certainly agree with the point that you play with whoever can bring your band to a bigger audience but i feel thats something lost on many bands here who tend to stick to bands within your genre. Jo's played with a lot of bands that certainly fall outwith the genre that people would see her in. It's difficult enough to link them to each other let alone to Jo: John Young' date=' Midge Ure, Marillion, Fish,Donnie Munro, Glenn Tilbrook etc. All these people have one thing in common which is that they brought her to a bigger audience, they sold more CDs, which at the end of the day is what its all about, not to mention the amount of contacts made. We're back in my opinion to the one of the biggest 'scene' problem which is people being narrow minded in the genre they perceive themselves. If you feel you're good enough then approach the biggest bands you can, go and play with the people you can and make yourself known.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Excellent points there. It's about getting out there and doing it. Hell, my band won't get anywhere as we're certainly not going to get mass appeal but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the D.I.Y. ethic, we record ourselves on a 4-track, burn our CD's ourselves but the best way to get the name about is to get out there gigging. How else can you punt the CD's?

fuck me that was a long tedious read with the same points being bought up over and over again. i just got back from one of, if not THE best gig i've ever seen in aberdeen. MON THE BIFFY!! but we get all sorts here and our local bands are varied and there really is something for everyone. hell we've got chart band rooster playing soon and status quo at the aecc!! i think you'll like it....just try to avoid this place and keep yer nose clean :up: