aberdeen-music

Hockey thread

Soda Jerk

NYR @ BUF

Nice to finally see a win in regulation again. Enroth starting the game did scare me a bit but he was solid and should really have had a shutout, but Leopold played the worst D I've ever seen on our own PP. Sabres PP is seriously atrocious. 11.8% going into the game and leading te lead in short handed goals against...boom, no PP goals and one SHG against us. Terrible. Luckily Foligno came to play and scored two and Vanek showed he's a pure goal scorer off an amazingly long breakout pass off the boards by Pominville. No fights despite John Scott in the lineup despite the Rangers trying to get something going a few times...unsurprisingly when Scott was not on the ice. YAY WINNING IS FUN!!

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently blowing a kiss at someone now gets you an unsportsmanlike penalty...

...oh well. Liked this quote from this article.

Great work, Ott. You're a real hero and an asset to your team.

Update: Ott scored the game-winner in the shootout. Great work, Ott. You're a real hero and an asset to your team.

Edited by Teabags

Jarome Iginla been traded to the Pens. So has Brendan Morrow and Douglas Murray (Scottish as fuck name...from Sweden).

I wonder who's going to win t he fucking cup now...

I really hope they don't. I'd love to see all these high price rentals blow up in Ray Shero's face and see them all go to other teams next season when the cap is lowered.

Fuck the Penguins.

• Upvote 1

I thought that Iginla might have been Bruins bound.

I really need Vancouver to start giving up points. We have a game in hand and are on the same points (division leading right enough though) but it is too close for comfort. I don't want the same as last season to happen - a massive drop in form and position in 60 days. This time there is 16 games left to play, but until we are mathematically safe, I'm going to be pretty nervous. I guess the thing which - at least at the moment - looks to be in our favour is that half of those are against Dallas, Columbus, Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary. They haven't been doing so well (again, to date).

It is just a shame that we've already played our 4 games against Vancouver. At least we got 4 points from them I suppose.

detroitisdumb_medium.gif

Goal. Roofed it. Howard no chance.

I had to switch it off at 4-0. It was uncomfortable.

Yeah it was awful.  Some fans are going mental about how "bad we are", which is a pretty spoilt opinion I think.

We've been in the playoffs and contenders for so many years so of the fans are just so expectant of the team.  This is clearly a rebuilding year, you cant just replace players like Lidstrom and co.  It looks like we should still get into the playoffs as one of the lower seeds so it's not even like it's that bad a season.

The other opinion is blaming Howard and I know I was critical of him early in the season, but he's been pretty good recently.  Even keeping us in some games by himself, he's just a victim of the defence that's in front of him at the moment.  He's getting no help in some games.

I know this is neither here not there but it is NHL related so I'll post it here.

Via the Kevin Ware leg break (college bball player horifically broke his leg during a game the other day in case anyone didn't see it) I came across the Clint Malarchuk accident. I couldn't believe i'd never seen it or heard about it before.

Holy fuck! I've never been so horrified at a piece of sporting footage. Absolutely chilling. Read up about the guy afterwards... turns out he shot himself in the head years later and survived and is now a coach.

I know this is neither here not there but it is NHL related so I'll post it here.

Via the Kevin Ware leg break (college bball player horifically broke his leg during a game the other day in case anyone didn't see it) I came across the Clint Malarchuk accident. I couldn't believe i'd never seen it or heard about it before.

Holy fuck! I've never been so horrified at a piece of sporting footage. Absolutely chilling. Read up about the guy afterwards... turns out he shot himself in the head years later and survived and is now a coach.

Yep. Happened in Buffalo. He'd only been traded to Buffalo that week...

Also happened to Richard Zednik, again in Buffalo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGK5mj0K9s0

Horrible.

Back to trade deadline, first bit of non-News; Kiprusoff will not accept a trade and will not report to a new team if traded.