aberdeen-music

Reincarnation

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

I'm fully aware that many people on here are either very rigidly-minded, or scientifically orientated, so I'm not likely to get much out of this thread aside from cheap jibes, and I'll probably be vituperated quite heavily, but there might be a worthwhile discussion out of this. Who knows.

I was friendly with a girl last year who shared a very interesting story with me about how she felt she may have been reincarnated due to things she remembers experiencing and such like. Her story had quite a succinct impact on me, and I even based a song around the theme.

She linked me to a very moving series of clips on Youtube, following a six year old boy from Glasgow who kept insisting to his mum that he had lived before on the island of Barra. I'll post these clips when I get home tonight (no Youtube access at work).

However, in the meantime, I link you to this story which is a pretty interesting case. Of course, it ties in with my fascination with war, but hey:

James Leininger, Reincarnated WW2 Pilot

Thoughts?

Any stories of your own?

I personally don't believe in reincarnation but I am however hugely interested in the psychological workings of these people who can 'remember past lives'. It's an absolutely fascinating thing to read into and if I remember I'll try to dig out some old articles I've stumble'd on and post them. Look forward to reading that article and watching the yootoob clips when I get home from work too.

xx

I don't necessarily believe in reincarnation, but totally believe in alternate, parallel and intersecting dimensions. I can't put up any articles on it, cos I haven't read any. I can't even put it into words. I've just seen shit when off my face on hallucinogens that's kinda stuck with me and makes me smile from time to time.

Simpleton and fucking cheery about it.

Same. Wouldn't rule anything out, but unlike you Phil, I've never had anyone tell me of any experiences like that, so have nothing to base an opinion in favour of reincarnation on. I certainly do believe there's alot that can't be explained by science, but is written off as poppycock as a result.

Not buying any of that mental Derek Akora wittering though.

Same. Wouldn't rule anything out, but unlike you Phil, I've never had anyone tell me of any experiences like that, so have nothing to base an opinion in favour of reincarnation on. I certainly do believe there's alot that can't be explained by science, but is written off as poppycock as a result.

I went to an evening with Derek Acorah a few years ago, he was doing that thing where spirits were coming up and talking to him via his spirit guide Sam, and he was asking them questions and trying to make a connection with people in the room. I'm pretty sceptical about mediums, so I was keeping an eye out for some of the best known tricks, and right enough a lot of what he did was really obviously bunkum, but at the same time there was some genuinely unexplainable stuff, and some of the things he said to people were frighteningly accurate. There was one that really stuck in my mind because it was a guy that I'd met a couple of times who used to play in a band in Aberdeen (I won't name him for fear of upsetting people) but this guy's parents were in the audience and Acorah claimed to be talking to their son and got some of the stuff really really accurate.

I went to an evening with Derek Acorah a few years ago, he was doing that thing where spirits were coming up and talking to him via his spirit guide Sam, and he was asking them questions and trying to make a connection with people in the room. I'm pretty sceptical about mediums, so I was keeping an eye out for some of the best known tricks, and right enough a lot of what he did was really obviously bunkum, but at the same time there was some genuinely unexplainable stuff, and some of the things he said to people were frighteningly accurate. There was one that really stuck in my mind because it was a guy that I'd met a couple of times who used to play in a band in Aberdeen (I won't name him for fear of upsetting people) but this guy's parents were in the audience and Acorah claimed to be talking to their son and got some of the stuff really really accurate.

A lot of them will do a serious amount of research on members of the audience before the show. They'll know in advance who's going to be attending, maybe even contact local mediums (people who go to these shows and take part are often people who have already talked to mediums and other spritualists) to find out about them. The people they pick out of the audience (or the dead people that are trying to communicate) are rarely random.

Once selected the medium will use their array of basic techniques to fish for answers. They can afford to get loads of their guesses wrong as they can blame the audience member for thinking of the wrong thing or change the parameters of the conversation whenever they want, after all there isn't really a ghost just the medium fishing for hits. People don't remember all the wrong guesses, the misses. They remember the things the medium guessed right, the revelations.

But those are either researched beforehand or based on what the medium manages to get the audience member to tell them during the performance.

Mediums are sick parasites, leaching off people's vain hopes of talking to those they've lost to make money.

I don't believe in reincarnation.

An interesting book to read is 'Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks' by Christopher Brookmyre.

It's basically about a world renowned TV physhic who tries to proove to the world that he's legit by signing up to have all his work monitored by top scientists to have them try to find out if it's a trick. A lot of research went in to it and a lot of interesting stuff is discussed (along the lines of what Chris said) so if you're interested then have a look! Plus, the book is hilarious and Brookmyre is the fucking MAN.

Buy it here for a penny.

xx

Guest idol_wild
A lot of them will do a serious amount of research on members of the audience before the show. They'll know in advance who's going to be attending, maybe even contact local mediums (people who go to these shows and take part are often people who have already talked to mediums and other spritualists) to find out about them. The people they pick out of the audience (or the dead people that are trying to communicate) are rarely random.

Once selected the medium will use their array of basic techniques to fish for answers. They can afford to get loads of their guesses wrong as they can blame the audience member for thinking of the wrong thing or change the parameters of the conversation whenever they want, after all there isn't really a ghost just the medium fishing for hits. People don't remember all the wrong guesses, the misses. They remember the things the medium guessed right, the revelations.

But those are either researched beforehand or based on what the medium manages to get the audience member to tell them during the performance.

Mediums are sick parasites, leaching off people's vain hopes of talking to those they've lost to make money.

Good post. There's evidence of this if you read Will Storr vs The Supernatural, where he's on the set of Most Haunted Live, and he is observing Derek Acorah. There's a funny little twist, and Will Storr very much reveals little details that absolutely underline how much of a bluffer Derek Acorah is. Fucking great book, by the way, if anyone is interested in that stuff. Especially if you're a cynic or skeptic, like me (by that, I mean that whilst I place some creedence in many cases relating to the unexplainable, I always look for a way to call bullshit first).

I would, however, only suggest that mediums who charge money are sick parasites. Those who are revealed to have the ability, yet reluctantly give readings upon request for no charge, are not sick parasites. I had a spiritual reading once. For no charge. And I sat there, revealing only a yes or no when I was prompted, gave absolutely no body language away, and she really struggled to say anything that was relevant to me.

Mary loves dick! Mary loves dick!

watch yvette's face. fuckin love it

sorry, dont believe in any of it apart from maybe a slight inclination towards what teabags said based on a very basic grasp on string theory and the newer theories of the "big bang" (brane theory)

Although it makes for an interesting debate, the reincarnation issue is much like religion in that you end up getting people who are ridiculously, irrationally vehement on either side of the fence, despite the fact that we cannot ever know the truth with certainty.

I think that there is so much that goes on that requires a leap of faith or at least, a degree of openmindedness that does not come naturally to most people.

IMO Occams Razor cannot be applied to subjects that, by their very nature, require a suspension of disbelief. A concession is implicit when discussing these subjects that the obvious explanation (ie hes spikkin shite!) must be put to one side for the sake of debate.

• Upvote 1

Good post Chris, I do agree with a lot of what you said, and I know that the "psychics" use the cold-reading technique of using vague statements and trying to get the audience members to make the connection, and also that people in the audience missing their loved ones will pretty much jump on anything even remotely vague ("An old man who's name begins with B who uses a walking stick? That must be my uncle / grandad / primary school karate instructor etc") and try to think up a way that what the guy is saying will relate to them ("He has a dog with him? Well, my grandad never had a dog but he really liked his neighbours dog, and that's dead so it might be him"). I'm prety certain that most of the TV mediums are at it and it's mostly showmanship, but I do still believe that there are people out there who have the ability.

Good post Chris, I do agree with a lot of what you said, and I know that the "psychics" use the cold-reading technique of using vague statements and trying to get the audience members to make the connection, and also that people in the audience missing their loved ones will pretty much jump on anything even remotely vague ("An old man who's name begins with B who uses a walking stick? That must be my uncle / grandad / primary school karate instructor etc") and try to think up a way that what the guy is saying will relate to them ("He has a dog with him? Well, my grandad never had a dog but he really liked his neighbours dog, and that's dead so it might be him"). I'm prety certain that most of the TV mediums are at it and it's mostly showmanship, but I do still believe that there are people out there who have the ability.

pic.php?oid=AQC7q_HNcAP6UebJGkGCjIVEdRqH6aiKG_q0Z4bF_KXG8yGQeH272IokSVlArLGwqQk&size=normal&usedef=1

"I'm getting the word... nonce."

The new Clint Eastwood/Matt Damon film Hereafter looks at life after death, som einteresting ideas.

Guest idol_wild
Someone in my family passed a few months ago and there was an awful lot of feeling around it because of it was premature, etc. Won't go to far into detail. But my mum and auntie were the most affected and decided to see a medium that was coming through aberdeen, spent 30 for 10 minutes. And he game them nothing but a few vague facts and from what i over heard, blatant guesses. did the whole torro(sp?) cards shit and then just got the next person in. It actually made me feel physically sick to see this fuckwit do this to people. Complete and utter fake, i don't write off belief in these things, i want to believe. a lot of people are at it though.

The general protocol relating to the "Spirit World" apparently dictates that, in the vast majority of cases, it would take well over twelve months for a deceased soul to muster the emotion, energy, and inclination to visit anyone in the "Living World". This extends to spiritual mediums, sceances, and the like. So if close loved ones pass away, there's little point in trying to reach them until at least approximately a year following their death.

Apparently.

I don't necessarily believe all this stuff, I'm just utterly fascinated by it.