aberdeen-music

The music scene

kitteh

Hey. This is my first post on here.

I'll explan about myself quickly before I ask what i would like to know.

I'm in my second year at college and along with the swarms of others, I'm looking at universities. What I'm looking at as my first choice is Aberdeen, it offers a great course.

However, sad as I am, I need to know about the music scene up there in good ol' Aberdeen. I live in north east england, and it's guna be quite a trek for me to go up north, and I quite simply need to have music.

so.

we finally get to it.

What type of music do you have up there? Do you have rock nights? rock clubs/pubs? I ask because I know nothing I'm afraid. Where I live we have a rather good Indie/punk/rock-in-general scene and I hate to give it up but Aberdeen is too far to return home for the weekends.

anything you can tell me about your music scene would be great.

Cheers

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scene up here is good if you're into emo/pop punk shit as alot of kiddies like that.

Thats why alot of other bands tend to get poor turnouts.

Lava's sound system is shit, but sometimes has good bands appearing. Lemon tree is cool but not really alot of good bands go there. Their sound system is good tho.

Moshulu is ok but most of the songs get repeatedevery week and they dont really do requests. Band wise moshulu has been getting a few decent gigs coming up.

For me drakes is the best venue in aberdeen.

The simplest way to sum up Aberdeen:

The Moorings for alcohol, especially on wrecking ball nights. Good prices and good music.

Drakes for the majority of gigs.

Moshulu every so often for gigs, and a pretty good place to hang around till the early hours of the morning (especially the back room. Top quality).

The scene up here is good if you're into emo/pop punk shit as alot of kiddies like that.

damn, not really into emo. certainly where i live it's a total scenster thing, it's 'cool' to be emo at the moment. They all split up with their partners and then go and write a song bout it. It's a general joke. the songs tend to include:

heartbreak

blood

them bleeding/cutting themselves

suicide

stars coming out

*sighs*

i think hog and jake will fall in love with you.

As for the type of music take a look in the other clubs forum and see the sort of stuff they have been playing in exodus on a sat/sun night. Moshulu used to do the same thing, but they deleted their forum for business reasons.

sidenote: ross why not stick the playlists from Mud and bondage in the other clubs forum?

damn' date=' not really into emo. certainly where i live it's a total scenster thing, it's 'cool' to be emo at the moment. They all split up with their partners and then go and write a song bout it. It's a general joke. the songs tend to include:

heartbreak

blood

them bleeding/cutting themselves

suicide

stars coming out

*sighs*[/quote']

* feels the old, "what is emo", "why emo sucks", etc style arguements just waiting to pop up again *

Child, you know not what you have done. A great evil is in now in the world. We are all doomed.

Either that or no one will take notice.

Hopefully the latter.

Guest stuartmaxwell

to be honest there isnt actually that many emo bands up here, its very anti emo up here becuase it is the trend at the moment, i dont mind emo,

here is my official outlook on aberdeen

there have been some great bands/acts in the last year, gloria flaw, sidca, elctric tibet, deadloss mf superstar, small enclosed area, kathryn sawers, eric euan, politik, masamune, ian simpson, t13, jo maccaferty, the staccato set, etc etc

lots of rubbish indie bands(Lady mercedes, star, diablo, soul doubt etc), some dire metal acts (REAP),

best to avoid them like the plague

venue wise

drakes is theee greatest bar in the land, lovely staff, open minded, great tunes/decor, good bands, a fully operational bar (with people to serve too!).

i agree that kef has rubbish sound (think it is cos it is usually a 1/4 full), its mainly touring acts and local support. some good acts play there though.

drummonds is full of neds at the weekend, nice place though bar the non air conditioning, could do with filtering out the shite indie bands, loud bands sound great in there, its also complete with a dry and witty(hmm) sound engineer

moorings is great for drinking, ive yet to be won over by a gig in there though,

the bassment does great food, big portions and home made!!decent music, great attitude from the management-they seem like top guys and ross is getting some good acts in, i have had some good nights in moshulu, some bad too though as with anywhere. gigs seem to have a strange sound when im there though, bit muddy!

the wonderful exodus, great club, no twats (although has been more recently), decent bouncers!!!!!! cheap beer good songs, the dj on saturday night will play practically anything (he played laeto for us once!), lovely bar staff too.

def go along to the fudge gigs, they are usually great fun. brian and craig fudge get drunk and waffle on stage usually funny and at the expense of somebody,

loads of other promoters too, good for nothing, audio dropouts, interesting music, etc etc

some great pubs, tilted wig, the grill, prince of wales, blackfriars, etc etc

abdn is decent like, its easy to meet people too, quite friendly in the right places.

stay in skool

wow people from northern england rock :p

clubs: there really is little...moshulu has various different nights and there is upstairs in Triple Kirks but nothin special compared to Pozition, Welly and Spiders in Hull

gigs: this is good though...drakes, drummonds and lemon tree seem to have something different on every night and have lots of differents of styles that will cater for everyone...moorings has gigs on saturday and kef and moshulu has gigs whenever...some real big bands comin at moshulu which is quite exciting as lemon tree/music hall rarely puts anything on that interests me. AECC is crap ceot for wrestling.

crowds: people generally watch their mates band or whatever band is cool in kerrang. there is exceptions to this but so many gigs when the touring band has been playing to no one has been unbelivable...I dont really know the indie scene here, I would like to as I'd love to see bands like The Videos (dont know if they'll be offended by me classifying them like that but i was impressed with the Real Shocks track on Go North CD). The bands I've seen that I think could make it include : King Liar & The Brutes, Karloff, Quik, Filthpact...and erm thats about it but there is quite a few others i enjoy.

I think many people take it for granted how lucky we are for live music in Aberdeen. I've lived here all my life and and can say its worth staying here because I've enjoyed so many good gigs and its been a good city to grow up in. There is no particular scene in Aberdeen, theres just plenty of things going on if you look hard enough. Exodus is a party every night :partyboy: ,just don't fall asleep if you've danced too much otherwise you will get chucked out. :up: