aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

Been listening to lots of hippity hoppity lately.

71GwnyZ%2BmNL._SL1400_.jpg

Scroobius Pip - Distraction Pieces

Love this record. Thoughtful lyrics, great music with some cool pop-rock influence in there. Amazing.

9/10

81NzJqyL8IL._SL1294_.jpg

Childish Gambino - Camp

More great lyrics. Brutally honest stuff, a lot of though-provoking stuff about feeling stuck in the middle ground, too white for the black kids and too black for the white kids. Great, great record.

10/10

travis_barker_cover.jpg

Travis Barker + Misc. -  Can a Drummer Get Some

Pretty shit, really.

2/10

51MlZxO9I9L.jpg

Notorious B.I.G. - Greatest Hits

Didn't know where to start with Biggie, so went for Greatest Hits. Really solid stuff, I love the music here. Has  a really cool, pop/funk-driven feel. Like Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye in places. Bit heavy on the misogyny in places, but some really insightful and interesting stuff here. Will be listening to more.

9/10

Wu-TangClanEntertheWu-Tangalbumcover.jpg

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang-36 Chambers

Good, minimal beats, focused energy and really tightly put together. Seems to lack a little substance in some places, but I really enjoyed it.

7/10

51sne9Cls0L.jpg

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

A little too sound-scapey for my taste. I prefer more minimalism or more aggression. This wasn't my cup of tea stylistically the sort of thing I tend to gravitate towards, really. A great record that I just didn't enjoy

5/10

xx

If you're looking to get into Biggie, get Ready to Die (completely essential) and Life After Death (about, eh, 60% essential). The rest of his posthumous stuff is complete cash-in garbage.

Quoted for truth. Life After Death has some of his best work on it, but if it were a single disc it would be a classic. Agreed about the posthumous stuff.

Edited by Lemonade Sparkle

Yeah, Life After Death definitely has some of his best jams on it (and his absolute best, IMO -- "Kick in the Door"), but it gets pretty farty when Sean Combs (Diddy, or whatever he's calling himself this week) gets involved. Ready to Die is an undisputed pillar of New York hip-hop.

If you liked that Gambino album, Stroopy, try "Because the Internet." I didn't like "Camp" at all, but BTI was pretty nifty.

I'm not quite sure how to react to a post rating scroobius pip and and childish gambino albums higher than 36 chambers and black on both sides.I don't feel good about it.

Stroopy, I think you might prefer Mos Def's The Ecstatic more.

https://youtu.be/WEpcweXVJh8

Haha, I should note that my interest in hippity hoppity is very much still in its infancy so my opinion is (more so than usual) that of someone who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about!

xx

Oh yeah, I've also been listening to lots of stuff by Akala and very enjoying it. Since I listened to a big stack of albums in a row it's hard to saw which I enjoyed more than the others, but I don't think there's a bad record out of Thieves Banquet and Knowledge Is Power 1 & 2.

xx

I see no issue with preferring newer stuff to the classics. Rappers have generally gotten better and more inventive, and it can often make a lot of the 80s/early 90s stuff sound a little dated. The newer stuff may not have had as much of an impact on the genre overall, but it can be a more engaging to listen to, I find.

I honestly don't really care much for Public Enemy anymore. I appreciate "It Takes A Nation of Millions...", but if I want to listen to a hip hop record, it probably wouldn't be in the top 50 that I put on first. That archaic style of rapping just doesn't really excite me. I also find Flava Flav unlistenable. Chuck D is the boy, though.

I'm still a big fan of 36 Chambers and will gladly listen to it front to back, but if I've got a hankering to listen to hip hop and I've got my iPod or the whole of Spotify to choose from, I'm probably going to pick 20 or 25 over it first.

I don't care much for Public Enemy. My hip-hop spectrum is pretty limited if I'm honest, and it's stuck firmly in the 90s. I'd like some recommendations for newer stuff please. if I'm in the mood for hip hop I usually pick from one of the following:

Snoop Dogg - "Doggy Style"

Snoop Dogg - "No Limit Top Dogg"

Dr Dre - "The Chronic"

Notorious BIG - "Ready To Die"

Notorious BIG - "Life After Death"

NWA - "Straight Outta Compton"

Eazy-E - "It's On 187um Killa"

Wu Tang - "36 Chambers"

GZA - "Liquid Swords"

Nas - "Illmatic"

Arrested Development - "3 Years 5 Months 2 Days"

Tupac - "All Eyez On Me"

Tupac - "Me Against The World"

Ice Cube - "Amerikkka's Most Wanted"

Lil Kim - "Notorious KIM"

DMX - "And Then There Was X"

Xzibit - "40 Dayz & 40 Nightz"

Oh yeah, I listened to Tupac - Until the End of Time, too. Loved some of it but I just struggle to really get into it. I think I might be on the same page as Soda here where I'm just more into the modern stuff. As for recommendations LemRas, Scroobius Pip and Childish Gambino got my biggest thumbs up. I did check out Because The Internet too and it's a great record but I still prefer Camp - I was able to get into it a little more, follow the lyrics and it felt like he was telling a story.

I enjoyed The Ecstatic, but probably just about as much as Black on Both Sides - I can appreciate that it's a good record, just not something I'd be in a rush to listen to.

xx

I'd quote SvJ but I'm using Internet Explorer, so I can't.

Hip-hop, as a genre, did not start producing timeless music until the 1990's, IMO. There are a couple of exceptions (BDP's first few albums, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, to name a few), but for the most part, it sounds incredibly dated. To be expected from a genre in its infancy, of course, but it's very difficult to go back and throw on an early LL Cool J or Run-DMC record and think "wow, this sounds great," especially after years and years of genre development.

It's difficult to go back. I didn't get into hip-hop until I was in my mid/late teens (about 12 years ago), and a lot of early (1980's) production sounds thin and lifeless to me. I'm pretty sure Eric B's beats sounded ground-breaking at the time, and they likely still sound great to those who lived through the era, but it doesn't connect with me. The influence shouldn't be discounted, but I've no reason to listen to Run-DMC's self-titled joint (1985) over any El-P record, for example.

For me, things started getting seminal when groups like EPMD, De La Soul, Gang Starr and A Tribe Called Quest started breaking through, but 1994-96 was the absolute peak.

Ultimately the genre has grown immensely and is a lot more diverse than a lot of people think. I appreciate all forms of hip-hop, and can easily listen to a Raekwon record, something by Aesop Rock, and a Juicy J album in a row. I was drawn towards more abstract forms of hip-hop when I first got into the genre, and things like 36 Chambers didn't really click with me until years later, so I can totally relate to Stroopy's tastes in this thread.

tl;dr: blah, blah, blah, hip-hop, nobody else gives a shit.

On-topic: today I listened to the new Czarface record and had an amazing time.

but it's very difficult to go back and throw on an early LL Cool J ...and think "wow, this sounds great," 

I'm with you on everything except this.

LL Cool J became a parody of himself as a smoove luvva r&b type as the years went on but ... 14 shots to the dome is a stone cold classic.

This track is as good as anything from the rest of the 90s IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6A74ZRI5Y0

I'm with you on everything except this.

LL Cool J became a parody of himself as a smoove luvva r&b type as the years went on but ... 14 shots to the dome is a stone cold classic.

This track is as good as anything from the rest of the 90s IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6A74ZRI5Y0

Definitely agree to disagree. I can't mess with any of his output anymore, expecially post-1992.

On-topic: today I listened to the new Czarface record and had an amazing time.

I checked out Every Hero Needs a Villain yesterday and had a great time too!

For the record I have no problem with someone not loving the classics. I just think Childish Gambino is incredibly shit.

And just the album title "because the internet" makes me want to punch him. 

I really like his stuff, but I totally get why some people fucking hate him!

xx

Since this has turned into the Hip Hop Thread mk. II and the hip hop gurus have united, can anyone recommend stuff along the lines of Immortal Technique? That guy is mad as hell, and I don't think he'd bat an eyelid at the prospect of pumping me full of bullets if I even glanced at him awkwardly. I need more totally unhinged, aggro as fuck hip hop. I want to feel like I'm just being yelled at by a psychopath (or group of psychopaths) who want me dead.

Aggro hip-hop? Get some Onyx in yer ears. They're proper stupid, but Bacdafucup, Shut 'Em Down and especially All We Got Iz Us are awesome slags of dumb, primal aggression.

M.O.P. Listen to Warriorz. Amazing production and two complete loons yelling into the microphone like boisterous knee-crappers.

Ice Cube's first two solo albums are absolutely essential.

Sean Price! Any album will do, because they're all pretty much the same. Pretty much all this guy does is rap about how great he is at rapping, and how he's going to fuck you up.

Scarface's first album, Mr. Scarface Is Back. He has two borderline classics in his discography (The Fix & The Diary), but this is his most unhinged.

Dead Prez, Let's Get Free. Hardcore, militant, pro-African, anti-state classic.

I lot of people recommend Jedi Mind Tricks within this mould. I fucking hate how Vinnie Paz raps, so I can't really endorse them, but you might like them -- loads of people are really into them.

Want some more modern sounds? Denzel Curry spits like a motherfucker. His last two albums are good.