aberdeen-music

British pubs enforce smoking ban

Untitled

Here's a scenario....

Nip outside for a fag. Can't take drink with you as it's against town by-laws.

Drink gets spiked.

Get bum-fucked

World ends..... or something.

All because of Mr McConnell.

Sue

well, if ya have friends with ya it's unlikely ya drinks gonna get spiked

and if ya drinking on ya own....

well, im not going there

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry' date=' but I don't understand any no smoking legislation? Passive smoking has never had a proven link to cancer. So how can they implement this?

Anyone who says that there is a proven link is lying.[/quote']

There have been new research articles in the BMJ supporting the link to cancer for the past 2 months. The fact is Doctors are now eating their words from 20 years ago when they said there was no proof, because now they are coming up with substantial evidence that there is a strong link between passive smoking and lung, throat and oral cancer.

Just my 2 cents.

Have people been reading this right? It says smoking at the bar, not in the pub.

And smoking at the bar was supposedly outlawed fucking ages ago, hence why plenty of pubs have signs saying "Please do not smoke at the bar." Or at least that's what I've always thought.

Fuck passive smoking, other people smoking makes me stink like a fucking chimney. That's a good enough reason to ban smoking in pubs in my book! And if you have contact lenses, smokey atmospheres really dry your eyes. I know it's hard to take but she has made her mind up.

I think its a bit shit to be honest but then i smoke so i suppose it would. To me it seems a bit discrimate to smokers is it not? I thinks pubs will suffer because of this after all i would say a large amount of people who regularly use pubs smoke and enjoy to smoke whilst having a drink. Take away them being able to smoke whilst they drink and they wont go to the pubs. Fair enough starting smoking is a choice but for some people they need to smoke or they can become irritable and so on, removing their choice to do this could cause an increase in violence.

Sometimes i dont think non smokers realise how bad a craving can be especially when drinking.

I think its a bit shit to be honest but then i smoke so i suppose it would. To me it seems a bit discrimate to smokers is it not? I thinks pubs will suffer because of this after all i would say a large amount of people who regularly use pubs smoke and enjoy to smoke whilst having a drink. Take away them being able to smoke whilst they drink and they wont go to the pubs. Fair enough starting smoking is a choice but for some people they need to smoke or they can become irritable and so on' date=' removing their choice to do this could cause an increase in violence.

Sometimes i dont think non smokers realise how bad a craving can be especially when drinking.[/quote']

Hmmm........ doesn't convince me.

It may be discriminating against smokers, but is the status quo not discriminating against non-smokers? For non-smokers, the choice is 1) Go out and put up with other people's smoke, and the coughing and stinking clothes/hair caused by it, or 2) stay in and be a sad bastard. Why should I suffer just so other peole can kill themselves?

I was watching the Scotland game in the pub yesterday. All was fine until some twat in front started puffing away, and as usual, it all went straight into my face. Then some dick started puffing cigars... :rolleyes:

Pubs sell drink, not fags. People go to pubs to get pished, not to smoke, surely?

However, the one good thing about folk smoking in pubs is I get to see if a girl is a smoker or not, and can then decide whether or not to try it on with them.

But anyway, I would go for properly ventilated smoking rooms/areas or something personally.

Kissing smokers is mingy.

The clothes/hair thing I don't get. Doesn't anyone was clothes after they've spilled pints down them/sweated on the dance floor/vomited on their legs on a night out?

After a night out, yes.

But if I've just been in a pub to watch football, then I'm nae putting a pair of jeans in the wash if they've only been on a couple of weeks........... ahem.

Pubs sell drink' date=' not fags. People go to pubs to get pished, not to smoke, surely?

[/quote']

i think you'll find most pubs sell cigarettes and cigars. And yes of course they go to get pished but my point was that if you smoke then you enjoy a cigarette more when you drink. I dont know why but you just do.

But fair enough i agree it cant be nice for people who dont smoke but surely a comprimise is the answer as you said a ventillated area like they have at the airports.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

This old chestnut again. Here's the deal: non-smoker goes to pub. Non-smoker fully aware that pub is likely to have smokers in it. Non-smoker still chooses to go to pub. Non-smoker moans about horrid, nasty, smoky, stinky bad people smoking, but still keeps going to pub. Message given is that non-smoker not like smoke, but doesn't not like it enough to stop going to pub. Non-smoker indirectly consenting to bad people smoking at pub, and not be bothered enough about it to stop going to pub. If smoke so stinky and revolting and harmful to health, surely non-smoker would stop going to pub.

Yeah, I'm a smoker, all right.

This old chestnut again. Here's the deal: non-smoker goes to pub. Non-smoker fully aware that pub is likely to have smokers in it. Non-smoker still chooses to go to pub. Non-smoker moans about horrid' date=' nasty, smoky, stinky bad people smoking, but still keeps going to pub. Message given is that non-smoker not like smoke, but doesn't not like it enough to stop going to pub. Non-smoker indirectly consenting to bad people smoking at pub, and not be bothered enough about it to stop going to pub. If smoke so stinky and revolting and harmful to health, surely non-smoker would stop going to pub.

Yeah, I'm a smoker, all right.[/quote']

I know, why don't we ban non-smokers? They're fucking daft bastards, going places where people might be smoking. Let's ban THEM from public places!

I wouldn't be surprised if this whol voluntary thing was a rouse by the liscencing trade to prevent the non-smoking bill coming into effect because they "fear change".

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I know' date=' why don't we ban non-smokers? They're fucking daft bastards, going places where people might be smoking. Let's ban THEM from public places![/quote']

The point is that surely if people found something so uncomfortable, then they would choose to take steps to avoid it. They already know there's going to be smoke around, so that's where the hypocrisy comes in.

I should point out that I agree with a compromise solution, better ventilation would be a step in the right direction.

only if you wear a leather jacket and brylcreem' date=' or a [b'] lounge suit with dark glasses though...

I'm sorted then.

On topic, the whole ban is fucking ridiculous, fair enough ban it in restaurants if you must, but in a bar or pub, it's utter nonsense.

Think of all the elderly non-smokers in the world who do not have passive smoking related illnesses, did they all just stay out of smokey bars their entire life or wear gas masks?

Even people who died from or contracted illnesses "related" to passive smoking who never smoked, you cannot pass the blame entirely onto passive smoking. I read a great article against the ban in the Daily Mail of all papers, it detailed several independent reports which have led to the discovery that various Goverment health organisations have rigged,altered,edited and in many ways messed around with studies on smoking.

There is NO conclusive evidence to link passive smoking to cancer etc despite what you're told, There IS lots of conclusive evidence to link car fumes to Asthma and Cancer.

And aside from all the statistics, it's a FUCKING PUB, people have being smoking in pubs and bars since the year dot, I blame this whiney student nonsense. If people can go into bars, get bladdered, start fights and then piss,puke and shit (yes I've seen it being done), all over the streets I have to walk on, I can have a cigarette in the bar that their in.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'm sorted then.

On topic' date=' the whole ban is fucking ridiculous, fair enough ban it in restaurants if you must, but in a bar or pub, it's utter nonsense.

Think of all the elderly non-smokers in the world who do not have passive smoking related illnesses, did they all just stay out of smokey bars their entire life or wear gas masks?

Even people who died from or contracted illnesses "related" to passive smoking who never smoked, you cannot pass the blame entirely onto passive smoking. I read a great article against the ban in the Daily Mail of all papers, it detailed several independent reports which have led to the discovery that various Goverment health organisations have rigged,altered,edited and in many ways messed around with studies on smoking.

There is NO conclusive evidence to link passive smoking to cancer etc despite what you're told, There IS lots of conclusive evidence to link car fumes to Asthma and Cancer.

And aside from all the statistics, it's a FUCKING PUB, people have being smoking in pubs and bars since the year dot, I blame this whiney student nonsense. If people can go into bars, get bladdered, start fights and then piss,puke and shit (yes I've seen it being done), all over the streets I have to walk on, I can have a cigarette in the bar that their in.[/quote']

Bang on once again, Ryan. And what about the sheer sense of relaxation as you light up? Bliss. All the talk is of damage to physical health, I prefer to focus on the inestimable good smoking has on my mental health.

I know....fucking non smokers need to face up to the facts' date=' you're not wanted in bars, its a shame your favourite band are playing at that bar....heres a hint, take up smoking.....

errr.....or dress like this I suppose...in fact this might become the standard issue on most bars doors in the future

[img']http://www.safecity.nsw.edu.au/mask.jpg

The moment of first inhalation is truly blissful Jake, like the breath of an angel (although a possible cancer giving angel of some sort).

And if your favourite band is playing at a bar, you can't honestly say you wouldn't go because it was smokey! That's absolutely obscene.

Bang on once again' date=' Ryan. And what about the sheer sense of relaxation as you light up? Bliss. All the talk is of damage to physical health, I prefer to focus on the inestimable good smoking has on my mental health.[/quote']

I disagree, I have been a smoker for several years but Im not now.

Smoking is ace, very true. However, why should people have to have their health damaged by other people?

Jake, yes, a lot of talk is on Damage to Physical health. Quite rightly so! I dont fancy having lung cancer!

Mental health, mmm, nah, its called addiction.

P.S. love ya Jakey ya hairy bastard :up:

The point is that surely if people found something so uncomfortable' date=' then they would choose to take steps to avoid it. They already know there's going to be smoke around, so that's where the hypocrisy comes in.[/quote']

I don't see the hypocrisy. When it comes to going out for a few drinks with friends, then maybe going on to a club, there isn't really much to 'choose' from. If a non-smoker wants a social life, they currently have to put up with smoke.

Personally, as a non-smoker, I know that if I want to go out then I will have to accept the smell and, in extremely smoky places, sore eyes and throat. But I try not to go to pubs which are poorly ventilated.

I'm not sure if I support a total ban though. There should still be an element of choice for smokers.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I disagree' date=' I have been a smoker for several years but Im not now.

Smoking is ace, very true. However, why should people have to have their health damaged by other people?

Jake, yes, a lot of talk is on Damage to Physical health. Quite rightly so! I dont fancy having lung cancer!

Mental health, mmm, nah, its called addiction.

P.S. love ya Jakey ya hairy bastard :up:[/quote']

Ah, they do say that there's none so closed-minded as the converted.

I agree, I greatly enjoy smoking, and you have been known to drunkenly scrounge the occasional roll-up from me!

I don't fancy lung cancer either, but I'll take my chances. I'm not spending my life on an obsessive quest to delay death, I want to enjoy myself.

I feel that the sense of well-being as I light up IS beneficial to my mental health, solely from the sheer relief I feel.

Love you too, you fucking baldy bastard!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I don't see the hypocrisy. When it comes to going out for a few drinks with friends' date=' then maybe going on to a club, there isn't really much to 'choose' from. If a non-smoker wants a social life, they currently have to put up with smoke.

Personally, as a non-smoker, I know that if I want to go out then I will have to accept the smell and, in extremely smoky places, sore eyes and throat. But I try not to go to pubs which are poorly ventilated.

I'm not sure if I support a total ban though. There should still be an element of choice for smokers.[/quote']

OK, I'll have another go. Maybe hypocrisy was a bit OTT, but it's still making an informed choice to go to smoky areas, which on a very subtle level is sanctioning the fact that it goes on. People could choose not to go there. Social life does not begin and end with pubbing and clubbing, well, mine doesn't.

I fully agree with your other points.

OK' date=' I'll have another go. Maybe hypocrisy was a bit OTT, but it's still making an informed choice to go to smoky areas, which on a very subtle level is sanctioning the fact that it goes on. People could choose not to go there. Social life does not begin and end with pubbing and clubbing, well, mine doesn't.

[/quote']

Of course not, although it does play a big part here in Scotland!

:cheers: