aberdeen-music

The improve your musicianship thread 2014

Chris

The reason is that everything should be 2 notes apart to ensure the chord is satisfying.

If you have three children and you are going on a long journey, you will know that sitting them with a space between each child is the best way for an harmonious journey.  Don't sit them in seats 1,2, and 3.  Sit them in 1,3 and 5 and they won't rub up against each other and annoy each other: that's harmony.

FFS. Who are you talking to? Can you read?

I don't have problems with either notes or intervals. I understand them perfectly well. That's why I explained them at length in the posts above. Similarly, you brought up "Hendrix chords", in reply to those posts, in which I did not mention "Hendrix chords" at all. I suspect you were referring to the sentence (a joke) "Right, Christ (Hendrix), chords already", which, if so, demonstrates a lack of basic reading comprehension. None of your last several posts has made any sense in relation to any thing any one else has posted. It's like your carrying on a conversation with an imaginary friend in the middle of the thread. Amazing.

Getting pissy after you jumped in to a thread to show off is a bit silly.....

No one asked you or Robin to get involved and demonstrate your mad theory skills, I was talking about how a practical lesson helped me more than reading from a book. Robin can be excused as he's probably trying to drum up some teaching business. You were just being a bit of a dick. As usual.

I'm getting pissy because Robin is repeating my posts back to me, explaining to me the same things I've just finished explaining, or misquoting my posts and using it as an excuse the explain the same. Again, I'd love to know whose "questions" he's been answering, otherwise. As I said, his posts have been seemingly entirely random otherwise, and completely counterproductive to anyone reading.

I also didn't "jump into the thread to show off". The stuff I talked about has been mentioned multiple times - specifically people not knowing which chords to play next, and not knowing what they're doing when playing funny, made up chords of which they like the sound. This is why I'm still able to name-check who's done so. It's not "mad theory skills", it's basic, practical stuff, even if it needed a lot of space to explain on paper.  

I never learned through theory either. Most of what I described I learned or figured out after coming up with chords or progressions I couldn't make sense of, or figure out where to take. Same issues as others have described in the thread and thus why I advocate learning it.

Again, retorts to Robin weren't any kind of debate about theory, as people seem to think. I was annoyed with him replying to my posts saying things like (I quote): "You said that you have difficulties with intervals". No. No, I didn't.

Well none of this is helping me with my binary code riffs.

1101010101010? That bit about the Jaws theme again...  :up:

*clears throat*

That would be a 5th chord - AKA power chord - in this case G5. The 3rd fret, 6th string is the G, root note. The first one "in the stink" (nice) is the fifth (in this case, D). Here it's one string and 2 frets up, but you'll find going up 7 frets on the 6th string will get you to the exact same note. The pinkie note is just another G, an octave (12 frets worth) up.

If the stuff posted before was tldr, here's a shortcut or two.

Most will be familiar with the extended shapes of - low to high fingerings - 355433 (G major) and 355333 (G minor). Note that there is only one note's difference between the two. This is the 3rd, 3 fret's worth up (for the minor) or 4 for the major. Shift it slightly, say up to 355533. The third has been replaced with a fourth to give a Gsus4 chord (the basic version of the chords Moon Moon mentioned). These are similar to power chords (neutral) but more sophisticated sounding - they're the arpeggiated chords in the intro of Black Hole Sun, for example. You could then remove the pinkie to give 353533. The second root/octave has been replaced with a minor 7th, and you have G7sus4. So hopefully that shows how things can easily be made more interesting.

• 3 months later...

Well there's only a month left of the year so how's everyone getting on?

So the goal is to learn to sight read.  To begin with I'm going with doing it on the mandolin, it's my new obsession and has less notes to learn than guitar. Plus I'm far too stuck in my ways just now on 6 strings, I'll cross that bridge later.

I made great progress at the start of the year then life got in the way as usual and I've spent the second half of the year selling one house, moving into another and preparing for the arrival of a baby so haven't devoted as much time to music as I wish I could have.

Having said that I'm fairly happy that given a piece of sheet music for a fiddle tune I can sit down with it and muddle through it on the mandolin. So as a basis for me progressing, improving and building a repertoire on the mandolin it's been a success and I feel like I understand a lot more than I did this time last year.

How's everyone else doing?

I want to be able to noodle harder and faster. My benchmark has always been Matt Freeman - I want to be able to do that kind of soloing. My pop/slap technique is pretty solid but I'm just not fast enough to get where I want to go with it. Whenever I try to speed up my hands seem to tense up and just become completely useless. I also want to get my fingerpicking improved a bit for playing some acoustic type stuff on the side.

xx

I think some of my noodling is a littler harder and faster, but not the progression I had hoped to see over the year. With any of that.

xx

I've been using many of the videos on this channel to jam over

https://www.youtube.com/user/NowYouShred

there are many good quality tracks that just play the chord progressions over and over so you can practice improvisations and blues phrases.

They also put on onscreen prompts so you can follow the progression with different flavors 

http://youtu.be/GS9MSHqYe6I?list=UUB5UyVmGFCOMkVjB6Z2Zq0A 

My chord theory is pretty bad - coupled with our approach to songwriting means it's easy for me to get lazy and just play octaves when i'm not sure where to go next.

I'd like to take the time to sit and actually understand how chords work so we can make more complex sounds.

Got a month off work coming up, any suggestions on Chord Theory books?

Also, i'd like to be able to actually use some of the electronic kit i've got (ableton and tenori-on) for playing live. Chord Theory first though.

Took lessons, lessons were better. Now I know things and stuff.

I'm aiming to improve my backing vocals. It's something that I've tried to work on myself, but until I learn to do project my voice properly, I'm just going to continue hurting my throat. Hoping to get some lessons booked.

Took some singing lessons, enjoyed them and learned a lot. My posture and technique had been all wrong, so it didn't take long for me to start noticing a difference once that was rectified. Having a lot of fun chipping in with backing vocals, which I'm now doing a lot more frequently and have felt motivated to try writing some lyrics too.

Took some singing lessons, enjoyed them and learned a lot. My posture and technique had been all wrong, so it didn't take long for me to start noticing a difference once that was rectified. Having a lot of fun chipping in with backing vocals, which I'm now doing a lot more frequently and have felt motivated to try writing some lyrics too.

Who'd you get lessons from? You noticing a big difference? I've always thought about it but never taken the leap! Xx