aberdeen-music

Singer/Songwriters

ca_gere

Most singer/songwriters make me cringe and walk the other way. Even the words make me go red with embarrassment for some reason. They immediately remind me of this (painfully slow intro/build up followed by an internal 'stars in their eyes' moment where you decide how good their voice is)

Then I'll hear the odd one that just gives me goosebumps and I'm reminded of how beautifully pure the simple combination of a voice, a guitar and a good song can be. Then I think i'm too harsh on these wishy washy songsmiths and that I should give some a chance.

What's everyone's opinion on them (and I know the term is a bit loose) and who do people recommend checking out?

Most singer/songwriters make me cringe and walk the other way. Even the words make me go red with embarrassment for some reason. They immediately remind me of this (painfully slow intro/build up followed by an internal 'stars in their eyes' moment where you decide how good their voice is)

Then I'll hear the odd one that just gives me goosebumps and I'm reminded of how beautifully pure the simple combination of a voice, a guitar and a good song can be. Then I think i'm too harsh on these wishy washy songsmiths and that I should give some a chance.

What's everyone's opinion on them (and I know the term is a bit loose) and who do people recommend checking out?

I quite like a good singer/songwriter, my favourites include:

John Wesley  - http://www.john-wesley.com/ - occasional sideman with Porcupine Tree

Jo McCafferty - not all of her stuff sounds complete as like many singer/songwriters much is a stop gap until she can do it with a band, but stuff like Chiar Daca Ma Duareh wouldn't work as anything but one voice, one guitar

Kitchen Cynics - Alan's work has some of the best storytelling lyrics around

Steven Page - Although I prefer his stuff with the BNL his solo stuff has a great charm to it

• Upvote 1

Like everything there's good and bad examples.  There's a fair number of singer/songwriters that make me cringe and I can appreciate why the term would turn people off.  However loads of great ones in the folk, blues and country worlds:

Kelly Joe Phelps

Kris Drever

Tim O'Brien

Rachel Sermanni

Dick Gaughan

Alasdair Roberts

Thanks for the suggestions. My Girlfriend will occassionally put on a plinky plonky track that will slip into my consciousness and I'll ask her what it was but I very rarely listen to an all acoustic album so i'm not familiar with many. 

It's true that the quality seems better when the genre is more niche. The cringey types are your Newton Faulkners and your Damien Jurados. Actually, Damien Jurado is/was pretty good.

I don't count your visionary multi-instrumental artiste types in this singer/songwriter description (beck, foetus, etc)

Everything Mark Kozelek has touched is pretty golden to my ears; eponymous material and the Sun Kil Moon records will be of particular note if you're looking for singer-songwriter stuff; Red House Painters was predominantly band-based, although still excellent and worth indulging in. Truly affecting music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kozelek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svmM_jC3Ev0

He stops partway through this song to reproach a loud talker: "Can someone give that guy a valium or something, please??"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grf38QzDoAU

• Upvote 2

William Elliot Whitmore, fantastic voice

This guy is the best. So entrancing for just a man and a guitar. I saw him support Converge, of all people. He started off slow, singing in a low, gentle register, which had all these hardcore kids scoffing. Then he just ripped into it. Silenced everyone. So badass.

• Upvote 1