aberdeen-music

AV System

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't completely understand it if im honest, but it seems like if we switch to alternative voting then perhaps it could be a very easy system for the large parties to manipulate to their advantage?

I would have thought the opposite, AV gives more of a chance to the smaller parties who normally wouldnt have a chance of winning seats, hence why the Tories are so against it and the Lib Dems for it, it gives the smaller parties a fairer distribution theoretically, the current voting system means a party could have over 50% of the votes but less than 30% of the seats iirc.

I don't completely understand it if im honest, but it seems like if we switch to alternative voting then perhaps it could be a very easy system for the large parties to manipulate to their advantage?

I support it, and actually I think it will be better for the smaller parties, rather than for the bigger parties, are there will be less need to vote tactically. Like a few years ago in the Scottish election I really didn't want SNP to win, so I voted Labour to try and stop it happening. I didn't want to vote Labour, I wanted to vote for someone else, and I effectively chucked my own vote in the bin so I could oppose the SNP. Under the AV system at least I'll be able to vote the party I actually want, and then in that situation I could put Labour in as a second choice. Less wasted votes, less tactical voting. Though I do agree it's a little complicated and I think people may struggle with the concept.

(I admit it, I wanted to vote National Front)

Both good points there lads, i'm going to make sure i've done all my homework research before the election, it just seems like there is so much to take on board. This is a good thread; i think it's refreshing to hear about these kind of things minus the overwhelming influence of the leaflets pouring through the letter box!

Won't this 'helping smaller parties' business mean that the likes of the NF or BNP will be able to get more seats though as the number of racist wankers steadily increases?

xx

Quite possibly, but if that's the will of the people who vote for them, that's what we should have to accept. If 20% of a constituency vote BNP, however abhorrent we may find their views, they should be allowed to represent those people, that's what democracy is about. If we start picking and choosing which parts to fiollow us depending on what the results are we're no better than those we complain about.

I'm in a safe Labour seat where Lib-Dem and SNP are usually neck and neck for second place, so this would probably be the way to remind Frank Doran that he isn't in the House of Lords.

But I'm undecided. Looks like the 'no's have it, presumably as a kick Clegg proxy.

Perhaps the BNP are against AV in a reverse-psychology ploy for those whose reasoning behind not voting for AV is that the BNP (or similar) have a greater chance of getting in.

Possibly, although one of the main arguments that's been put forward against AV seems to be that it's 'just not British'. Maybe the BNP see themselves as defending Britain from 'immigrant' voting systems.

Possibly, although one of the main arguments that's been put forward against AV seems to be that it's 'just not British'. Maybe the BNP see themselves as defending Britain from 'immigrant' voting systems.

Could be, I expect we'll have to learn Polish to vote next! Stand up for Britain, stand up for VOWELS.

I actually just checked the BNP's statement on AV and it seems that they are against AV but in favour of a fully proportional system. I suspect that they realise that very few people will give their second vote to the BNP and so they'll find it even more difficult to get any seats. So, although AV has its flaws it's perhaps a good way to have a more proportional system that doesn't benefit the BNP.

From what I understand of it, I'm happier with AV. It seems overall fairer and I feel as if I'm getting more of a say by ranking the parties, BNP obviously being the lowest.

I got one of those daft No to AV leaflets, with a crappy image of Nick Clegg and lots of "BNP will win with AV"-type arguments. If anything it just reinforced my support for AV.

I think everyone should read this -

Johann Hari: If you get the X Factor you'll get AV - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

If you believe some of the appalling anti-AV propaganda that's going around (ie, "the BNP will get more seats!!", etc) then you need to get your head examined.

EDIT - Just to say that the concept of AV is astoundingly simple & all you need to do is be able to write 1, 2 and 3.

You can manage that, can't you?

Well, is it even that simple? Both Labour & the Tories use AV to elect their leaders!

They've both got pretty mediocre leaders, so I don't know if that's a great argument (for AV)

Oh, I don't know, I'm all for greater representation in general, just not specifically for the British public because we're so awful.