aberdeen-music

Video Games that are both New and Good

Soda Jerk

I WANT A NEW NORMAL FUCKING TONY HAWKS GAME. One button press to jump, super combos and grinding on helicopter blades. What's wrong with that?

Loved that whole series up until the last few. I completed Tony Hawks 2, 3, 4, Underground, Underground 2, Wasteland, & Skateland, then I played Project 8, and I fucking hated on that game so hard I got to level 3 and just stopped playing the fucking shit-blizzard and pretty much gave up on the whole series. I'm not interested in getting the ones with the skateboard controller either. I don't want to be dicking around in my living room with a fucking skateboard. In the arcade perhaps, not at home.

On a different note: when's the new Batman game out?

Loved that whole series up until the last few. I completed Tony Hawks 2, 3, 4, Underground, Underground 2, Wasteland, & Skateland, then I played Project 8, and I fucking hated on that game so hard I got to level 3 and just stopped playing the fucking shit-blizzard and pretty much gave up on the whole series. I'm not interested in getting the ones with the skateboard controller either. I don't want to be dicking around in my living room with a fucking skateboard. In the arcade perhaps, not at home.

On a different note: when's the new Batman game out?

November I think. Around the time of MGS HD aswell. Need to start saving...

I remember Tony Hawks started getting pish when I was forced to do a mission playing as some schmuck on a segway. Tony Hawks 4 was prime gameplay wise. No fucking about. Just skating the fuck out of a prison island.

THPS2 will always be number one in my heart though. The School, Venice Beach, the Half Pipe in the middle of the sea.

Basically, they should mash 4 and 2 together with some Viewtiful Joe style graphics and no-one would have to worry about selling me a computer game ever again.

• Upvote 1

Not really feeling LA Noire so far. Its set up in a sandbox style, and whilst there is a HYOWGE map on offer, you don't really seem to have the freedom to explore it at your will. It feels like the game is merely a film, and you get to interact in certain parts, by chasing a baddy, punching him up, shooting at him or quizzing him, but no matter what, or how many retries, the outcome is still the same. Picking stuff up off the floor gets a bit droll quite quickly. It has the potential to be so much better than it is.

Aesthetically, it looks incredible, and the delivery of the cut scenes is incredibly convincing. Certainly helps to use pro-actors. I certainly hope the next GTA if there is one, follows a similar suit, but gives the user a bit more of a say in the outcome of situations.

I got bored of LA Noire in no time. Completed it in about 3 days I think. Planned on trading it in to Game straight afterwards, as I got it days after release, to get some sort of money back for my time and still haven't done it. Not played it since mind you. It's far too repetitive. Picking up clues all the time is dull as fuck after the third "mission".

Going back to sports sims I'm really enjoying the Fifa 12 demo. Not so much the NHL demo but I think that's just because I don't kow what the hell I'm doing.

Fifa 12 seems to have a much improved physics engine with better interactions between the players as they challenge each other. Like the tap x to grab the shirt of the player with the ball. Some people are complaining about the tactical defending but it doesn't seem all that different to me.

It's just more difficult than it used to be. It simply used to be Press and hold A to close down, and Press and hold B for a AI controlled player to close down, so you'd simply just hold down A and B until you get the ball back. Now you have to let the other team have possession and mark the space rather than go straight in for the ball high up the pitch, actually timing your tackle rather than just running into them, which I think is pretty awesome. EA can't really win though, as it's a huge overhaul of the defensive system, yet people are complaining about it. Keep it the same as it used to be and it's just Fifa 11 with updated stats, which would also be complained about.

Shooting is better too. Smashing them in from distance is great fun, and using the finesse shot to curl it in from an angle is sweet. David Villa is unstoppable.

I've never been particularly bothered with Fifa (not since FIFA 97). I played it a lot on the PSone but never made the move to the PS2 games. I picked up FIFA 10 for the PS3, played it a wee bit then got bored shitless with the odd controls and repetative gameplay so i haven't bothered picking up another one since. I don't play much online so is it the online stuff that really makes the FIFA series now? I'm not sure i want to be verbally abused by a 9 year old homophobe or be winning and some spotty oik chuck a bitch fit and quit the game. That's the entirety of my online experience games-wise across PC and PS3.