aberdeen-music

Lucky Rathen considers himself British first and Scottish second

Oedo 808

Guest Gladstone
I've always considered myself British first and English second. If I'm on holiday and someone asks where I'm from I'll say the UK.

That's because nobody in the entire world likes the English though ain't it ;)

That's because nobody in the entire world likes the English though ain't it ;)

Lololololol!

No.

I've never cared in the slightest about rivalries between Scotland/England/Wales/NI. Maybe it's because I grew up in Northumberland so I felt as much of affinity with people in the land to the north as to the people in the land to the south.

This calls for a wikilink:

Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Great Britain" is the largest island in the British Isles, which includes Orkney, Shetland, Hebrides, etc and Ireland.

"United Kingdom" is the sovereign state of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Glad that's that one cleared up o_O

United Kingdom Venn Diagram Grey's Blog

Guest Gladstone
Lololololol!

No.

I've never cared in the slightest about rivalries between Scotland/England/Wales/NI. Maybe it's because I grew up in Northumberland so I felt as much of affinity with people in the land to the north as to the people in the land to the south.

I wasn't serious by the way...

It was a dig at certain Scottish people who think everyone pure loves our Scottish banter and loves us when we're abroad, but absolutely hate anything English.

I've grown up listening to my Granda telling me stories about his travels abroad and foreign people not being too warm to him when they think he might be English, but the minute he tells them he's Scottish, they're his new best mate.

My Granda is a nice guy, and quite switched on, and a practising Christian, but by fuck he's a racist bastard at times without even meaning to be...

Scottish first, British second. I've no qualms whatsoever about putting 'British' on forms though, but I did put 'Scottish' on the census because that was an option.

One guy in Niagra Falls thought I was Canadian. Then, upon finding out I'm Scottish asked if I had any pound coins, and if they weighed an entire pound. I just smiled politely until he gave me my cheeseburger.

Should be in Pet Hates, but anyone who refers to the English as "guffs" should be shot.

Speaking of that, you know in True blood people who shag vampires are Fang Bangers? Well my girlfriend is from England and I was trying to think of a term for myself along those lines..

I came up with 'Guffbluffer'.

I have no idea what bluffing has to do with it.

nationality means nothing to me. Where you're born is only important on your passport, where you are from is all about where you were raised and what culture you're brought up with really. Some people will be very militant about where they are from, when they maybe only lived their until they were a few months old before moving here or something. I'm scottish though, then british, because scotland is in britain.

inception.

English people ensured that we have David Cameron as our PM. I try to avoid associating myself with them.

I am, of course, joking. In part. I have never referred to myself as British outwith filling out forms. Over the years I have spent heaps of time in Norn Arn, Wales and England and I have loved all of them for different reasons; however, I don't feel an intrinsic bond with the countries.

In this day and age (I hate that phrase but it is fitting) the idea of nationalism is pretty much outdated. People live everywhere and anywhere, people the world over support foreign fitba teams...in fact, fitba is pretty much the only scenario in which I consider nationality.

I love Scotland and being Scottish. This also makes me British, that's also fine by me. I don't really care too much.

Would it be a sweeping assumption to say that English people are more proud to be British.

At the end of the day we're a small island :)

Scottish first, British second, European third etc

Northern Hemispherian?

Like Christy I only consider it when it comes to fitba in which case 'mon the Scotland, fuck England and I don't care about NI or Wales. I don't really like other sports where we compete as UK so have never supported Britain, or GB or whatever. Likewise England could thump Scotland at rugger, cricket and tiddlywinks every year and I wouldn't care.

I was once on a night out in Lowestoft and met some prick with a Union Jack T Shirt who told me he voted BNP. He then went on to tell me how much he hates the Jocks. I found that very confusing.

National pride is a weird concept to me. I remember my old man going on about how proud he was of all that Scotland has offered the world and the good things Scottish people have done. I suppose this is OK as long as you're ashamed of all the shitty things done by Scottish people but it doesn't seem to work that way.

If asked where I'm from or what my nationality is I'll say Scotland/Scottish.

Forms I just put British. I did used to put Scottish but somewhere along the line decided to stop as I feared it made me seem like some sort of raving Scottish Independence mentalist.

I was in Torremelinos on hols years back and started frequenting an Irish bar as the Guinness was so good it was as if it had been extracted from the teat of the hottest woman in existence with alcohol-dispensing breasts, the Irish barman was convinced I hailed from the same area of Ireland as him, which was bizarre.

Does anyone actually have any first hand experience of this happening? I've always thought it was kind of bullshit, but maybe I've only ever met clued up foreigners.

It happened a lot to me in the US they all thought it was in Ireland.

When my forms were being processed at my employment over there, they also thought that I was from Ukraine because it says UK on my passport

During my frequent visits to Philippines hardly anyone i talked with knew Scotland even existed and if they did a lot thought it was in London. I gave up on saying I was from Scotland and usually just said UK which a lot of people thought was in USA.

Confuscious! o_O

A cashier in a Manila Starbucks asked my wife if Braveheart was a true story though.

A cashier in a Manila Starbucks asked my wife if Braveheart was a true story though.

I used to work with a Filipino guy and he said to me in conversation once that he thought the guy who came up with that story must have made a fortune :D

(which to be fair, is true, as it's hardly a serious historic work)

I used to be a total mad nationalist as a youngster, a trait I picked up from my parents who are both nationalists - there are about 4 framed "Declaration of Scottish Independence" things hanging in their house, both my folks harp on about Scottish independence around election times, my dad flies a saltire outside the house on election day, I attended SNP rallies every weekend from before I could even walk (seriously, there's pictures of me in a buggy with a yellow and black rosette on) and even down to little things, like Saturday night we were watching World's Strongest Man, and Terry Hollands was doing quite well, only for my mum to comment "I dinna want a bloody Englishman to win". Growing up in that environment rubbed off on me, understandably, and at 18 I was the guy that goes on hoiday with a suitcase full of Scotland t-shirts and hanging a saltire towel over the balcony, and whenever I visited England I would just go on about what a bunch of cunts they were. I had a dartboard with a picture of the queen in the middle. I used to kick up a stink every time David Coulthard won a race and had to stand under the Union Jack and sing God Save The Queen. It was all due to upbringing. As I matured I came to realise that nationality means precisely fuck all (there are good people and assholes in every country), and acting like that made me a bit of a dick. As I started to form my own opinions instead of continuing an exagerrated version of my family's, I realised more and more that I supported the Union and the Monarchy, and that I felt part of the United Kingdom first - to me I'm British, and I'm from Scotland in Britain. I feel the world should be uniting, not seperating, and I don't want to break up the Union. If there's a referendum, it'll be a firm no from me. Nowadays all that "abody loves the Scots!" pish just makes my balls ache. I don't own a single item of clothing with a saltire on it, my one concession being a generic dark blue rugby top with a thistle on it.

/cool story bro.