aberdeen-music

Lauren Mayberry (CHVRCHES) blogs about online misogyny...

Adam Easy Wishes

..."lets guess who'll die this year and get points for it so I can make a spreadsheet" was what Lucky Rathen was thinking.

Regards the celebrity dead pool thing, if I thought Nelson Mandela was checking aberdeen-music and reading it I might be shamed of myself; and I have avoided people who are terminally ill and I really respect (or rather, such as in the case of Terry Pratchett, taken them off after the first year when I realised the slight thrill one gets from scoring points). But I doubt he is, and I've largely scored points from murderous (and very old) men snuffing it...

...which I'm not sure even matters. I wouldn't read it the way Ca_gere does but rather as Jack and Victor more or less did in their Winter Sweepstake: it's just morbid humour/fun based on something that will happen to everyone (it's at least non-discriminatory...). If you must have a moral equivalent, we'd have to be sending death threats to our chosen celebrities to be the equal of those victimising the Chvrches singer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Doesn't matter whether it's a male threatening a female, a male threatening another male, a female threatening a male or a female threatening another female, those comments/threats are fucking wrong on many and varying levels. Guaranteed if one of those anons were to face her offline, they wouldn't say or do any of those things. Well, there is the odd chance you'd get some stalker who would try but generally they're using the internet to voice their own frustrations in life. Please don't get into, "men are usually naturally physically stronger" and other bullshit like that, I've heard it all before.

The only reason she can't just ignore it is because she's a public figure and I'm assuming these nut jobs know where she lives - she can't risk them actually showing up at her house so has to make it known in case the Police need evidence of when it started in the future. Why is there even a debate about whether she should have told anyone? She shouldn't have to put up with that just like any other woman or man shouldn't. Joke or not, if she feels uncomfortable and afraid for her safety it has to stop. End of.

One more thing, if anyone mentions the fact she may have done something to initiate the remarks, you can fuck right off.

• Upvote 1

If a man ever made a sexist remark, or worse threat, against me while on stage I would pause, then proceed to point that little cowardly shit out to the entire venue and even if I didn't get him thrown out he'd feel more uncomfortable than I ever did in the first place. We have to make these sick people known, how dare anyone even say this girl should keep quiet about it or is using it for attention. I hope it never happens to me because they may actually leave the show with no teeth.

• Upvote 1

I dont think anyone has said any of what you've just posted, not in the mannor you seem to be suggesting.

I don't understand... The article was about the lead singer of the band getting rapey messages online and one user mentioned that she should just ignore it. I responded. Then one user asked if anyone had a similar experience and I stated what I would do if it happened and that I hope it never does, because it's something that has to be stopped before it progresses.

"Please don't get into..." and "If anyone mentions..." do not mean I've accused anyone of saying something if that's what you mean. Not looking for an argument here dude, just voiced my opinion because folk are often allowed to get away with this sort of shit and I fully support the girl in opening up about this online.

• 1 year later...

And argued about by people saying "it's just the internet, man up" which is less of a good thing - but handy for trimming my friends list on social media...

Agreed, I have no interest in being friends with anyone who thinks like that.  I'm getting really tired of this Eternal September.

• 3 weeks later...

CHVRCHES are alright. I like a few of their songs. I did a search a while back and it was my impression that most of their online critics simply find the band a bit shit. The band made a lot of noise about not promoting CHVRCHES as Lauren Mayberry and a couple of backing blokes and that is exactly how the act seems to be panning out, so that has caused cries of hypocrisy which (in an obtuse way) has tied into the whole situation. A lot of the rest are playing up to the label Lauren Mayberry has given them. It's not dissimilar to the Streisand effect.

I expect Ms Mayberry is being genuine about the whole thing, but these complaints do tend to coincide with her music releases too. Ultimately, she's a pop singer in a band I like a bit, so I'll take her pronouncement that society should change to her benefit with the due consideration it deserves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...