aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

Really the only thing about the last couple of K.R.I.T releases that makes them be considered mix tapes are that they're free. I'm not sure a "proper album" would be much different.

I thought K.R.I.T wuz ere suffered from a little bit of filler but I find Return of 4eva pretty consistent all the way through although maybe it's high points aren't quite as great.

I liked the Pharoahe Monch and Raekwon albums at first but I haven't listened to them much at all.

Saigon's is great.

Murr do you like Curren$y?

I guess it depends on your definitions. I class both as mixtapes because they were released like mixtapes (online, free, etc.) and lack the tracklisting cohesion of an album. He's decent, but his flow is too similar to other Southern rappers despite his solid production skills.

Yeah, I like Curren$y. Pilot Talk is ace: not much of a chin-stroker, but a fun, breezy album with fantastic instrumentation. I think Pitchfork are a bunch of shitehawks who don't have the first clue about hip-hop but they really nailed this album in their review.

Haven't heard Pilot Talk II. Any goid?

If you like 1 you'll like 2.

Covert Coup is also good and worth getting. Muscle Car Chronicles is out this month too which judging by his consistency will also be good.

We might even get Pilot talk 3 this year too. For someone I like to imagine spends all his time getting high and partying he does a bloody lot of work.

Your description of PT 1 is pretty spot on. One day I definitely want to get really drunk at a party and go around singing the chorus to "The Hangover" and piss everyone off. It would be great. For me.

Death Grips - Ex Military Mixtape

stream the Death Grips album. produced by Hella drummer Zach Hill. Its glitchy and noisy as fuck, and the flow is angry as shit. Very unconventional, messy and chaotic. Not the faint hearted. Sounds like this guy wants to smash the fuck out of all a y'all.

Listen to Klink at least. Black Flag sample. Fuck me. Insane shit. Makes me want to fight someone. Anyone.

stream the Death Grips album. produced by Hella drummer Zach Hill. Its glitchy and noisy as fuck, and the flow is angry as shit. Very unconventional, messy and chaotic. Not the faint hearted. Sounds like this guy wants to smash the fuck out of all a y'all.

Listen to Klink at least. Black Flag sample. Fuck me. Insane shit. Makes me want to fight someone. Anyone.

That's pretty fucking great. I was listening to it on repeat while I was revising last night. Was brilliant.

Mixtapes are free. Tracks will often be the rapper rapping over the beat from someone else's song. Since they are given away free they avoid the legal issues and having to pay to sample other artists' tracks. They might also feature remixes and original tracks which perhaps the artist doesn't think are good enough for an official album.

The line between the two seems to be becoming a little blurred just now though with people like KRIT whose last couple of releases have been handled like mixtapes but contain entirely original material (excepting one remix on return of 4eva) produced by krit himself. I've also seen these releases referred to as "street albums". Then if you look at the Odd Future discography some releases are considered mixtapes and others albums but all of them (until Goblin) were released for free through their own site.

its raining outside so I decided to scan this thread, really enjoying Mikkey Halsted and Freddie Gibbs mixtapes I got and just away to start on bi polar bear. Also got the Atlas mixtape earlier in the thread

Anyone got any recommendations for something "summery" de la soul esque?

I strongly recommend not listening to this with a hangover. On shitty laptop speakers. X-(

i know many wouldnt consider the beastie boys hip-hop but i thought hot sauce committe part 2 was worth a mention

loving this album just now the video that comes with it which you can see here:

its half an hour but well worth the watch just for the comedy value alone

the cast is amazing!

anyone else enjoying this?

It's great and I think a couple of other folk have mentioned it already too.

Don't know why it wouldn't be considered hip hop.

i'd say it was hip hop like but i dont know much about defining genres, just know what i like!

i did a search on "hot sauce committee" but now't came up.

There hasn't been that much chat about but there's been a couple of "the new beasties album is good" posts.

You're right though it should be talked about some more.

I absolutely love Paul's Boutique but find their other albums a bit hit and miss. HSCP2 was a very nice surprise, it's great from start to finish.

There hasn't been that much chat about but there's been a couple of "the new beasties album is good" posts.

You're right though it should be talked about some more.

I absolutely love Paul's Boutique but find their other albums a bit hit and miss. HSCP2 was a very nice surprise, it's great from start to finish.

Paul's Boutique is solid. Check Your Head is my ultimate favourite though. Mega album. I too find the others very patchy, but there's plenty of good tracks to be had.