aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

We had some bloody good attacking players too. Robert, Solano, Bellamy and Shearer is the best NUFC attacking foursome of my lifetime, and I have a hard-time choosing between Shearer/Sir Les and Shearer/Bellamy for my favourite Toon strikeforce.

What I'd give to have a player of Nobby's quality in the XI today though. What a wonderful little winger. Great skill, great delivery, great set pieces, great bunch of lads, great trumpet skillz. Beautiful. In his pomp he was linked with Real Madrid. I think he was genuinely world class. I was aghast when we sold him to Villa, delighted when we re-signed him and sad when we sold him to West Ham as a fading wingback. He came back to train with us briefly when we were in the Championship and I desperately wanted us to re-sign him. Even though he was long past his sell-by date, it's Nobby Solano ffs. Still playing for Hartlepool and recently started his coaching career with Newcastle Benfield. Love that guy.

• Upvote 1

Last time we were in the Champions League we had a backline of Andy Griffin, Andy O'Brien, Aaron Hughes and Olivier Bernard. Among their deputies were Wayne Quinn, Robbie Elliott, both Caldwell brothers and Marcelino. Jermaine Jenas and Kieron Dyer played central midfield. What a shitty, shitty group of players.

I'd happily have Hughes back, shoul dnever have gone IMO.

So what does this actually mean for Rangers? I take its not the point yet where they need to start cancelling contracts and stuff?

The article Hugh_Jazz posted on the previous page gives a pretty good idea of what they can expect. All seems to be dependent on the results of the tax case but as they've taken these measures I think it would be safe to assume they have caught wind at least part of it is getting called in. If they are required to pay the full amount then it will be very likely that'll be the end of yer Rangers. According to the article on the Scotsman site that is the likeliest outcome.

Enjoying a bit of schadenfreude at the moment. If you think the SPL is shit at the moment, though, see what happens if Rangers do go out of business. Celtic would dominate the league every year. It'd be an unprecedented monopoly that'd make the league even more predictable than it already is. The lack of competition would probably even drive bored Celtic fans away, and that's without considering the financial implications.

Enjoying a bit of schadenfreude at the moment. If you think the SPL is shit at the moment, though, see what happens if Rangers do go out of business. Celtic would dominate the league every year. It'd be an unprecedented monopoly that'd make the league even more predictable than it already is. The lack of competition would probably even drive bored Celtic fans away, and that's without considering the financial implications.

Different teams would be playing in Europe yearly as a result though and gaining cash that they wouldn't normally have. TV rights would be more evenly spread throughout the rest of the league. There would be more chance of a team from Glasgow not winning both the other cups and the money that goes along with them. I think it would act as a leveller. Celtic would make less money due to not having the same gates as before in old firm games.

It's not as clear cut as Celtic would get all the money and win everything. If anything it would breed more complacency and less income for Celtic.

Different teams would be playing in Europe yearly as a result though and gaining cash that they wouldn't normally have. TV rights would be more evenly spread throughout the rest of the league. There would be more chance of a team from Glasgow not winning both the other cups and the money that goes along with them. I think it would act as a leveller. Celtic would make less money due to not having the same gates as before in old firm games.

It's not as clear cut as Celtic would get all the money and win everything. If anything it would breed more complacency and less income for Celtic.

I'm interested in seeing how the voting system, particularly with the financial side of things, is going to work. As you mentioned this could act as the leveller Scottish football need to allow the clubs outwith the OF to become more competitive if they can get a larger control of how to distribute revenues. It's going to be a seriously dodgy period with the clubs being too reliant on the OF and being so hand to mouth with money but if we can see through the next two or three years without any casualties then it could be a better situation in the long term.

Or maybe I'm being optimistic and we're all in the shitter. Either way, Rangers can fuck right off.

well I'm sure another Rangers will surface from the mess but a big club has never gone completely under yet... Portsmouth also in the brown stuff (again), I find it depressing football clubs cannot keep their houses in order. Be interesting to see how it unfolds.