aberdeen-music

Blade Runner II

Oedo 808

Look, making a crappy Neuromancer film would be acceptable, especially if Keanu Reeves has no part in it, and I will probably go to see the new Alien films but this is getting obnoxious now. I expect it's in 3D and looks crappier than the original which every 3D package has tried to algorithm since.

• 5 months later...
No! And with Colin Farrel??? I hope it's a joke.

Where'd that come from? (I can't read the original article at work)

Farrel's currently supposed to be starring in a Total Recall remake, which is based on a story by the same writer as the story which Blade Runner was based on. So I think someone's getting confused somewhere.

I have Blade Runner on blu ray. It's not aged very well and isn't quite the masterpiece some make it out to be. However a new film set in the same story universe as Blade Runner could be very cool - without the 80s electro and long periods of nothing at all happening.

I have Blade Runner on blu ray. It's not aged very well and isn't quite the masterpiece some make it out to be. However a new film set in the same story universe as Blade Runner could be very cool - without the 80s electro and long periods of nothing at all happening.

Vangelis isn't exactly '80's electro', but I can see how the soundtrack isn't exactly to everyone's taste. I absolutely love it, though. Every movie should have a John Carpenter/Vangelis/Barry DeVerzon style synth score. EVERY MOVIE.

I don't get why people say 'nothing happens' in Blade Runner, though. It's like a sci-fi Bergman movie; a mediation on memory and the meaning of humanity. It's incredible. I hated as a kid because I wanted it to be Total Recall or RoboCop, but now it's one of my favourite films ever.

There is actually a movie kind of set in the Blade Runner universe. 'Soldier' starring Kurt Russell expands upon some of the universe, but subtly. Soldier - Off-world: The Blade Runner Wiki

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new film since Scott is involved, but to be honest, I don't think he's ever matched Alien, Blade Runner and that Hovis advert.

I don't get why people say 'nothing happens' in Blade Runner, though. It's like a sci-fi Bergman movie; a mediation on memory and the meaning of humanity.

Lots does happen in the film I agree, and those bits are fantastic. But there are long periods in a scene where absolutely nothing of interest is happening. The pacing is terrible though, it needs to be a lot tighter.

I did enjoy the film. The atmosphere and effects are brilliant and it's got a good story. But it's not quite Scott's masterpiece. Personally as far as his films go Alien is much better.

Vangelis isn't exactly '80's electro', but I can see how the soundtrack isn't exactly to everyone's taste. I absolutely love it, though. Every movie should have a John Carpenter/Vangelis/Barry DeVerzon style synth score. EVERY MOVIE.

Yep, I think the soundtrack perfectly suits the movie, it adds a dreamy "otherness" to it.

The 'slowness' of the film allows you to live in the world that Scott has created. It gives you time to take in the surroundings.

Almost every frame shot is beautiful. The lighting is amazing.

The Vangelis score is awesome.

I think I've seen maybe 4 different cuts of that film, enough to have my own theoretical cut in my head - with bits and pieces from each. I can honestly say that the more I've watched Blade Runner the more I've got out of it. I love how the empathy tests are all about animals and animals dying because there are almost no animals left, most life on earth is extinct.

I love how when Pris says to JF Sebastian "I don't have a home," Sebastian looks at her as if to say "WTF you talking about?"

I think one day Scott should just release "Blade Runner: Make Your Own Damned Cut". The original cut before release was over 3 hours long. I'd love to know what was in it.

Guest Gladstone

Confession time.

Whenever I've heard "Blade Runner" before now, I've always confused it with the film "Running Man" with Arnie.

I'm now going to seek out and watch Blade Runner to see what the fuss is about.

I centred my university dissertation on Blade Runner and neo-noir. I'm pretty sure the only reason I passed was due to my dissertation; average intelligence + lack of motivation to study = crap student.

Colin Farrell being associated with Blade Runner II makes me genuinely quite sad. I mean, come the fuck on: he was in Phone Booth! And he tries to have sex with grannies. Never a good quality in anyone. :down:

Confession time.

Whenever I've heard "Blade Runner" before now, I've always confused it with the film "Running Man" with Arnie.

I'm now going to seek out and watch Blade Runner to see what the fuss is about.

Running Man.... now that's a movie!

Some of the best acting of the 80s can be found in this movie.

Guest Gladstone
Running Man.... now that's a movie!

Some of the best acting of the 80s can be found in this movie.

I'm not sure if you're being serious...?

But I remember thinking it was fucking awesome at the time. I suspect I would think it was a bit shit now though. Running Man and Total Recall (and Terminator, obviously) were so fucking cool back then.

Sorry - off topic. Let's not get into an Arnie discussion on the Blade Runner II thread.

I'm not sure if you're being serious...?

But I remember thinking it was fucking awesome at the time. I suspect I would think it was a bit shit now though. Running Man and Total Recall (and Terminator, obviously) were so fucking cool back then.

Sorry - off topic. Let's not get into an Arnie discussion on the Blade Runner II thread.

I went on a bit of a 80s/early 90s scifi action binge recently and watched Robocop, Running Man, Total Recall, Flight of the Navigator, Mad Max and one I'd never really heard of called The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

Blade Runner 2 ... depends what the story is like and the pace the movie takes I guess.

And I'm alwasy deadly serious

I will not hear a bad word said about Blade Runner. In my opinion it is the most evocative and thought provoking film i've ever seen. It still looks amazing and the "Final Cut" with touched up special effects makes it look better than a lot of films that have been released in recent times. Everything about Blade Runner is great and i would definitely consider it a piece of near perfect cinema and is most definitely Ridley Scott's masterpiece (Alien really hasn't stood the test of time but it is still a great film- I prefer Aliens anyway).

With current budgets and a good story there's no reason as to why a sequel or prequel to Blade Runner couldn't work but the cynic in me says that it's likely to be either a non-starter or a pretty run of the mill sci-fi action-fest. I'll probably go and see it anyway.

I went on a bit of a 80s/early 90s scifi action binge recently and watched Robocop, Running Man, Total Recall, Flight of the Navigator, Mad Max and one I'd never really heard of called The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

Wot, no 'Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone'?

Wot, no 'Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone'?

I'm a busy man, invent me a time stretcher and I'll get on that straight away. Having said that if you had invented a time stretcher I'd be inclined to think I was in the sequel to a classic 80s scifi. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Doubt it's aged well.

Unlike the novels and short stories of Philip K. Dick, why don't they just do '...High Castle' and have done with it. or 'Ubik'.

Maybe the prequel will have all that shit Rutger made up for his speech. It's still a dubious idea.

I love a tttiiiiiimmmmmee Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttcccchhhhhhhhheeeedddddddddd lllllllllllooooooop (you get the idea)

I can't say I've ever found 'Blade Runner' to be ageing badly at all. It always had a weird mix of retro and futuristic going on at the same time. I saw the original voiceover version so-many times it just became what I was used to. The other cuts are good as well, can't really get excited about a preference.

Making another 'Blade Runner' film just seems wrong, regardless of who is in it. I'm very sceptical about this 'Alien' prequel that Scott was supposed to be doing as well, is that still happening? I don't know what the fuck he is up to these days, late career pay-days or something?

I'm very sceptical about this 'Alien' prequel that Scott was supposed to be doing as well, is that still happening?

Out next year titled Prometheus. Written by Damen Lindelof (Lost, Star Trek, Cowboys and Aliens) and starring Charlize Theron and Guy Pearce. Lance Henrikson is rumoured.

From the movie website:

Little is known about Prometheus' plotline as it is still very early in the project's development. But what we can share with you is that the film is set in space for the most part. Similar to that of "ALIEN"; the jumping off point to this project. The film's name "Prometheus" is that of the space vessel's, used by a crew of select individuals who set off to explore and investigate fragments of "Alien DNA".

The film itself revolves around the Space Jockey creature; as seen in the original film ALIEN (1979). When the team of scientists embark on this journey, they get stranded on an Alien world which tests their limits; both mental and physical.

The Aliens themselves are said to be much larger than the original "Xenomorphs" we are used to. However, their overall construction will be easily noticable to that of the original Alien canon.