aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Liverpool are piling all the forwards in this window it seems, even though their attack is tidy even without Suarez. Borini apparently doesn't want to leave. Origi is close. Remy looks a done deal. Lallana is done. Markovic is done. Lambert was done ages ago. They've already got Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling. is Assaidi coming back? He's looked decent. That's alot of attacking players, when they've only lost Suarez.

How have they not bought a Glen Johnson replacement yet? They should. Then if every club in the country brings in an okay right back, it might mean that Glen Johnson will just gradually go away, never to be heard of again. That would be best for everyone.

The most recent Isco thing I read was to Man City to join up with Pellegrini again.

I think Liverpool squad is looking better at the moment but without Suarez it looks like they'll struggle for top 4.  If you look at their likely starting 11 it looks ok but nothing spectacular, 5th or 6th finish.  Man United will take their place back in the top 4.

He's a good all-rounder. He doesn't solve the problem on his own though. United certainly need more of his ilk. He'd still have to play next to one of Carrick (crocked and ageing),  Fellaini, Cleverley (both useless) Fletcher (not the player he was), Anderson (fat),

Van Gaal is assessing the squad for the next 2-3 weeks. No amount of assessments is going to stop that midfield from being garbage. Axe the lot, and buy Herrera some new team mates. Keep Carrick, and maybe Fletcher.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

I still reckon the Man Utd squad with maybe 1 or 2 more additions is way better than the Liverpool one.  Van Gaal is tactically astute as well which will make up for a lot of last seasons failings.

Not to mention Man United really lucked out and got a piss easy start to the season.  First couple of months should be great for Van Gaal and really gel the team together.

Depends if they can finally get the best out of Fellani, i wouldnt count him out just yet. He had an awful season, but he was a brilliant player for Everton. 

Carrick and the rest i agree with, even Fletch who just wont be the same player again i dont think.

They still need to sort that defense, no way are jones and smalling going to be good enough for the season and johnny evans has just never pushed on like i thought he would, although United fans seem to be really defensive over him.

I believe in Jones and Smalling. Both have tarnished reputations as footballers, from countless iffy performances in positions other than their natural positions. Jones has still made a couple of brainfarts at centre back, but he's still young, and I think he'll calm down. Smalling is hugely underrated at centre back. Dog shit at right back, because he couldn't dribble around a traffic cone and he shouldn't be encouraged to go beyond the half way line, but he's colossal in the middle. Huge, quick, great in the air, great when dribbled at. I especially believe Smalling will make it. He just needs to be shown some faith.

You're right about Evans. And any United academy product. You can't speak ill of Evans, Cleverley or Welbeck to United fans, or else you're a total bastard who doesn't understand football, or something. I think he's a decent backup, but he didn't kick on. His debut season when Rio was injured was excellent. He's at the other side of 25 now. He should have established himself as first pick, but I don't think he's good enough for that, but certainly good enough for the squad. IT's time for Jones and Smalling to be given that same opportunity. Smalling especially. Jones needs to reel it in a bit.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Aye your right there, speak ill or Evans, Welbeck or Clev and you get slaughtered. Evans should have been a first choice player without question by now, but he just hasnt pushed on enough, he suffers from Andy Considine syndrome as well, when any mistake seems to end up costing a goal. 

You could be right with smalling and jones, maybe a full season of actually playing centre half will do them the world of good. England really really need them to push on as Jags and Cahill are not the answer going forward. 

Is Yesil still on Liverpool's books? There was a lot of hype around him a year or so ago. I've never seen him, but plenty were saying he was the business.

He is but I think has been pretty much constantly injured so hasn't really played, even for the reserves.  I think he must still be crocked because he's not on the pre-season tour.  I've also heard things like him being the best German striker of his generation.

Michel Vorm and Ben Davies have gone to Spurs, with Gylfi Sigurdsson going the other way. A player plus cash deal, just like in the video games!

Vorm's obviously not going to displace Lloris as #1, but he's far too good to be a #2. Bit of a strange move for him I think. Ben Davies looks an excellent full back though. Good move for him and Spurs.