aberdeen-music

Hockey thread

Soda Jerk

I think I should have watched the Islanders. Bruins game was poor. 3rd period got tense towards the end. I was rooting pretty hard for a Jets goal, because the Bruins can get to fuck. Bruins were better though. They lashed against the post 5 or 6 times. Probably should have won in regulation time.

Can anyone get the picture-in-picture to work? When I click on another game as in instructs you to do, it just loads the new game, instead of opening it in the smaller window.

I think I'll stick to watching games the day after from now on. I'm fucking knackered this morning after watching Sabres @ Leafs till 3.

good game though. Sucks for the Leafs to have 2 goals waved off but they oh well. Only one of them could have been a goal but the whistle got blown. Also, nice to see Kaleta address the situation immediately after Miller got even slightly bumped. Scott also had his first fight as a Sabre but fell to his knees weirdly, then laughed about it. Odd.)

I forgot to block one of my hockey friends on facebook, as he babbled on about the Wings game last night. I don't know the score, who I now know who wins. I was going to watch it tonight. Dick.

Apparently newboy Brunner scores a ridiculous penalty shot to win the shootout

I haven't bothered with Xbox yet either. I'm using proxys an awful lot, so I won't be able to watch much on the Xbox. You won't be able to see any of the playoffs just about without proxys, unless you wanna be 48 hours behind. Boo-urns.

If I can get the GCL app on my Smart TV, I might try and setup my TV so it think its from somewhere else (Can I get a "FUCK YEAH" for Mongolia, people?!?!) and see if that works.

I was texting Callum all last ngith while watching the Sabres game as he was watching the Red Wings game.

Sabres-Leafs spoiler

The Sabres currently have more goals against waved off than goals against allowed. LOL!

Wings-Jackets spoiler

Brunner's move is RIDICULOUS. It's a total Pavel Datsyuk move. Holy fuck. Lashoff scored in his first career game too. But the Wings captains came through to tie it up late in the third. Still...a team like the Red Wings should NOT be having to dig themselves out of a hole in the third against Columbus after a terrible first game. Something needs shaken up in Detroit. Sure Lidstrom is gone, but jesus christ.

Haha aye Mongolia is doing me proud just now!

I watched highlights of the Wings and of the Sabres too. :) Not keen on watching many games live during the week unless they are on at about 6pm here! Maybe some 10pm too but otherwise I'll probably just delay til the next day!

Preds are at the Wild tonight. If we get off to a 3-0-0 I'll be mega happy!

If the NHL are tracking where their viewers are coming from, they must be pretty chuffed at getting a minority market errupting out of nowhere in Mongolia.

Mongolia will be getting one of the overseas NHL games in no time.

I'm kind ahoping they're not, in case they start banning accounts for bypassing blackouts. But why would they? That would be stupid. Unless Premier Sports pressure them cos they find out or something.

Watched the Rangahs and Islanders games this wknd. Never been a huge hockey fan but as with most sports I can easily watch it. I clearly dont know enough about the various tactics and why they do certain things (putting the puck around the boards at odd times, etc) but i'm gonna make an effort to follow the NHL and learn a bit more this season. I've plumped for being an Islanders fan. They're supposedly moving to Brooklyn at some point so I look forward to seeing some games when they do. Of all the sports fans in new york, the Rangers fans are by far the most vocal. If you're knockin about town you definitely know there's a game on.

Along with the NBA, I think hockey is very easy to watch and get engrossed in without knowing too much about it. I still don't have a full grasp on the rules, as alot of the calls are based on discretion, and just how much the officials are willing to tolerate, rather than the letter of the law, otherwise there'd be stoppages every time the puck was played. That makes it pretty exciting at least, as the game flows more than alot of other sports. It's worth getting into. Definitely my favourite of the big four sports in North America.

I'm kind ahoping they're not, in case they start banning accounts for bypassing blackouts. But why would they? That would be stupid. Unless Premier Sports pressure them cos they find out or something.

Yeah I hope not too, but I don't think it should show that anyway. The proxy only changes the DSN identity rather than the IP, so it should still show that you're connecting from the UK.

I do think the Blackouts in the UK are a bit harsh, considering Premier Sports isn't available to everyone, and also time differences mean that if you don't catch it Live in the early morning on PS, it means you can't even watch the replay at your convenience on GCL until at least 2 days later. Most games seem to become available again at midnight, so realistically you're not getting to watch the replay of a blackout game until 3 days later. At least in the States, the blackouts are because the game is televised nationally or locally, at a reasonable local time.

I do think the Blackouts in the UK are a bit harsh, considering Premier Sports isn't available to everyone, and also time differences mean that if you don't catch it Live in the early morning on PS, it means you can't even watch the replay at your convenience on GCL until at least 2 days later. Most games seem to become available again at midnight, so realistically you're not getting to watch the replay of a blackout game until 3 days later. At least in the States, the blackouts are because the game is televised nationally or locally, at a reasonable local time.
Completely. 48 hours is ridiculous. I don't even have our TV plugged into an aerial let alone sky. Thats why I bought GCL in the first place.

Along with the NBA, I think hockey is very easy to watch and get engrossed in without knowing too much about it. I still don't have a full grasp on the rules, as alot of the calls are based on discretion, and just how much the officials are willing to tolerate, rather than the letter of the law, otherwise there'd be stoppages every time the puck was played. That makes it pretty exciting at least, as the game flows more than alot of other sports. It's worth getting into. Definitely my favourite of the big four sports in North America.

I'd agree, it is highly watchable. Especially when compared with Baseball or the NFL. There's just too much going on that you need to know before beginning to enjoy it whereas you can really just take in a hockey game and know fuck all. As naff as it sounds, I'm often just impressed with how well they skate, never mind the puck handling, etc.

Edit: I'll add, kinda in defence of the NFL, that although it has a learning curve, part of its appeal is in the rules. Literally every game you learn something new about a ruling or something.

Brunner!

damien-brunner.0_standard_352.0.gif

Not to take away from the move...cos it was amazing and he should probably have a broken ankle for even attempting it, but I'm surprised he put it in the bottom corner. Bobrovsky ALMOST got it with his toe, but he'd have been screwed if he had roofed the shot (which Datsyuk probably would have done) though, on that note, he risked not getting up and over the pad if he roofed it.

Actually, I'll shut the fuck up. He scored, it was a game winner, and it was a sick as fuck move only 3 days into the season. Wonder if Linus Omark or Datsyuk can top that.

Philly are 0-3-0 after losing 3-0. What the fuck? They're meant to be legit cup contenders. And they're pretty much the exact same team as last year. Terrible performance. Columbus and the Islanders are doing better than them. Sure, it's only 3 games into the season, but that's 6 points they've missed out on which could easily be the difference between 8th and 9th place in this short season.

Wild related:

Backstrom. What the fuck was that all about?! Granted, Parise's pass for Spurgeon was a bit off (as they didn't seem to know what each other were up to) but he could have put the puck anywhere else rather than into Erat! Either that or he could have just stayed put. Hrmm.

Ah well, it is still early in the season and only 2 points, so I won't get too annoyed about it!

Wings related:

Brunner scored Detroit's only goal yesterday. I'm impressed with him. Good job they have him there and that he has stepped up considering the amount of injuries plaguing them otherwise!