aberdeen-music

Guitar Setups

thomasw88

Guest Young Adolesent

ok, sofar we've got

II music -  2 recommendations and 1 not so hot comment

lonelier guitar studios in bucksburn - 1 recommendation

and Fatboy who says he will do it -  whats your background fella?

anyone else?

kinellar guitar studios

I'm quite confident at adjusting intotation and action height myself but adjusting the truss rod terrifies me. It's not even that difficult but some of the horror stories doing the rounds put the fear of god in me when I'm doing it.

I don't think I'd pay anyone to do it for me unless I was having real trouble keeping it in tune and was having  serious inotation issues. 

As you say Colb certain people like their guitar setup in a certain way. Your guitars for example are set with too high an action for me personally, but it's you who plays them, not me.

Wiring pickups and stuff like that is something I have next to zero experience with. I want to do it but I would like a cheap guitar to build my confidence on before doing it on guitars I actually like.

Gonna chime in and say that I got a setup at R&B (a few years back now, mind) but the guitar I took in played like balls, the action was a mile high and it wouldn't keep its tuning for more than about 30 seconds of regular play. It was an absolute shit box.

Setup from R&B - thing played grand (although I wasn't the most experienced or discerning customer, granted) and all the major issues had been worked out. Didn't cost much, either. Around the £20-£30 mark IIRC.

I've also heard amazing things about Kinellar guitars, although haven't worked with them personally. And would give a big +1 to Neepheid suggesting you get on youtube, look for some tutorials and give it a wee try yourself. Just be gentle, and if you make it worse, THEN take it to a pro :).

xx

I think that the best way to sort out the difference in opinions here is to have a street fight.

Say, the union square car park at 10pm tonight. I'll draw a big chalk circle on the ground, two men enter, stripped to the waist, only one leaves. It's only way to sort out who gives the best guitar set-ups in Aberdeen.

• Upvote 2

Guest davetherave

I've been setting up, rewiring and customising my own and friends guitars for years.

I can now quote for work on Electric Guitar repairs and setups if anyone wants to PM me for details.

• Upvote 1

Fine, I'll shove it in dry baby. xxx

You won't make it there because i'll find you first, crack you open like a lobster tail and then make my way to the bro-down where i will proceed to inflict a one-man gang rape on the attendees using your lower intestine as a condom so i don't the AIDS (from Stroopy121, again). Let that be the end of it.

Edited by Alkaline

You won't make it there because i'll find you first, crack you open like a lobster tail and then make my way to the bro-down where i will proceed to inflict a one-man gang rape on the attendees using your lower intestine as a condom so i don't the AIDS (from Stroopy121, again). Let that be the end of it.

i want pics.

I've been setting up, rewiring and customising my own and friends guitars for years.

I can now quote for work on Electric Guitar repairs and setups if anyone wants to PM me for details.

I've bought three guitars from Dave.  He can make a cheap guitar play good and a good guitar play better..... :)

• Upvote 1

Great rant. I particularly like how you moan about being charged £25 for a setup but then recommend someone who charges more.

i never claimed i had a setup done i just didnt agree with the price i was charged for basically something that was already wired already.

nothing i said in my original post was meant to be taken as any negavitiy i was just stating my opion when it comes to quality of work and prices charged.

To be fair it is a bit of a shit rant, it reads

"i wanted my guitar fixed, but i was too lazy to do it myself, i then got annoyed when someone charged me more than i wanted for doing it for me."

He never said it was a half arsed job, just that he didnt like getting charged so much for doing something he should have just done himself.

Lesson learned - dont be so lazy. If you asked me to tie your shoes id charge you for it, far more than it would cost you to do it for yourself.

as i said in my original post i was too busy to do it myself, and to be fair isnt the services meant to be for people who havent got time or know what they are doing ?

That wasn't my point, my point was as stated. I don't remember quoting Liam either? Regardless, if he thought he was getting better service and value for money then surely paying more is better no?

i never claimed anything was better value for money but i will agree id rather pay more for something i know is going to be better than somewere else for cheaper.

Personally? Yeah I would, but Liam sounded as if he was particularly dissappointed about the price he was charged.

Reading his post again however I notice the £25 wasn't for a full setup but for a simple wiring job. £25 does seem quite steep to solder a jack plug but to be fair you should ask how much a job is going to cost before getting the work carried out. We also don't know the full story. Did the guitar need a new jack plug? Did the low-cost prewired pickguard need extra labour or extra parts to get it working correctly?

I also don't know how fixing someones guitar and charging them for it makes you 'the most arrogant backstabbing bunch of guys' either.

it didnt have any parts changed it was litually just a prewired pickguard with the ground soldered to the jack tip and the pivkup switch to the jack.

my comments regarding backstabbing was in conjuction with the fact i think there customer services are disgusting. There have been many ocasions were i have heard them bitching about customers wo have just left the store.

Kinneler Guitar Studios in Blackburn.  Graeme Mennie.   He makes guitars, repairs and sets them up all to perfection and has done so for many many years.

He used to to the set ups for Bruce Millers before he went on his own.  He plays in a band and has done for most of his life so he knows the "real world".

I have had numerous jobs done by him and found him to be excellent and on par with the legendary Alastair Watt (R.I.P.)

He will tell you exactly the cost up front and do exactly as you ask him to.

http://www.kinellarguitars.co.uk/

I have no affiliation with either him nor the company other than having known him for over 30 years.

Edited by Country Thang
  • Upvote 1

Guest davetherave
Flaneur  Posted Yesterday, 08:59 PM

I've bought three guitars from Dave.  He can make a cheap guitar play good and a good guitar play better..... :)

I can vouch for Dave's work. He did a fantastic job on rewiring and re-assembling my strat for me.

Thanks guys :)

i never claimed i had a setup done i just didnt agree with the price i was charged for basically something that was already wired already.

nothing i said in my original post was meant to be taken as any negavitiy i was just stating my opion when it comes to quality of work and prices charged.

it didnt have any parts changed it was litually just a prewired pickguard with the ground soldered to the jack tip and the pivkup switch to the jack.

my comments regarding backstabbing was in conjuction with the fact i think there customer services are disgusting. There have been many ocasions were i have heard them bitching about customers wo have just left the store.

I admitted that I had read your first post incorrectly. I also agreed that it was pretty steep for such a simple job, however the point I was making was that we didn't know the full story. We didn't know exactly what work was carried out and how long it took. £25 is quite expensive for the work you have described but you should of asked in advance what it was going to cost. 

Your inital post was full of negativity and claiming otherwise is madness.

Do you really think that in every shop you leave the staff sing your praises? I work in retail and the main topic of the day is usually an awkward or annoying customer. I imagine a music shop is full of people trying expensive guitars for an hour or so, asking staff loads of questions, buying two plectrums then leaving. That would do my nut in.

I've always found their customer service very good. They are attentive, have good product knowledge and anything they are unsure of they do their best to find out the answer for you.

Chances are if you are the topic of some shopworkers lunchtime moan you probably deserved it. People who work in shops are just people. Moan about something meaningless and trival long enough and they are going to get pissed off and treat you like a prick.

Be nice to shopworkers. You'll be amazed at the difference in your treatment.

Edited by PhiI
  • Upvote 2

Looking for a good guitar tech to do some work on guitars (electric and acoustic).

Any recommnedations? Aberdeen or stonehaven(ish) would be perfect

Getting this back on topic, Rich Lewis in Bridge of Don.  He does anything for me that I can't handle myself.  He's done some very tidy electrical work for me (pot replacement on my G&L El Toro, wiring modification on my L-2000 to give single coils) and made a superb bone nut for a Yamaha BB450 that I was restoring.

He also made this:

mess01.jpg

Look like this:

02_all_800.jpg

• Upvote 2