aberdeen-music

MetaLOLica.

Teabags

Has anyone actually told Lou Reed that he is a shockingly bad singer?

Bad, like Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen? If Lou is bad and X Factor folks like Alexandra Burke and Leona Lewis are "good", then I guess I must just like "bad" singers.

Unless you are down with the kids, and "bad" means good. In the same way that "shaking your booty" means to wiggle your arse.

Anyhoo, somebody already said it, Transformer is fucking brilliant, Berlin very good and the one from the 80s with Dirty Boulevard is good too.

• Upvote 4

Bad, like Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen? If Lou is bad and X Factor folks like Alexandra Burke and Leona Lewis are "good", then I guess I must just like "bad" singers.

Unless you are down with the kids, and "bad" means good. In the same way that "shaking your booty" means to wiggle your arse.

Anyhoo, somebody already said it, Transformer is fucking brilliant, Berlin very good and the one from the 80s with Dirty

Boulevard is good too.

That has to be the biggest twist of words ever :)

• 1 month later...

Why did this happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQAvA64mss

I'm not offended or angry, just truly baffled. Who on earth said to them that this would be a good idea? Really? Nobody said "hang on a minute, that sounds a bit shit." Grim. Who looks more out of place, Lou Reed or Kirk Hammett?

That Later... performance was just incredible. I have never laughed so hard at music since the first time I heard Doberman. I can't wait to see the full show on Friday.

It wasn't like they were even playing the same song, or were part of the same band. Hetfield was clambering all over the drum kit all rock-star like, while Lars perpetually gurned away as he played out of time as always, Kirk looked gloriously awkward and Lou mumbled away. Surreal. I actually woke up this morning and thought I'd dreamt it, but no, it really happened!

The record itself sounds even better (has anyone actually heard it? I can only imagine that it's going to seriously disappoint fans of Lou, Metallica and music). According to Wikipedia it's based on some obscure play (of course) and is mainly comprised of spoken word pieces by Lou Reed over stodgy, chuggy instrumental Metallica passages (the description alone was enough to make me giggle away for a good while). The best part is that it's almost 90 minutes long and spread over two discs. The last track is 19 minutes long. They are truly spoiling us. I'd like to think that it's a detailed explanation of why exactly those involved felt it was a reasonable idea to let this project materialise, followed by a apology for producing "music" which can only really be described as genuinely worse than Shutterspeed.

• Upvote 2

The only reviews I've read of the album have absolutely slated it. I just checked and it's sitting at 37 on metacritic, which is actually a bit higher than I expected.

And is it just me or are there one or two people who don't realise that the song in that Jools Holland video is not from the Lou Reed/ Metallica album?

I watched it the other night and was in disbelief. The members of Metallica were playing what reminded me of an Open Air song. I'm sure that's what they used to be called - they were an Aberdeen band who used to 'borrow' riffs from other Aberdeen bands and play then with enough competence to get by but not enough to inspire. Lou reed was just rambling shite. Absolute nonsense!