aberdeen-music

The music scene

kitteh

Guest neil ex

there's gigs on every night, lots of great events, alot of good venues, lots of aberdeen based bands, lots of touring bands coming up. if you follow the gig listings you'll find there's often something on to cater for just about any music fan. we are lucky to have that.

untitled_thumb.png

"only a fool would fall asleep in a club."

exodus is pretty good, i probably prefer it to any club i've been to in glasgow. it's very cheap on certain nights. the djs are open to requests. it's always busy towards the end of a night.

louis louie, seeing you stand next to the friday night dj in the dj booth made me seriously consider getting my eyes tested again. you look nothing a like!

and rob, enjoy your wee nap on friday night? get home alright? i think that pitcher and all that trying to hit me tired you out a bit. :swearing:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* feels the old' date=' "what is emo", "why emo sucks", etc style arguements just waiting to pop up again *

Child, you know not what you have done. A great evil is in now in the world. We are all doomed.

Either that or no one will take notice.

Hopefully the latter.[/quote']

I am young and foolish! i retract my scathing coment!!

we must pray for redemption

personally [with the exception of the clubs/bars moshulu, exodus, moorings, henry j's etc] i don't think the scene is particularly good. a few good gigs have been going on lately at the lemon tree but a lot of the stuff tends to be fairly generic punk/metal/screamy type stuff. but whatever floats your boat i suppose

Guest Jake Wifebeater
damn' date=' not really into emo. certainly where i live it's a total scenster thing, it's 'cool' to be emo at the moment. They all split up with their partners and then go and write a song bout it. It's a general joke. the songs tend to include:

heartbreak

blood

them bleeding/cutting themselves

suicide

stars coming out

*sighs*[/quote']

I think that I'm going to have to buy you a drink for that post alone. Top stuff, utterly spot on. I'm in a noise/grind band but there's not that many folks into it, so check out The Spike Boys when you toddle on up here.

and rob' date=' enjoy your wee nap on friday night,? get home alright? i think that pitcher and all that trying to hit me tired you out a bit. :swearing:[/quote']

yeah was great nap. woke up on the bus. sorry about hitting you. I don't even remember you being there.

wow people from northern england rock :p

clubs: there really is little...moshulu has various different nights and there is upstairs in Triple Kirks but nothin special compared to Pozition' date=' Welly and Spiders in Hull

gigs: this is good though...drakes, drummonds and lemon tree seem to have something different on every night and have lots of differents of styles that will cater for everyone...moorings has gigs on saturday and kef and moshulu has gigs whenever...some real big bands comin at moshulu which is quite exciting as lemon tree/music hall rarely puts anything on that interests me. AECC is crap ceot for wrestling.

crowds: people generally watch their mates band or whatever band is cool in kerrang. there is exceptions to this but so many gigs when the touring band has been playing to no one has been unbelivable...I dont really know the indie scene here, I would like to as I'd love to see bands like The Videos (dont know if they'll be offended by me classifying them like that but i was impressed with the Real Shocks track on Go North CD). The bands I've seen that I think could make it include : King Liar & The Brutes, Karloff, Quik, Filthpact...and erm thats about it but there is quite a few others i enjoy.[/quote']

You missed on saturday, punk.

For the sake of confusion... The Videos... were previously known as real shocks.... check out amazon.co.uk for old stuffy with some sparkly wee reviews from randoms across the nation.

But to the point of the thread.... aberdeen can be great at times, I've had some amazing nights... and as maxi said... some shitters too. Moshulu, The Moorings, The wonderous Dr Drakes and occasionally Exodus tend to be host to my average night out.

Some great gigs come here too, but you really ahve to look out for them... some literally slip by un-noticed. *weaps*

Rad to the max.

I think that I'm going to have to buy you a drink for that post alone. Top stuff' date=' utterly spot on. I'm in a noise/grind band but there's not that many folks into it, so check out The Spike Boys when you toddle on up here.[/quote']

ill hold u to that drink = P

one of the current jokes we have at the moment when taking the piss is

'I'm going to write a song about you!'

in true emo style

and if i do, ill check it out. not really my usual but for sure i'll try it :up: havent heard enough really

try every type of music at least once

Guest Jake Wifebeater
oh' date=' those that enjoy mocking emo may enjoy this.

[url']http://www.no-nothingrock.com/articles/emoabc/

however, if you are emo inclined, or have emo sympathies, in the interests of keeping the peace, dont look

That was highly enjoyable. They do say that the best stories are the ones that tell you what you already know. Don't worry about offending emo fans, they'll thank you for giving them something to whine about!

to be honest there isnt actually that many emo bands up here' date=' its very anti emo up here becuase it is the trend at the moment, i dont mind emo,

here is my official outlook on aberdeen

there have been some great bands/acts in the last year, gloria flaw, sidca, elctric tibet, deadloss mf superstar, small enclosed area, kathryn sawers, eric euan, politik, masamune, ian simpson, t13, jo maccaferty, the staccato set, etc etc

lots of rubbish indie bands(Lady mercedes, star, diablo, soul doubt etc), some dire metal acts (REAP),

best to avoid them like the plague

venue wise

drakes is theee greatest bar in the land, lovely staff, open minded, great tunes/decor, good bands, a fully operational bar (with people to serve too!).

i agree that kef has rubbish sound (think it is cos it is usually a 1/4 full), its mainly touring acts and local support. some good acts play there though.

drummonds is full of neds at the weekend, nice place though bar the non air conditioning, could do with filtering out the shite indie bands, loud bands sound great in there, its also complete with a dry and witty(hmm) sound engineer

moorings is great for drinking, ive yet to be won over by a gig in there though,

the bassment does great food, big portions and home made!!decent music, great attitude from the management-they seem like top guys and ross is getting some good acts in, i have had some good nights in moshulu, some bad too though as with anywhere. gigs seem to have a strange sound when im there though, bit muddy!

the wonderful exodus, great club, no twats (although has been more recently), decent bouncers!!!!!! cheap beer good songs, the dj on saturday night will play practically anything (he played laeto for us once!), lovely bar staff too.

def go along to the fudge gigs, they are usually great fun. brian and craig fudge get drunk and waffle on stage usually funny and at the expense of somebody,

loads of other promoters too, good for nothing, audio dropouts, interesting music, etc etc

some great pubs, tilted wig, the grill, prince of wales, blackfriars, etc etc

abdn is decent like, its easy to meet people too, quite friendly in the right places.

stay in skool[/quote']

Hay Maxi!

NAIL ON HEAD!

Well said mate

That was highly enjoyable. They do say that the best stories are the ones that tell you what you already know. Don't worry about offending emo fans' date=' they'll thank you for giving them something to whine about![/quote']

true, and if all else fails, you can always tell them to fuck off and slit their wrists quietly in the corner

only if you're feeling particularly harsh at the time of course...

the average reply to them when they start whining is 'oh go write a fucking song about it'

such a beautiful response...

Guest Jake Wifebeater
true' date=' and if all else fails, you can always tell them to fuck off and slit their wrists quietly in the corner

only if you're feeling particularly harsh at the time of course...

the average reply to them when they start whining is 'oh go write a fucking song about it'

such a beautiful response...[/quote']

Lovely. You continue to impress. If you decide to come up this way, you will be among friends. Oh, I've just invented a joke! Here goes:

Q. How many emo kids does it take to change a light bulb?

A. 10. One to change it, and nine to collectively feel betrayed by it!

Lovely. You continue to impress. If you decide to come up this way' date=' you will be among friends. Oh, I've just invented a joke! Here goes:

Q. How many emo kids does it take to change a light bulb?

A. 10. One to change it, and nine to collectively feel betrayed by it![/quote']

just another service we provide...

im a nice girl really......

and that joke, has to be spread. :up:

and shall be by me :up:

whilst the aberdeen scene can be a bit self indulgent and cliquey at times, there's lots of fun to be had, some quite cool people and the grumpiest old man in the UK in the form of Ian Christie, the sound engineer at Cafe Drummonds.

for drunken debauchary and the unexpected go to a fudge event

cutting edge stuff is usually at doctor drakes

the scenesters paradise is moshulu as well as cheap drink and somewhere to go late and listen to some good tunes (dancefloor optional) plus they're doing their best to get some decent touring acts up

Kef is the place for up and coming and established touring acts sometimes with local support

the lemon tree and music hall for bigger established touring acts

the SECC for the big bands such as ver quo, stereophonics and radiohead

Pittodrie stadium for tossers like Bryan Adams and Elton John

pub rock is provided by the malt mill

best drink selection, best jukebox and all round vibe is found at the moorings (plus the odd decent gig when they put bands on)

and drummonds is best for drinking too much jack daniels and putting the world to rights with the aforementioned mr christie plus they occasionally have good bands and some that are worth going to see just to laugh at...