aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

There is a feature article about Odd Future in the latest new yorker. You can download a pdf of it here earl.pdf

It's a pretty good article but mostly a lot of stuff you could have read before. However the last couple of pages shed new light on the Earl situation. They itnterview his mum and through her they email some questions to earl himself. Interesting reading.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I'm increasingly torn about OF. I really really hate to think that I'm going off them 'now that they're cool' but there is this niggling annoyance about it all that I've been finding it hard to ignore. However, the more I think about it, the more I realise that it's just the icing on the cake.

I have now listened to Goblin a couple of times and it's largely dissapointing. Since I got the 'deluxe edition' download my copy is 18 fucking tracks long. I can honestly say that there is not a single standout song aside from Yonkers and Sandwitches, which were both out months ago (I even paid for both downloads so I could play them out, unsure if they would appear on Goblin). The vocal hooks are absolute garbage and the lyrical content is yawn-worthy after one or two songs about raping/murdering bitches and making them suck your dick in the process - which almost all if not every song is about. As for the only 2 other decent rappers in the click, EARL (for obvious reasons) is not included and Domo appears on one song, while the awful Hodgy Beats gets a handful of chances to shine (screwing nearly all of them up in the process) and the inexcusably awful Jasper & Taco combo pop up near the end causing me to momentarily consider slitting my own throat out of desperation. Tyler's lyrics are probably not getting worse as he gets older, but demand for his rhymes might be greater than what he can currently supply. Word play & flow is increasingly recycled and there are several wince-worthy lines. I think Tyler can churn out some quality beats, but once again aside from the singles the instrumentals here are mostly mediocre. The OF mixtapes were/are plentiful and free, so I never really cared that they were often hit/miss due to the quality of the standout tracks. This is supposed to be a real album though, and I paid a reasonable amount of money for it.

My criticism might seem a little over the top, but just when I feel like i'm being too harsh on the dude, I remember my original point. Tyler is no doubt a fairly good rapper, a producer who shows a lot of promise and definitely a talented pianist. But I simply don't find his persona or conduct particularly entertaining or amusing. Once the novelty of a bunch of (then) largely teenage hip hoppers singing about ridiculous, cartoonish violence wears off (and it did for me a while ago), I stuck around for EARL's stuff (the guy might be a little hung up on the violent lyrics as well, but he IS incredibly young and besides, I dont have to listen to him speaking shit all the time), Domo too (Ahh, weed rap! Something to break up the songs about stabbing bitches in the throat and shoving your cock in it though) and I really think Syd The Kid is probably one of the most talented of the lot despite getting about 0.01% of the column inches (Tyler, Left Brain and the rest of them might be 'producing' but I strongly suspect that Syd is taking care of the mixing and engineering side). I unfollowed Tyler a long time ago on twitter cos I got fucking bored of the insane garbage he spouts out. I marvel at the extent of his sulking at being described 'horrorcore' which is a totally fake genre anyway (and I struggle to see how on earth the tag doesn't apply to OF's musicanyway. Earl's flow is 50% RA The Rugged Man's, 49% Eminems and 1% his own, and he actually talks about 'swinging axes' on more than one occasion), and his disdain towards 'privelaged' kids (is it just me, or are poor teenagers generally not swimming in MacBooks, video cameras and decked from head to toe in the most exclusive skate clothing gear money can buy?). By all accounts he's a total fucking brat who at worst throws regular tantrum, and at best just across as a dumb bastard who can't come up with anything remotely interesting, intelligent or funny to say in public, as excellently demonstrated in the Nardwuar interview. I mean, the guy goes on about his incredibly young age (err, 20? not exactly foetal) and his wild, teenage hormonal mood swings (err, I equate that sort of emotional state more to being about 15/16 than 19/20 but whatever) but the fact is he's an adult man who's got nothing to say outside of his pubescent rape/murder fantasies (LOL BUT ITS NOT REALLY REALL *WHITE AMERIACA*) and after a while it becomes just a little disappointing because you want to hear him rap about something else once in a while and he never does.

And now back to the selfish, pompous part. I can handle the fact that I was into this stuff a good while before most people were. I'm generally not too hung up on following what's brand new in the world of music, let alone the desperate desire to be *seen* doing so. What irritates me is watching them blow up, becoming more and more mediocre while it becomes increasingly impossible to read any form of media about art, culture or music without running straight into the inevitable Tyler feature, AND simultaneously watching clueless people who don't listen to hip hop music or follow any of the associated forms of culture posting up videos of Yonkers on their Facebook pages months after it came out saying things like "by the way, Rap is cool again".

Right, that's about it. Thanks for reading!

I agree with some of the points you made while you went further than I would with some. Also my viewpoint is going to be different as I haven't followed them for as long as you have. I heard about them a bit throughout last year but only really started listening after Earl and Bastard appeared on end of year lists and already at that time media hype was starting to build. I listened a bit the early part of the year and then Yonkers came out and I'll admit that really made me interested. And also made me focus on Tyler more than the rest of the group. It wasn't until a bit later I gave the Earl album the attention it deserves and it became my favourite.

Reaction to Goblin is definitely suffering from being judged against a tougher criteria than other OF releases. Suddenly potential is no longer enough for most people. It sounds as if I like Goblin more than you on the whole though. She, Tron Cat, Fish, Analog and Golden as well as Yonkers and Sandwiches as you mentioned are great tracks to me.

I'd also disagree about Hodgy. I like his verses for the most part. Although I wish his delivery on record matched how great it was on the Fallon performance. I'd rate him above Domo. Although I admit that there is a lot i haven't heard or heard enough of both.

The lyrics are a little tiresome. The amount written about them even more so. All I'll really say is that they don't bother me that much but yes I would like him to change to some different subject matter. The same goes for Earl. I'd like to think his seclusion period may lead him to taking a different approach with his lyrics in the future.

As for being annoyed by their growing presence in the mainstream. They have music worth listening to and more people listening to it is a cool thing to me. Whether Yonkers has been out for 1 day, 6 months or 2 years. Granted that it is acceptable to want to punch anyone whose reaction the their OF discovery is to OF is to declare that Hip Hop has been saved, in the face.

I'm really enjoying the Atmosphere album. I think Slug really suits the minimalistic beats with just a guitar/piano and a drum beat - like on guarantees/alwayscoming back home to you/the living legends song 'nothing less. His stories do enough for me to keep it interesting.

I really like the sing along choruses he kinda mumbles through. This is only the first listen, but I reckon it's a grower.

EDIT: Crack Pipes by Sage Francis is a belter.

Guarantees is my favourite Atmosphere song. I've listened to the new one a few more times and I'm really enjoying it. Ant's evolution as a producer has been fascinating and, while I don't think it's as good as Lemons, this is a grand album. The Last to Say is probably my top track.

I bought Tyler the Creator's Goblin album. I know absolutely nothing about Odd Future, I'm buying it based on what people have said about it. Haven't done that since I was 15 so it'd better not be pish.

New Beasties is ACE. Love it. Also took the opportunity to address a hole in my CD collection and purchase this ridiculous thing...

mf-doom-operation-doomsday-lunch-box.jpg

DOOM is the boy.

Guest Giles Walker
I'm increasingly torn about OF. I really really hate to think that I'm going off them 'now that they're cool' but there is this niggling annoyance about it all that I've been finding it hard to ignore. However, the more I think about it, the more I realise that it's just the icing on the cake.

I have now listened to Goblin a couple of times and it's largely dissapointing. Since I got the 'deluxe edition' download my copy is 18 fucking tracks long. I can honestly say that there is not a single standout song aside from Yonkers and Sandwitches, which were both out months ago (I even paid for both downloads so I could play them out, unsure if they would appear on Goblin). The vocal hooks are absolute garbage and the lyrical content is yawn-worthy after one or two songs about raping/murdering bitches and making them suck your dick in the process - which almost all if not every song is about. As for the only 2 other decent rappers in the click, EARL (for obvious reasons) is not included and Domo appears on one song, while the awful Hodgy Beats gets a handful of chances to shine (screwing nearly all of them up in the process) and the inexcusably awful Jasper & Taco combo pop up near the end causing me to momentarily consider slitting my own throat out of desperation. Tyler's lyrics are probably not getting worse as he gets older, but demand for his rhymes might be greater than what he can currently supply. Word play & flow is increasingly recycled and there are several wince-worthy lines. I think Tyler can churn out some quality beats, but once again aside from the singles the instrumentals here are mostly mediocre. The OF mixtapes were/are plentiful and free, so I never really cared that they were often hit/miss due to the quality of the standout tracks. This is supposed to be a real album though, and I paid a reasonable amount of money for it.

My criticism might seem a little over the top, but just when I feel like i'm being too harsh on the dude, I remember my original point. Tyler is no doubt a fairly good rapper, a producer who shows a lot of promise and definitely a talented pianist. But I simply don't find his persona or conduct particularly entertaining or amusing. Once the novelty of a bunch of (then) largely teenage hip hoppers singing about ridiculous, cartoonish violence wears off (and it did for me a while ago), I stuck around for EARL's stuff (the guy might be a little hung up on the violent lyrics as well, but he IS incredibly young and besides, I dont have to listen to him speaking shit all the time), Domo too (Ahh, weed rap! Something to break up the songs about stabbing bitches in the throat and shoving your cock in it though) and I really think Syd The Kid is probably one of the most talented of the lot despite getting about 0.01% of the column inches (Tyler, Left Brain and the rest of them might be 'producing' but I strongly suspect that Syd is taking care of the mixing and engineering side). I unfollowed Tyler a long time ago on twitter cos I got fucking bored of the insane garbage he spouts out. I marvel at the extent of his sulking at being described 'horrorcore' which is a totally fake genre anyway (and I struggle to see how on earth the tag doesn't apply to OF's musicanyway. Earl's flow is 50% RA The Rugged Man's, 49% Eminems and 1% his own, and he actually talks about 'swinging axes' on more than one occasion), and his disdain towards 'privelaged' kids (is it just me, or are poor teenagers generally not swimming in MacBooks, video cameras and decked from head to toe in the most exclusive skate clothing gear money can buy?). By all accounts he's a total fucking brat who at worst throws regular tantrum, and at best just across as a dumb bastard who can't come up with anything remotely interesting, intelligent or funny to say in public, as excellently demonstrated in the Nardwuar interview. I mean, the guy goes on about his incredibly young age (err, 20? not exactly foetal) and his wild, teenage hormonal mood swings (err, I equate that sort of emotional state more to being about 15/16 than 19/20 but whatever) but the fact is he's an adult man who's got nothing to say outside of his pubescent rape/murder fantasies (LOL BUT ITS NOT REALLY REALL *WHITE AMERIACA*) and after a while it becomes just a little disappointing because you want to hear him rap about something else once in a while and he never does.

And now back to the selfish, pompous part. I can handle the fact that I was into this stuff a good while before most people were. I'm generally not too hung up on following what's brand new in the world of music, let alone the desperate desire to be *seen* doing so. What irritates me is watching them blow up, becoming more and more mediocre while it becomes increasingly impossible to read any form of media about art, culture or music without running straight into the inevitable Tyler feature, AND simultaneously watching clueless people who don't listen to hip hop music or follow any of the associated forms of culture posting up videos of Yonkers on their Facebook pages months after it came out saying things like "by the way, Rap is cool again".

Right, that's about it. Thanks for reading!

tumblr_llpoqqG3fA1qzb1flo1_500.png

Guest Giles Walker
Am I right to think that this is something you don't approve of? Do you prefer a satchel to a backpack?

Why do you need a bag of any sort?

All property is theft in my opinion, that is why i ride with just the clothes on my back.

I am unhappy about even having to do that tbh, but the man forces me to do so.