aberdeen-music

Lucky Rathen considers himself British first and Scottish second

Oedo 808

I consider myself equally both. I couldn't give a Fuck about the royals but I share common culture with English people, Welsh people and the other ones. Nationality to me has very little to do with sovereignty or jurisdiction. It's more to do with less important things like fish and chips and queing for the bus.

I had an in depth conversation with an English guy the other day about the politics involved in playing rounders in p.e. at school. I'm Scottish and he's English but for that moment we both couldn't have been any more British.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. I don't see the slightest contradiction in feeling British and Scottish in equal measures, or feel it compromises my patriotism for Scotland in anyway.

I'm the same. Just don't see the point in being "funny" about it. My parents were both born in England, though my Dad's family is Scottish, and i was born in Scotland. Can't see the point in nitpickicking about it. I'm as much Scottish as English, heritage-wise anyway, so i don't have a problem considering myself both British and Scottish.

Scottish is a subset of British so I'll be Scottish first then British. Or maybe I'll be a British Scot....and a human man. Do you consider yourself a human or a man?

I don't really know. I've never thought a great deal about it. I put Scottish on the census.

If someone abroad asks me where I'm from, I'll say Scotland, similarly will say Scottish if they ask what nationality I am.

That said, I don't at all have a problem labelling myself British, because I clearly am, and where that is the sensible answer (i.e. immigration forms and similar), then that's what I will write/say.

Agreed with all. I hate people who are 'Scottish' which means they hate English for no apparent reason apart from they saw an old Mel Gibson film.

If someone asks me I'll say Scotland. Of course, I'll get annoyed if someone asks if that's in England, not because I dislike England, but simply because Scotland isn't in England.

I also consider myself British. Because I am. No amount of Scottish pride or anti-englandism can mean that I wasn't born in Britain. So of course I'm British. It's like being both a New Yorker and an American.

Although our version is better and more original.

Agreed with all. I hate people who are 'Scottish' which means they hate English for no apparent reason apart from they saw an old Mel Gibson film.

If someone asks me I'll say Scotland. Of course, I'll get annoyed if someone asks if that's in England, not because I dislike England, but simply because Scotland isn't in England.

I also consider myself British. Because I am. No amount of Scottish pride or anti-englandism can mean that I wasn't born in Britain. So of course I'm British. It's like being both a New Yorker and an American.

Although our version is better and more original.

Does anyone actually have any first hand experience of this happening? I've always thought it was kind of bullshit, but maybe I've only ever met clued up foreigners.

Guest Gladstone
Does anyone actually have any first hand experience of this happening? I've always thought it was kind of bullshit, but maybe I've only ever met clued up foreigners.

I've never heard anyone asking if Scotland is in England, but have heard "Britain" referred to as "England" loads of times.

I know some people get riled about it, and think it's soooooo ignorant etc etc. but I bet you they wouldn't know the intricacies of every country / group of countries in the fucking world. Why should anyone from (e.g.) Nigeria give a fuck whether Britain and England are two separate things.

What is Great Britain? I.e. what do you call it? It's neither a country nor a continent. Is it called a "nation" or a "state"? I know it is a member state of the EU.

Great Britain is nation made up by 3 countries. United Kingdom is Great Britain + N.I.

Says so on my passport.

Nope. Great Britain is the largest island of the British Isles (the one we're on). All the other islands and NI make up the UK with this.

So it's the name for the land, nothing to do with the name of the nation.

Nope. Great Britain is the largest island of the British Isles (the one we're on). All the other islands and NI make up the UK with this.

Yes. You're right. I forgot about Orkney and that. Better not say that when I go up there this summer.

Although my passport does say "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Guest Gladstone
To be honest, whether I'm British or Scottish is pretty much the least of my worries.

I'm with you on this. I used to be all "I'm fucking Scottish, which means I'm ace because everyone loves Scotland / Scottish people. British? Get to fuck, I've nothing to do with those fuckers." etc etc.

But now, I couldn't really give a fuck. If someone asks me, I'll say I'm Scottish because I am, and on official documents where it asks for nationality, I say British, but only because I think that's what I'm supposed to say.

EDIT: Not sure what all the swearing is about in this post - maybe it proves how Scottish I am or something.

If someone asks me, I'll say I'm Scottish because I am, and on official documents where it asks for nationality, I say British, but only because I think that's what I'm supposed to say.

Same with me, but I also put British so whoever reads the form doesn't assume I'm some nationalist fuckwit with blue paint on my face and Braveheart posters on my walls.