aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

'Paul's Boutique' has some cracking songs on it but I've never been a huge fan of it as a whole album. 'Ill Communication' and 'Check Your Head' are both better, IMO of course.

Paul's Boutique just has something special for me. The production is just incredible and for me everything on it really works well together. It was one of the first hip hop albums I fell in love with.

Paul's Boutique just has something special for me. The production is just incredible and for me everything on it really works well together. It was one of the first hip hop albums I fell in love with.

Yeah it's not a bad album and I can see why it is so revered in terms of advances in production and sampling, I just never got so into it as the others is all. 'Hello Nasty' is the ultimate patchy album by them, way too many songs and wildly varying quality to boot. 'To the 5 Boroughs' was pretty decent I thought.

Hello Nasty has some great songs on it, but I agree that its crammed with filler.

Check Your Head wins for me just down to its diversity. The instrumentals and punk rock songs are quite a curveball, but it works. Flows brilliantly as an album.

I now own the new album, I shall report back soonest.

It has lots of crappy face drawings in it, one of which is a 'Soda Jerk'.

Nas - illmatic is a perfect record. It might be the greatest rap album ever.

Despite that I've listened to virtually nothing else of his. Probably because I know it just can't be as good and I've heard he got really shit at times.

If this wasn't one of the tracks you checked out, listen now.

[EDIT]

Lee Majors Come Again is definitely one of the highlights on HSCP2

'Hot Sauce Committee Part 2' is better than any rap album by 3 white guys in their 40's should in theory be. I think it's verging cloe to 'Check Your Head'/'Ill Communication' strength.

After 25 years they still remain one of the bright spots in the music world. Hope I get the chance to see them live again, have managed 3 times so far.

'Lee Majors Come Again' is indeed awesome.

What do you guys think of this?

This album has really grown on me. One of my favourite hip-hop releases of the year.

It's arite. I think i've got different hip hop tastes to you and murr becuase none of the albums/artists you've mentioned have done much for me.

I think everyone can agree tho, this is ace:

I'd somehow missed this post before so when I started banging on about Low End Theory I had no idea a Tribe related post had already been made shortly before.

'Hot Sauce Committee Part 2' is better than any rap album by 3 white guys in their 40's should in theory be. I think it's verging cloe to 'Check Your Head'/'Ill Communication' strength.

After 25 years they still remain one of the bright spots in the music world. Hope I get the chance to see them live again, have managed 3 times so far.

'Lee Majors Come Again' is indeed awesome.

agreed, the science doesnt add up. wasnt so fond of the 5 boroughs but HSCP2 is tits

i've never seen them live, always wanted to. i did however catch Ad-rock's side project "BS 2000" at the leeds festival about 10 years ago!

it was the year after RATM played which was the year before rage split.

this has become a Abe Simpson style ramble

anyone ever heard of BS 2000?

BS 2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Goblin's kinda disappointing.

It is the sense that it's not a masterpiece of a game changing record or anything that some had built up hopes for. My initial reaction was very positive but the more I listen to it the more I wish it was shorter. There are some great high moments but also some tracks which just shouldn't have made the cut. saying that overall I do like it more than Bastard. It's a small step up just not the big one I'd hoped for.

Earl is still the best album these guys have put out.

Yonkers is still in my top 5 songs of the year, from all genres.

The new Atmosphere album is... interesting. I don't quite know what to make of it yet. Dark, minimalistic beats with more guitar than every, and the lyrics? Slug's stories are grimmer than they've ever been. There are a few great songs on it that struck me straight away, but I need to get myself into the right mindset for this record again so that I can give it a proper chance.

I'm really enjoying the Atmosphere album. I think Slug really suits the minimalistic beats with just a guitar/piano and a drum beat - like on guarantees/alwayscoming back home to you/the living legends song 'nothing less. His stories do enough for me to keep it interesting.

I really like the sing along choruses he kinda mumbles through. This is only the first listen, but I reckon it's a grower.

EDIT: Crack Pipes by Sage Francis is a belter.

It is the sense that it's not a masterpiece of a game changing record or anything that some had built up hopes for. My initial reaction was very positive but the more I listen to it the more I wish it was shorter. There are some great high moments but also some tracks which just shouldn't have made the cut. saying that overall I do like it more than Bastard. It's a small step up just not the big one I'd hoped for.

Earl is still the best album these guys have put out.

Yonkers is still in my top 5 songs of the year, from all genres.

Dunno, it's got some fantastic stuff on it, but BASTARD just had way more heart, I thought. "She" is great, but there are too many tracks like "Radicals" which should be amazing, stand-alone angry tracks, but just meander way past being interesting.