aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Aberdeen Vs Groningen on Thursday is now ticket only so Pittodrie will be heaving, I missed the Riga tie so really looking forward to this one.

Groningen also play in a 22,000 capacity stadium, but theirs is a two tiered oval and looks considerably better than Pittodrie. They've also spent about 2.5 million Euros this transfer window, so the investment in their team is considerably more than what Aberdeen can afford. It'll be a really tough tie but I'm confident about going through, although this lot were in good form towards the end of last season and were undefeated in their final 10 matches.

Aberdeen Vs Groningen on Thursday is now ticket only so Pittodrie will be heaving, I missed the Riga tie so really looking forward to this one.

Groningen also play in a 22,000 capacity stadium, but theirs is a two tiered oval and looks considerably better than Pittodrie. They've also spent about 2.5 million Euros this transfer window, so the investment in their team is considerably more than what Aberdeen can afford. It'll be a really tough tie but I'm confident about going through, although this lot were in good form towards the end of last season and were undefeated in their final 10 matches.

Both their new signings have groin injuries, apparently. I WONDER WHAT THEY'VE BEEN UP TO LOL

I don't think we're particularly excited of the prospect of Smalling either.

Gunners on Twitter seem to want him over Vermaelen.

Smalling is very good, though his dogshit performances at right back have tarnished his reputation. He's excellent when actually given games at centre back.

United seem to be edging closer and closer to doing something with Arturo Vidal. Please, please, please let it happen, he'd be perfect for the Premier League.

Vidal:

I'm not thinking of where I'm going to go, I want to take advantage of my holidays with the people I love. Right now I'm thinking of other things. Afterwards, when I arrive in Italy, I'll see. I'm already at a great team, Juventus, so I will be just as calm if the Manchester United option falls through.

Evra was meant to be going to Juventus too. Seemed like a straight forward deal, which seems to be held up possibly until Juve play ball.

Juve have wanted Nani for ages as well. Maybe he'll be a bargaining tool. United have said to SSN that they won't enter a bidding war though, and will only do business if Vidal himself wants United too.

Juventus probably have a Vidal protege in their squad already. Paul Pogba is probably all set to be even better than Vidal in the coming years, which softens the blow a fair bit. They probably need to replace Pirlo in the near future more than Vidal. I suppose that depends on if Pogba is at Juve for the long haul. I imagine he isn't, but they'll get SILLY money for him in a year or two anyway.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Man United must be looking at more defenders than have been publicised?  All I've really seen is the Vermaelen one that can't be the only option.

Or was Blind linked after he played well for Holland?

United were being linked with Hummels, though I've not heard so much about that in the last few days.  I've also heard De Vrij (and probably every other Dutch defender) being linked with them.  I'm surprised more teams aren't interested in De Vrij because he looked really good in the World Cup.

Loads of stuff on Twitter suggesting that Juve have sanctioned Pogba to Chelsea and Vidal to United with fees agreed, even though Conte was allegedly promised no star players would be sold, so he's gone. Didn't he also leave Bari due to broken board promises?

If they lose both players plus the manager in one summer, they are totally buggered.

It's another nail of mediocrity hammered into the coffin of Italian football, especially if, as reported, they're going to replace him with Massimiliano Allegri. For God's sake, Luciano Spalletti is available!

Word on the internets is that Conte might be keen on the Italian national team job. 

United under Van Gaal:

De Gea

Rafael - Smalling - Jones - Shaw(?)

Herrera - Vidal - Kagawa

Mata

Rooney - RVP

Jeepers.  Not sure whay's going on in that midfield: only one out and out CM.  I agree with Joda, Smalling and Jones or Evans and Jones should be allowed to thrive now, and Van Gaal is good at working with young CBs.  He just got a team of young CBs to 3rd place in the World Cup, FFS. 

Man United have to be better this year, they actually have some quality in Midfield for the first time in years.  Kagawa, Rooney and Mata in the same team wont work though.  He'll have to juggle them in and out of the squad.

Michael Owen has predicted Arsenal out of the top 4 again this year and Liverpool in.  For like the 3rd/4th year in a row.  Keep it up Michael, throw enough shit against a wall and all that.

I think United will sign a centre back and Carrick will play.

De Gea

Rafael - Smalling - XXX - Shaw

Carrick

Vidal - Herrera

Mata - Rooney

RvP

Width from full backs, with Carrick stepping in to protect the defence. Fluid front three with Mata, Rooney and RvP. Kagawa will be swapped in and out depending on fitness/games/injuries.